Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,951,759 times

Advertisements

Okay so I know it's time that Orlando get a new place for our great team that promises to be atop the NBA for years to come, however I'm one of those crazy fans that grew up going to this building for games and I get very choked up when I think of how soon it will be probably be blow-up after the Magic move to the new Amway Center this October.

Formerly known as The O-rena, this building is a very nice looking arena both inside and out. It has those really cool looking tracer lights that flash while the team is introduced and right after they win a game. Even after new arena's across the country started getting those "LED banners" that wrap around the upper bowl, the Magic only installed it on the center portion and left the classic styling of the building around the rest. I'm sorry but the bright flashing and unintelligible nature of those things will always take away from the true NBA experience. Magic games have always been about the game, not the venue, and I will miss that, it was unique.

Secondly, the fact that every seat in that house was a great view because the design of the bowl (which also makes it a very loud homecourt). The new arena will barely add 2,000 seats to the total which means that we will consequently add luxury boxes and bars that I'll never sit in, thus making the only seats I'll ever be able to buy worse and higher up.

Lastly, I will miss the fact that we had an aesthetically nice looking building, where everybody could see the court great, and the luxury folks we're up in "sky boxes" far away from the real fans who'd rather drink a beer at tailgate, flag down the peanut guy (remember the one who looked like and claimed to be OJ ha ha??), and enjoy the game not a building.

I will love the new arena, that I'm sure of. I love our team. But I know some of you probably feel the same way I do about loosing a nice building (that keeps our teams expenses very low since it's freakin' paid off) in the name of "progress". It will be a stomach churning day for me when this:

gets turned into this:

Share your memories, photos, and game highlights with me on this thread and let's allow a piece of Central Florida's limited history go down with some dignity.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 04-15-2010 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: typo correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Seriously, if you've never been in the non-public areas you have no idea of the poor condition of that building. The infrastructure is out of date and the below grade areas are just nasty. On top of that it's barely ADA compliant.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:40 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
another reason why they are only adding about 2,000 more regular seats (which is alot of u think about it) is because the regular seats are going to be much wider and spread out than the ones at the old arena. So that's a plus. Everyone won't be so crammed anymore and people will have leg room and room for people to pass by infront of you. I will miss the old arena but you gotta admit it was poorly designed and outdated.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:51 PM

GLS I totally agree with you that 2,000 extra seats is a lot, especially since they will be MUCH roomier as you too noted. However, it's the same feeling you get when they tear down your favorite neighborhood movie theater and build a stadium-seating megaplex in it's place. Yes, you're thrilled (as I am about the Amway Center), however, you really liked what you had and enjoyed every movie you ever saw there. Put it to you this way, and no annerk, I've never been that fortunate or unfortunate as you imply to have been "behind-the-scenes, the current arena has some things I really like about it like: good views from EVERY seat, loudness factor, and what I consider to be more interesting stylings as compared with the mega arenas of today which are a little overdone in my opinion. Remember, it's not as much about the building for me as the game/concert/whatever. Anyways, guess some people might try rolling in on a wheelchair for those guaranteed courtside seats. Check out the Amway Center virtual tour and you'll know what I mean. Anyways, back to the thread any memories from you two, anything you liked about it? Any pictures anyone?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
My best memory is watching the Red Hot Chili Peppers make it "snow" in the arena with what must have been a ton of confetti (no exaggeration--you couldn't see the stage from less than half way back with all the confetti--it was unreal!) while it was actually snowing outside in very, very rare Florida weather.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My best memory is watching the Red Hot Chili Peppers make it "snow" in the arena with what must have been a ton of confetti (no exaggeration--you couldn't see the stage from less than half way back with all the confetti--it was unreal!) while it was actually snowing outside in very, very rare Florida weather.
That sounds pretty sweet! Man don't even get me started on some great shows that I've seen there. Standing in gen admission though, so I guess my rant about the good view from the seats is not valid for this point. Actually now you have me truly excited and truly reminded why we need a new arena, no more (or at least less) trips to Tampa's St. Pete Times Forum!!! Although that said, it always seems like big acts alternate between the two cities, maybe now we'll be a tad more dominate for concert venues.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,755 times
As much as I am going to miss the O-rena, I am extremely excited for the new arena. I hoping that we are able to get some big names to come back to Orlando, I am so tired of driving to Tampa and sometimes even West Palm Beach or Miami to see a concert. I love going to Magic games and have been a Season Ticket Holder in the past and the arena now is just out dated. I went to the Boston Garden last year to see the Magic play in Boston and their arena was amazing compared to the Amway. If you wanted to get drink or use the bathroom you did not have to miss half the quarter to do so. There were no lines for anything. Every level had their own concourse, bathrooms, concessions, and shops.I watched the Inside the Magic last night that showcased the new arena and there are some great ammenities available even if you are not able to afford expensive seats. From what I understood there are going to be a few areas open to the public even if there is not an event at the arena. One thing I hope they put in which may sound weird is cupholders. Since the seats and aisles are so tight, drinks tend to get spilled all the time and it is hard to balance eating and drinking while trying to cheer on your team! Can't wait until October though, I am definitely going to buy tickets to see the first Magic game in the new Amway Center!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
GLS I totally agree with you that 2,000 extra seats is a lot, especially since they will be MUCH roomier as you too noted. However, it's the same feeling you get when they tear down your favorite neighborhood movie theater and build a stadium-seating megaplex in it's place. Yes, you're thrilled (as I am about the Amway Center), however, you really liked what you had and enjoyed every movie you ever saw there. Put it to you this way, and no annerk, I've never been that fortunate or unfortunate as you imply to have been "behind-the-scenes, the current arena has some things I really like about it like: good views from EVERY seat, loudness factor, and what I consider to be more interesting stylings as compared with the mega arenas of today which are a little overdone in my opinion. Remember, it's not as much about the building for me as the game/concert/whatever. Anyways, guess some people might try rolling in on a wheelchair for those guaranteed courtside seats. Check out the Amway Center virtual tour and you'll know what I mean. Anyways, back to the thread any memories from you two, anything you liked about it? Any pictures anyone?
Yes I know what you mean. I am pretty young (18), and I was born here so the old arena has been around for as long as I can remember. The first time I went to it was in 3rd grade on field trip to a local educational game show that they filmed with local elementary schools for the audience. That was when it was called the TD waterhouse. Other good memories I've had there were going to the Dew Tours with my friends, watching my little sister's cheer competitions with the family, and of course the magic games. A few years back when I was at a magic game, the row I was sitting in won the thing they do and we were all shown on camera, got free t-shirts, free chick fil a, and a ton of confetti fell on us. Good times.

I am looking forward to many more good memories in the new arena though. The virtual tour looks great:

YouTube - Amway Center

I think its cools how there is going to be a bar/food court area with view of the court. The "ozone" sections also looks cool. I've also heard that there will be tons of shops, a sit down restaurant and nice bars in the arena. Another thing I noticed is that the seats are gonna be blue for the magic, instead of red like the old arena. That will complement our team well. The score board will be state of the art and the first of its kind in any arena in the NBA, using new technology:

Press Releases - Amway Center

Its going to be the most technological advanced and "greenest" arena in the US when it opens.

Last edited by GLS2010; 04-15-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,514,033 times
Aww.. I will miss that arena. I'm not a big sports fan but I can't even remember the first time I was in there, I grew up with it. I remember going to Solar Bears games when I was little I went to a Christmas celebration there once where the entire place was filled and everyone was given a little plastic light.. and all the lights were off except for the stage at the center and the entire audience looked like stars.. so magical. And my high school graduation was there.. Ah well, I'm sure the new arena will be beautiful and will not only be great for games, but attract better/bigger touring shows as well

Old 04-15-2010, 10:41 PM

189 posts, read 436,449 times
I will miss the Amway Arena because that is where my graduation was held, other than that i'm looking forward more for the Amway Center. Plus the location of the Amway Arena feels disconnected from downtown, even though it is in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando