Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:15 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,723 times

Advertisements

I can not get over how tacky everyone looks today. They need to lose weight, get a haircut, iron their clothes, shave and wear some makeup. Sometimes I wish women were more like June Cleaver (Leave it to Beaver) than Paris Hilton. Are in in agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 02:24 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,849 times
Well, almost. I can't picture myself washing floors in a string of pearls, a dress or high heels. I dress casual myself, but I do not wear make-up, I don't believe in it. As I posted elsewhere, what you see is what you get. There will be no surprises with this face in the morning. I take very good care of my face and skin though and even dressed casually you can manage to look good. I just lost 50lbs so I can relate to anyone overweight and I know whata struggle it is. With women having to work so that families can make ends meet, not many of them are cooking from scratch anymore (I do). It's the processed cardboard food that is turning everybody obese, I'm convinced.
As for ironing clothes, I make sure that I'm there when the clothes are done in the dryer and either hang them or fold the wrinkes out. Have you ever had to iron clothes? Not my idea of a good time. Now ,for the haircut, I don't know what you mean by that. This is just my perspective you understand.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:33 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
I love the carefree spirit of non-ironed clothes, unruly hair, bare feet and fresh faced unmade up women, and unshaved men--it's called the natural look.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:44 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,852 times
Dingler, you need to move to Palm Beach!
You get great service in the good restautants (at least the majority) there, too.
Oh, our buddy got cited for walking up Worth Avenue shirtless
Honest, the policeman told him to put a shirt on & this was a warning. (Hey ya gotta repect it, they don't pay a gazillion & have town ordinances there for nothin' )
FYI: Just when you see Rod Stewart, you'll have to excuse the beige silk slacks with no undies sometimes

Old 06-23-2007, 05:33 PM

110 posts, read 777,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I can not get over how tacky everyone looks today. They need to lose weight, get a haircut, iron their clothes, shave and wear some makeup. Sometimes I wish women were more like June Cleaver (Leave it to Beaver) than Paris Hilton. Are in in agreement?
Let me guess, Dingler: You've never had a weight problem, right? Otherwise you would be more sympathetic toward people who do. I've been lucky but I have several friends who have to work at being what society calls an "acceptable" or "healthy" weight constantly for anywhere from 10 to 40 years. Saying "they need to lose weight" like it's an easy thing for anyone to do, isn't very sensitive of you.

Haircuts: Compared to the 1940s/1950s looks, today's styles are a lot more casual and hooray for that! Many people like a tousled, care-free look. Others just don't have the patience to be bothered to fuss to get or keep every hair in place.

Shave: Big difference between the homeless guy who needs a shave, and the James Denton (Mike on Desperate Housewives) or Hugh Laurie (Dr. House) look. The "slightly scruffy" look can be VERY sexy so don't knock it!

Wear some makeup: I hate the feel of makeup on my skin, so unless I'm going somewhere special I don't wear any. Dingler, why don't you wear makeup? Because you're a guy? Then shame on you for being sexist! Seriously, if it's "okay" for men to not wear makeup then why is it so terrible for a woman to choose to not put layers of chemical/synthetic glop on her face and eyes? Sorry, this is a hot button for me.

IMHO clothing and makeup etc is supposed to be all about what makes the person wearing them feel comfortable with themselves, not about what other people think of how they look. Different strokes for different folks. Dress rules for the workplace are another matter but if someone has a serious problem with how they're required to dress for work it might be time to look around for another job.

I'd rather stand next to an overweight clean unshaven or un-made-up person with slightly rumpled clothes and less than perfect hair, than next to someone who looks like a magazine cover but reeks of either cigarette smoke or a half-gallon of perfume or aftershave!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:37 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,958,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdrgal View Post
Let me guess, Dingler: You've never had a weight problem, right? Otherwise you would be more sympathetic toward people who do. I've been lucky but I have several friends who have to work at being what society calls an "acceptable" or "healthy" weight constantly for anywhere from 10 to 40 years. Saying "they need to lose weight" like it's an easy thing for anyone to do, isn't very sensitive of you.

Haircuts: Compared to the 1940s/1950s looks, today's styles are a lot more casual and hooray for that! Many people like a tousled, care-free look. Others just don't have the patience to be bothered to fuss to get or keep every hair in place.

Shave: Big difference between the homeless guy who needs a shave, and the James Denton (Mike on Desperate Housewives) or Hugh Laurie (Dr. House) look. The "slightly scruffy" look can be VERY sexy so don't knock it!

Wear some makeup: I hate the feel of makeup on my skin, so unless I'm going somewhere special I don't wear any. Dingler, why don't you wear makeup? Because you're a guy? Then shame on you for being sexist! Seriously, if it's "okay" for men to not wear makeup then why is it so terrible for a woman to choose to not put layers of chemical/synthetic glop on her face and eyes? Sorry, this is a hot button for me.

IMHO clothing and makeup etc is supposed to be all about what makes the person wearing them feel comfortable with themselves, not about what other people think of how they look. Different strokes for different folks. Dress rules for the workplace are another matter but if someone has a serious problem with how they're required to dress for work it might be time to look around for another job.

I'd rather stand next to an overweight clean unshaven or un-made-up person with slightly rumpled clothes and less than perfect hair, than next to someone who looks like a magazine cover but reeks of either cigarette smoke or a half-gallon of perfume or aftershave!

Well said birdrgal

Old 06-24-2007, 04:28 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,723 times
I disagree with the advocates for sloppy looks. I believe that a person's appearance is a good indicator of how they feel about themselves. If they are fat and sloppy and unkempt, then they are that way inside also.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,988 times
And what about the fat church ladies that dress "to the nines" every day- hair set, jewelry on, requiset red lipstick, clean and pressed dresses, hats, purses, sturdy shoes? I mean, they are dressed very well. Does the fat still bother you in that case, Dingler?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,849 times
Quote:
I disagree with the advocates for sloppy looks. I believe that a person's appearance is a good indicator of how they feel about themselves. If they are fat and sloppy and unkempt, then they are that way inside also.
Speaking from experience I can tell you that your statement is the truth. I have since recovered but got that way in the first place by being depressed and having no feelings of self worth. Would we not, then, treat these people with compassion and understanding and help them regain their self esteem and teach them that they do matter? That's what finally saved me and I will always be aware of it and try to help whenever I can.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:43 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Perhaps you can share an MRI, xray or other visual depiction of the inner workings of those you despise!

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics