Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:58 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times

Advertisements

the only way a person could travel back in time or forward is your imagination

it's impossible to go some place that has already passed or go forward to another dimension when it hasnt occured yet.

the closest thing to time travel is viewing old films or recordings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,474 times
I think it is possible. 100 years ago, society said it was impossible to fly with the birds. We made it happen.

Time travel, for now, is beyond our comprehension. For years scientists had tried to come up with cold fusion, but failed. Then all of a sudden, a high school student discovered it. So it isn't a matter of if time travel is impossible or not, because realistically, we just don't know, yet. Ask the same question in 50 years.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
At this point, we really can't say whether time travel is possible or not. Not enough information about how the universe works is known yet.

I personally believe that it will be possible some day (hundreds or thousands of years from now), but that's only my opinion and I have no way to prove that statement.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 PM
kyt

73 posts, read 124,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
I think it is possible. 100 years ago, society said it was impossible to fly with the birds. We made it happen.

Time travel, for now, is beyond our comprehension. For years scientists had tried to come up with cold fusion, but failed. Then all of a sudden, a high school student discovered it. So it isn't a matter of if time travel is impossible or not, because realistically, we just don't know, yet. Ask the same question in 50 years.
Um. A high school student did not discover cold fusion. No one has figured out how to do cold fusion yet.

Time travel is unlikely because we have not had time traveling visitors from the future.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyt View Post
Um. A high school student did not discover cold fusion. No one has figured out how to do cold fusion yet.

Time travel is unlikely because we have not had time traveling visitors from the future.
that makes sense, if time travel was possible people from the future would have contacted us by now

Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
the only way a person could travel back in time or forward is your imagination

it's impossible to go some place that has already passed or go forward to another dimension when it hasnt occured yet.

the closest thing to time travel is viewing old films or recordings
Or reading memiours. I bought this book about the American troops who liberated the concentration camps on Amazon, and the day it arrived just started to look at it and read over 100 pages. Its a complitation of the experiences of many men and women, but the author weaves the descriptions of moments with their own words, not his. There is a sparceness to them, and a gritty but restrained feel of what seeing these things did to men wholly unprepared. It is far more graphic in some ways than other books, but its just grabs you and takes you there.

I was supposed to take a nap and get sleep the night I was going to read the chapter about Dachau. It is very long and very... intense. My friend was picking me up at 5:30 am for a day long trip sightseeing. I'm still reading, just unable to stop, when its time to get dressed. After about 35 hours without sleep, an outing gets real . . . interesting, but nothing could have dragged me away from that book.

Book is Liberators, American witnesses to the Holocaust by Michael Hirsh. I reccomend it for the emotional charge the stark and simple words wraps around you.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyt View Post
How do you know?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
It's fun to hypothesize and watch movies about it but I don't actually believe you can travel between the past and future... think about the cataclismic (sp?) things that could happen if people could just hop in their time machine and go messing with past and future events.. it's just stuff of the imagination...

Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
that makes sense, if time travel was possible people from the future would have contacted us by now
That's not fair. That's like saying, "If there was life on other planets, we would have heard about by now."

I think something like a temporal prime directive (non-interference clause) would make a great deal of sense and explain why we haven't 'seen' anyone from the future.

That being said, time as we know it and experience it is a man-made construct...it would be hard to know how to talk about manipulating physics and time if you can't really grasp what time really is.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
It's fun to hypothesize and watch movies about it but I don't actually believe you can travel between the past and future... think about the cataclismic (sp?) things that could happen if people could just hop in their time machine and go messing with past and future events.. it's just stuff of the imagination...
The thing is it could have already happened, but you'd never know about it because this is your reality now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics