Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,951 times

Advertisements

"and the lack of competition or affiliation with the USAKarate, the Olympic Karate committee and the only one that really matters"

It's a big world out there. lot's of great org's. you need to get out more.

"Its unfortunate Karate is that way but like Boxing it has too many governing bodies and its about time Karate got a single entity to look for in a school. Unfortunately, your school is not affiliated with them.
"

We are a member of the Chinese Karate Federation. one of the most respected Kenpo Organizations in the world, of which we are the state representative school for Florida.

"you are not a Grandmaster that I am aware of, I would not consider any school without a Grandmaster to be a great one when there are Grandmasters present in the same city."

You need to stop drinking the koolaid my friend. Although you should respect the belt, don't be blinded by it. I am a 4th in kenpo and will never be a grandmaster. There are many great schools that are not run by grandmasters. So, sorry you feel like that, like I said before you really need to get out more and see what's out there, you're still young and have a lot to experience.

"As for my real identity, I don't state it for personal reasons that are none of your concern."

Yes, you're right, none of my business. But just know it's every bit of anyone's concern who's children you solicit to teach. and they should ask and have a right to know! You should hide nothing from your students!

"Rholborn, you have such strong feelings towards Champion Karate and Master Freidman, what other schools and instructors have you attended to give any comparison to if you don't mind sharing?"

Let me interject here if I may. Rebecca can not answer because you complained to the webmaster because she exposed you for who you are, and got her kicked off, so now she can't answer. Nice move. again, I am no master, my students just address me as Mr. Friedman. A person does not have to attend different schools to from an opinion of one. Rebecca never claimed to be an expert as you have, and she never spoke negatively about someone else as you have, that's why I asked you from what experience you base your opinions on, and now we all know. VERY limited ones. I am done with this conversation now as I am very busy. Let me leave you with another quote since I can tell you didn't quite get the first one. From Bruce Lee....."You must empty your cup if you want to taste my Tea." If you ever want a taste, you know where to find me. Good Night.

Mike Friedman
407-322-1434
Champion Karate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM

25 posts, read 89,099 times
Not to sure about Lake Mary but there is a wide variety of schools in central Florida. It also depends on how serious your family is. Are you wanting them to train in similar styles or are you looking for a day care atmosphere. I would drive down and just go visit schools in the area. Most classes will give you a free week trial basis, so look around and get a feel for the instructors. Make sure you choose wisely cause a lot of the schools will sucker you into a CONTRACT, which is stupid.

Also for the above poster, Enders, who stated that there must be some type of competition to make your school good. I laugh at that. Playing tag, as is in most competition, who touched who first, does not make your school or any school, or any martial artist good. There is also a big racket in my opinion amongst some schools who say you have to compete to advance. It so happens they make you go to each others in house tournaments to make more money.

It's a little drive, around 40 minutes, to St Cloud but we have a great Kenpo School there. The 2 instructors are awesome. They are not a day care, we do not compete, and have No contracts. We are affiliated with the AKKI Organization. Premier Kenpo Karate.

GL

Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
Okay fine, I take back everything I said about the school. OP and any others reading this. You should base your decision on a Martial Arts school on what your personal interest and goal is as I originally said.

I never said competition should be required but if the person does want to compete it should be an option. I've never affiliated myself with any school that requires a student to compete and certainly not for advancement.

Pick your school based on the affiliation you want to be a part of:
AKKI Organization - American Kenpo Karate International
Chinese Karate Federation - CKF Chinese Karate Federation (http://www.chinesekaratefederation.com/index.html - broken link)
Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Karate - Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do
American Taekwondo Association - American Taekwondo Association | Martial Arts, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Tae-Kwon-Do
US National Karate Federation - Welcome to USA Karate, the NGB For the Sport of Karate in the United States
US Taekwondo Federation - USA Taekwondo
Championship Karate is a school and organization within itself - Championship Martial Arts | Building Champions in Life
Kukkiwon - ±¹±â¿ø

Look at each carefully. Consider its core beliefs, motto, if you trust them, how many schools are affiliated with them, how long they've been around, and what purpose they serve. As a student you are paying for it in your membership fees so see what you are getting out of a school being affiliated with the organization.

I won't speak about Karate because I've already done so in regards to their organization but I will offer some reference about the two Taekwondo Organizations. I am clearly uninformed the Chinese Karate Federation looks entirely legitimate with representation in 5 whole states and renting real-estate out on their website..

Anyways on to things I haven't spoke of yet:

There is the ATA and the USA-TKDF formerly the USTU. The ATA is the official US representative for Taekwondo under the International Taekwondo Federation. The USA-TKDF is the official US representative for Taekwondo under the World Taekwondo Federation. The Olympics is under USA-TKDF because it is ran by the WTF.

The two styles have differences and came about because of The Republic of Korea. WTF is the South Korean sport. ITF is the North Korean sport. Interestingly enough you won't find that on schools websites that are affiliated with the ITF.

Kukkiwon is the official South Korean Organization closely affiliated with the WTF for grading purposes. Think of Kukkiwon as the agency that verifies a person knows what they are suppose to know while the WTF holds competitions. Kukkiwon Certification is the only certification you should absolutely look for in a Taekwondo school regardless of whether you want to compete, without this the instructor can buy a belt anywhere, as many do. You must be a Black Belt under Kukkiwon to compete in the Taekwondo World Championships or the Olympics. As a 1st Degree Black Belt you can generally be considered an Instructor. Reaching 4th Degree Black Belt requires not only knowledge but also significant hours logged teaching, at this rank you are a Master. At 7th Dan you have most likely been coaching and teaching for many years and have trained numerous students to blackbelt level. Testing at these high levels also include essays and interviews along with demonstration of mastery. At 7th Dan and above you are thus considered a Grandmaster.

-Ender
Kukkiwon Certified and Member of WTF

Trained under Grandmaster Sung Hyun 'Peter' Paik (school formerly in Casselberry) []Error
Trained under Grandmaster Joo-Yul Oh (school formerly in Longwood) []Grand Master Oh - Oh’s Tae Kwon Do & Martial Arts, Inc.

Last edited by EndersDrift; 04-20-2010 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
looking for a kenpo school in orlando, I move from WA state. I was trainning in kenpo 2000 (Skip Hancock) any schools around with similar styles?

JAF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando