Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times

Advertisements

So, I have worked hard, saved money, educated myself and invested wisely a few times. This has resulted in me being able to afford luxuries. So after all that (yes I am getting old) I find to my surprise:

*I prefer cloth vs. leather seats in automobiles
*I like little houses over big houses
*I don't like cranking my neck up to watch over the fireplace mounted flat screen TV's
*I prefer down home places to eat vs. fancy restaurants
*I hate valet parking, I want to park and fetch my own vehicle
*I can't stand having a cleaning service clean my house
*I'd prefer a townhouse/garden home over the lawn service, but prefer a lawn service over mowing my own yard
*I like Target more than Nordstroms
*I think shopping at Big Lots is fun!
*Hate happy hours with the girls at restaurants and bars.....let's gather at someone's home, please
*Would rather do a road trip than hassle with flying commercial. Ok, admit I do most prefer private plane...
*And in general like motels more than hotels.
*Always wind up changing whatever an interior decorator does, so I'm done with that, too
*Actually like white kitchen appliances (I have stainless) and tile countertops (I have granite)
*Like front entry garages (yes mine is around the back, what a pain to get to)
*Prefer a good hike over using my gym membership
*Like the radio better than CD's

Maybe retirement won't be that hard for me......

How about you? What cheaper things do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
Congrats on your success!!!! And it is interesting we like the things we like even if status improves. Mind u I am still waiting for more improvement However, I have always preferred champagne and room service, so I wouldn't do much changing either, but more indulging in the things I enjoy

Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Oh....must admit I do like the Spa and can't seem to find a decent haircut under $70.....

Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Oh....must admit I do like the Spa and can't seem to find a decent haircut under $70.....
A good hair cut is worth what u pay... I just hope u got a lot of hair and a good looking stylist who also massages well for that price. U deserve the extras enjoy

Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Reminds of the poor black woman, who said, if she ever gets a decent amount of money, she will buy a Louis Vuitton purse. She survived Hurricane Katrina and as soon as the government gave her a debit card, she ran out and bought herself a Louie.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
I commented on some of your things ... not sure if thats what you were looking for though. Good points.

*I prefer cloth vs. leather seats in automobiles I do as well. Better in hot/cold weather and holds you in place better than leather.
*I like little houses over big houses Comfortably small is okay. Too big is a pain.
*I don't like cranking my neck up to watch over the fireplace mounted flat screen TV's no preference really.
*I prefer down home places to eat vs. fancy restaurants i like both, depends on my mood/who I'm entertaining. Just me and my GF? I almost always prefer "down home" places.
*I hate valet parking, I want to park and fetch my own vehicle I detest valet, although here in LA, its nice to not have to search for parking.
*I can't stand having a cleaning service clean my house i do not agree here at all. lol. I hate cleaning.
*I'd prefer a townhouse/garden home over the lawn service, but prefer a lawn service over mowing my own yard Condo is nice because you can lock the door and travel without worrying about much. Garage is the biggest benefit to my single fam house.
*I like Target more than Nordstroms Don't agree here, target is always PACKED. Although, knowing my sizes, i shop a lot online ...
*I think shopping at Big Lots is fun! never been.
*Hate happy hours with the girls at restaurants and bars.....let's gather at someone's home, please i hate loud bars. happy hour is fun with a handful of friends. I prefer meeting at someone's house as well.
*Would rather do a road trip than hassle with flying commercial. Ok, admit I do most prefer private plane... flying myself is ideal, closely followed by road trip. If the location is within 300 miles, i almost always drive, unless its a very short trip, in which case i fly myself. Commercial first class only (miles upgrades).
*And in general like motels more than hotels. really depends. nice hotels are very relaxing.
*Always wind up changing whatever an interior decorator does, so I'm done with that, too i let my girlfriend decorate, keeps her happy, she enjoys it.
*Actually like white kitchen appliances (I have stainless) and tile countertops (I have granite) no preference really, i guess i prefer black or stainless.
*Like front entry garages (yes mine is around the back, what a pain to get to) I prefer detached garage, not in view of the street. I hate the California "welcome to my garage" look.
*Prefer a good hike over using my gym membership agreed
*Like the radio better than CD's i listen to almost all talk radio, or FM when i'm looking for music. I buy assorted songs i like on Itunes.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Reminds of the poor black woman, who said, if she ever gets a decent amount of money, she will buy a Louis Vuitton purse. She survived Hurricane Katrina and as soon as the government gave her a debit card, she ran out and bought herself a Louie.
UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE!! To think our Govt money paid for this.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
I've worked hard and lived frugally all my life (parents lived through the Great Depression - enough said!). Now that I can afford nicer things, I've found that:

*The diamond stud earrings that I salivated over for years no longer interest me - what a waste of money; I'd rather make a large donation to the Salvation Army.

*I would rather have a not-so-fancy heavy cotton and polyester winter coat than a gorgeous wool coat.

*I would rather do my own yard work than have someone else do it for me.

*I would rather have comfortable shoes and a functional (but nice leather) handbag than designer stuff that's not so functional. (Actually, I never cared about designer names anyway.)

Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,511 times
Isn't it funny how those things we thought were must haves things we could not do without in our youth now seem so trivial? Personally if I did have some money to throw around I would much prefer to give to people or animals that truly need it. PJ8 I agree with everything you said, I also have never been interested in designer anything. I am just as happy with a nice warm coat, comfortable shoes etc. I don't need all the trappings.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:55 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I prefer beer over champagne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics