Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:43 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
If they didn't have all of the costs associated with building in Europe, they might've made money. Now GM will be out of pensions worldwide.
Or maybe they were just bad at making cars for the European market. It's not like they were only auto company in the European market with pension obligations to contend with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
It's a lot easier to understand why Peugeot needs the US market than to understand why the US market needs Peugeot. That is the textbook definition of bad strategy.

Strategically it would make a lot more sense for them to acquire an automaker that already has a dealer base in the US.

Mitsubishi would make a lot of sense since they have long cooperated, have complementary product ranges and geograpical coverage. The cost of getting established in the US are massive and they will undobutedly see strong competition from Chinese manufacturers also looking to establish a beachhead in the highly competitive US market. I'm pretty sure Peugeot will fail this time too. Their only differentiator that I can think of are some weird design quirks.
Mitsubishi just got snapped up by Renault-Nissan so that's a no-go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:01 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Or maybe they were just bad at making cars for the European market. It's not like they were only auto company in the European market with pension obligations to contend with.
If you don't make luxury cars, you've got problems making money there.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:29 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
I hear they are quite reliable.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
I'd jump on the DS 5LS.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:52 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
It's a lot easier to understand why Peugeot needs the US market than to understand why the US market needs Peugeot. That is the textbook definition of bad strategy.

Strategically it would make a lot more sense for them to acquire an automaker that already has a dealer base in the US.

Mitsubishi would make a lot of sense since they have long cooperated, have complementary product ranges and geograpical coverage. The cost of getting established in the US are massive and they will undobutedly see strong competition from Chinese manufacturers also looking to establish a beachhead in the highly competitive US market. I'm pretty sure Peugeot will fail this time too. Their only differentiator that I can think of are some weird design quirks.

I think it'll very much depend on if they've changed their attitude or not. During their last US foray they saw themselves competing with Mercedes and BMW but didn't amp up their design/quality control to compete in that area. Between a huge variety of different makes available and the added hassle of lemon laws that tend to be considerably laxer if they exist at all in other markets the US can be a lucrative but very tough market.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I hear they are quite reliable.

But often plagued by niggling, easily fixed problems. For example, the 505's blower motor had a steel bushing, when the temp went down it squealed. Rather than replace that bushing with an Oilite one that would likely have cured the problem they'd just keep replacing the bad ones under warranty with the same old steel bushing.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:02 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Could they compete on the same level as upscale, but not luxury, brands like Buick and Acura for example?

Old 02-26-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Could they compete on the same level as upscale, but not luxury, brands like Buick and Acura for example?

I think they could IF they make the commitment but that's a pretty big if. I owned one for a while and knew some dealership personnel, my impression was that they were about 98% there but lacked the drive to go that last 2% and realistically, even low end cars sold in the US do so. The US is a tough market, from what I understand it wasn't all that long ago that in some European countries a manufacturer could get away with offering maybe a 6 month or 1 year warranty when 3/36 was pretty standard in the US. That and our litigious society can make a huge difference in the cost of doing business. The US is a big market but it's also extremely competitive. Any manufacturer wanting to succeed here definitely needs to bring their 'A' game.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:11 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I would guess that Peugeot would work a deal with some other manufacturer to plug into their dealer network. It would be really expensive to try to establish a new set of dealerships.

I winter at a ski resort and summer on the coast. I want an AWD wagon with some towing capacity for boats, dump runs with yard debris, and occasional U Haul trailer rentals. I'd certainly take a look at a Peugeot 508 SW AWD wagon. In Europe, it has a 3,900 pound towing capacity. I doubt the diesel would make it here but it gets fantastic fuel economy with the diesel. If the price is right, the warranty is right, and there's enough of a dealer network in my driving pattern, I'd certainly look at it.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:17 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

The only way a European-manufactured car can make it in the US is as a luxury car or luxury sport sedan with luxury car prices. The labor costs are too high to compete in the mid-market. Think Volvo, not Buick. In Europe, you can buy Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volvo, etc in a base trim level priced competitively with other makes. I rent them in Europe. They're nothing like what you see in the US. Those cars don't ever make it to the United States because they're not competitive. You only see the top trim level in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands