Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I would guess that Peugeot would work a deal with some other manufacturer to plug into their dealer network. It would be really expensive to try to establish a new set of dealerships.

I winter at a ski resort and summer on the coast. I want an AWD wagon with some towing capacity for boats, dump runs with yard debris, and occasional U Haul trailer rentals. I'd certainly take a look at a Peugeot 508 SW AWD wagon. In Europe, it has a 3,900 pound towing capacity. I doubt the diesel would make it here but it gets fantastic fuel economy with the diesel. If the price is right, the warranty is right, and there's enough of a dealer network in my driving pattern, I'd certainly look at it.

I think a hurdle they'll face is trying to partner with a successful brand, I don't think they'd be doing themselves a favor by partnering with a small 'boutique' brand. I remember in the '70s there was a franchised Kawasaki motorcycle dealer whose 'store' was two rental garages in a strip of them in Jersey City NJ and a franchised Renault dealer on a backroad in NJ that was little more than a converted gas station. Those days are gone with manufacturers now demanding multi-million $$$ palaces to sell their wares. Peugeot will need both a good product line as well as a very good marketing plan to convince profitable dealers to give showroom/lot space, parts department space, service space, as well as trained sales, service, parts, and warranty people to a 'new' brand (even though Peugeot is the 2nd oldest in the world). Years ago a 'hobby' dealer could survive in the US market, I have doubts that's still possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 07:13 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The only way a European-manufactured car can make it in the US is as a luxury car or luxury sport sedan with luxury car prices. The labor costs are too high to compete in the mid-market. Think Volvo, not Buick. In Europe, you can buy Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volvo, etc in a base trim level priced competitively with other makes. I rent them in Europe. They're nothing like what you see in the US. Those cars don't ever make it to the United States because they're not competitive. You only see the top trim level in the US.
Yep and vice versa American cars cannot compete there due to fuel costs and emission restrictions/taxes.

You can buy a Mustang 5.0 but it would be crazy insane costs for petro and emissions taxes.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:51 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Considering it will probably look similar to their Mexican lineup, no thanks.

https://www.peugeot.com.mx/gama/vehi...ticulares.html

I do like the 508 SW, but I doubt we'll get that over here.

https://www.peugeot.fr/gamme/nos-vehicules/508-sw.html
You're probably right for the most part, sadly.

I'd love for them to bring the 508 SW, but they'll probably just pump more boring CUV's into the US market, plus maybe a sedan or two.

Last edited by BrianGC; 02-27-2019 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 08:17 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Yep and vice versa American cars cannot compete there due to fuel costs and emission restrictions/taxes.

You can buy a Mustang 5.0 but it would be crazy insane costs for petro and emissions taxes.
Interestingly enough, while Ford engineered the turbo 4 Mustang to accommodate the European market, last I checked the 5.0 was outselling it in Europe roughly 2 to 1.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:25 AM

342 posts, read 318,039 times
It's going to be tough for PSA in the US market:

- PSA has no SUVs or Pickups, so that part of the U.S. market is gone for them.

- So they need to compete on sedans. They do have some nice sedans, but people who want reliability but not much else (except for Mazda which do make exciting cars) will continue to buy the Asian brands. It will be tough for them to compete with the BMW/Mercedes/Audi cars, which are generally better engineered and more reliable than French cars.

- Their dealer network will likely remain small, and limited to larger metros.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:23 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
It's going to be tough for PSA in the US market:

- PSA has no SUVs or Pickups, so that part of the U.S. market is gone for them.

- So they need to compete on sedans. They do have some nice sedans, but people who want reliability but not much else (except for Mazda which do make exciting cars) will continue to buy the Asian brands. It will be tough for them to compete with the BMW/Mercedes/Audi cars, which are generally better engineered and more reliable than French cars.

- Their dealer network will likely remain small, and limited to larger metros.
I know some dealers have more than one brand they sell. I wonder if they can work through a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership now that they’re down to the Charger, 300, and Challenger for cars.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
PSA has no SUVs
Peugeot has several SUVS.
https://www.peugeot.co.uk/suv-range/
They're not particularly attractive or even weird, so I don't see a compelling reason to buy one over an established brand.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:02 PM

342 posts, read 318,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Peugeot has several SUVS.
https://www.peugeot.co.uk/suv-range/
They're not particularly attractive or even weird, so I don't see a compelling reason to buy one over an established brand.
I never knew that. I don't recall seeing these over my dozen times in Europe. Perhaps Europeans aren't as big SUV fans as we are in the U.S., and they don't sell that many. The styling reminds me of Hyundai.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
I never knew that. I don't recall seeing these over my dozen times in Europe. Perhaps Europeans aren't as big SUV fans as we are in the U.S., and they don't sell that many. The styling reminds me of Hyundai.
Just as in the US, CUV's are taking over representing almost 30% of sales in Europe last year.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Brings back memories - I had a lightly used Peugeot 604 sedan as my first car after my undergrad degree, way back when. At that time, it had a lot of advanced engineering features that were uncommon or unavailable on American cars, and Japanese cars will still not ready yet for prime time. It was comfortable and drove very well, on an entirely different level than American cars of that time (early 1980s), which were very crudely designed. Servicing the car was a major PITA. I don't know if Peugeots today will have the usual European levels of reliability (i.e. not especially reliable), but if they are more on par with the better Japanese brands, I'd be curious about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands