Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times

Advertisements

It's probably "worth" $300-400. Not a very good car to begin with, not real popular restored. Low performance, mediocre handling. Problem with many of these low level cars is they cost more to properly restore than they're worth.

In essence, it's worth zero. Find a decent one to buy instead if you love the GT for some reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The only way to get to Coroico, Bolivia, is on the world-famous "highway of death". In Coroico, I saw a Ferrari parked on a side street, all dusty and looking like it hadn't been driven in a long time.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
from the sounds of it, it's free if you know someone with a flatbed!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I've got a 66 mustang on blocks out back slowly deteriorating.

I've restored a 66 and 3 68's years ago.

People will ask if it is for sale and then offer $500 for it.

Easier to say it's not for sale.

Got a 62 Bug in the carport... clean car and same story.

Starting to get notes on my 91 Silverado Styleside... 100% stock with the high output 5.7 V8

I use/need the truck for towing my car trailers... not worth selling because I could not replace the utility for what I'm offered.

On the other hand... I have bought some cars just knocking on doors... I shoot them a price and see where it goes.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Well...here's what you get for $900....or least that is what the seller 'wishes' he could get. Opel : Opel gt | eBay

Somewhere in eastern NY is my 1970 Opel Gt. Pretty car. Mechanical POS. Last I saw it the electrical system had failed, once again, and I left it on the side of the road and called the dealer. For all I know he might still be scratching his head on how to repair it.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
What gets me more is when they show off these beauties in movies just to destroy them. Vin Diesel, Quentin Tarrantino and like minded directors/producers should get severely punished for such atrocities. A bit of CGI technology really would keep those Challengers and GTOs on the road.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
I recall the Opel GTs were popular for about 3 years and then they all wore out. This is not a resto investment car...it is a parts car. Not far from me is an old house which has a shed in the back . In the shed is a 64 or 65 mustang. They have laid junk on it and put old trash cans in front of it etc and it is obvious some senile old fool will not sell it for any price and they dont even want people to see the junker. It would be fun to remind them that when they die the car will go for pennys on the dollar and some rich man car collector will be able to add the car to HIS collection...lol

Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times
Exactly... The fools who own a "classic" but let it just sit and deteriorate because they won't sell it are only fooling themselves. Eventually, it will either rot beyond repair, or they will die and some heir will gladly sell it for pennies on the dollar.
Oh, so many neat cars I've run across that the owners wouldn't part with and eventually became worthless...

Old 08-08-2013, 04:32 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
It kills me when I see these classics for sale that arent in that bad shape and they "will not sell whole car, part out only" or others that say if not sold by Monday will be scrapped...ugh.. Id love to save them all.

I even see potential in cars rotting away in the ground. I tend to visualize the end result rather than what is in front of me. If I had a barn it would probably be full of old cars regardless of shape, just to save them from demise. It would be some sort of antique rust/wreck museum because I would never have enough money to restore them all.

I have a 66 Mustang that I have been restoring since 2005...and thats only one car, couldnt imagine if I had more, lol

Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
These old senile fools dont want anyone to have their cars. After seeing a 66 Fairlane GTA parked beside a house for several years deteriorating (I saw rats on the dash) I finally stopped and asked the older woman living there about the car. She said that no way would her son would sale it. I said did she think several thousand cash money would change his mind? She said "OH NO MY LATE HUSBAND GAVE HIM THE CAR AND HE SAID HE WOULDN'T EVEN TRADE IT FOR A BRAND NEW THUNDERBIRD" I said well obviously he loves it very much from the dilapidated condition it is in. I then left. go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands