Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 AM

727 posts, read 540,945 times

Advertisements

So who is in !!!!!! ?

Me

( That was the only question I undrestood )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:54 AM

44,375 posts, read 20,091,210 times
Today's Question(s):
Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point? Not I.

Extra Credit Question:
In Honor of Thermometer day
You know I always wondered why we pronounce it "ther-mom-i-ter"
The origin of the word dates back to 1615 by combining thermo + meter So shouldn't it be pronounced thermo-meter
Anyhoo
How many do you have in or around your home? 1 outdoor thermometer; 1 meat thermometer. Edit: Add one more.....Poncho's post reminded me that I also have a Galileo thermometer in my living room.

Curious Minds Question:
What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day? Weather prediction is for snow, but not too cold....20s, I think. Should be a beautiful white Christmas. Roads may be tricky to navigate, though.

Bonus Question:
What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given? A lagniappe I recevied with my last Clinique order.

Just for Fun Challenge:
I would like to challenge our QOTD family to a "unexpected random acts of kindness" moment.
Whether it is something as simple as letting someone go in front of you in line or paying for the coffee for the person behind you...
Some time before the end of the year while you are out & about you can put a smile and joy in a strangers day
So who is in !!!!!!? Excellent idea, Karla! I'M IN! I do this sometimes anyway, but it's good to be reminded to do it more often.

Today in History:
1882 - 1st string of Christmas tree lights created by Thomas Edison
1886 - 1st national accountants' society in U.S. formed (New York City) Contain your excitement, kids!
1894 - United States Golf Association forms (New York City)
1937 - Lincoln Tunnel, in New York City, opens to traffic
1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today. Okay, when I was little, I liked this. Now, a little bit of "Chipmunks" goes a long way! I'm surprised that this dates back to 1958. I would've guessed mid-60s.

Word of the Day:
lagniappe \ LAN-yap \ , noun;
1. A small gift given with a purchase to a customer, for good measure.
2. A gratuity or tip.
3. An unexpected or indirect benefit.

Today is:
National Date Nut Bread Day
Thermometer Day Okay.......
National Haiku Poetry Day I've heard of this; not sure what it is.
Lipstick Day I'm wearing some right now.
Eleven Pipers Piping Day I know what's coming tomorrow......

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-22-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,220,336 times
Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? At that point I get up and walk out.

Extra Credit Question:
The origin of the word dates back to 1615 by combining thermo + meter So shouldn't it be pronounced thermo-meter

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? What kind? Oral? Ambient? I have both.

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? Cold, clear. Last year we had a blowing snow day.

Bonus Question
:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? Got a discount at Penney's.

Just for Fun Challenge:

I would like to challenge our QOTD family to a "unexpected random acts of kindness" moment.

Whether it is something as simple as letting someone go in front of you in line or paying for the coffee for the person behind you

Some time before the end of the year while you are out & about you can put a smile and joy in a strangers day

So who is in !!!!!! ?

I've been staying with a very frail, elderly neighbor lady every night since Oct. 25--the day her husband died--so she won't be alone and to be there in case she falls. It started out as an act of kindness but has since evolved into a paid "babysitting" job. Others check on her during the day.

Today in History:

1886 - 1st national accountants' society in U.S. formed (New York City)
1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today. Many younger people don't realize just how old Alvin is. Ditto the Flintstones and Scooby Do.

Word of the Day:

2. A gratuity or tip.

Today is:

Thermometer Day
National Haiku Poetry Day
Lipstick Day
Eleven Pipers Piping Day

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,360,922 times
Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you, even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ?
I like my world to have just the few people I like in it, and I think most people are this way which makes me think all of the adults have wanted this to be over already. I was tired before Thanksgiving of the commercial push, and have now reached the point of trying to avoid all those people in Christmas sweaters, with that dazed demonic smile frozen on their face. I try to be layback when another tray of sugar loaded treats come in the house for me to see, but not be able to eat, and Mrs. Cncracer, who I am afraid is one of those sweater people, and an extrovert seems to attract the sweater people like flies to sugar. She is overjoyed when 15 screeching carolers disrupt the book I am hiding in, and than the parties. I have run out of excused to avoid them. For the introvert who finds solace in the quite, and seeks only the company of Mrs. Cncracer it is a very hard time of the year.

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ?
I am not sure; I use the internet to check weather, so I think not many.

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ?
Cold, starts with rain, and than an ice and snow mix. Something else I can add that to the stress of the holidays.

Bonus Question
:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given?
They give you things for the wife when you buy perfume these days. I drop them in the stocken.

Just for Fun Challenge:

Whether it is something as simple as letting someone go in front of you in line or paying for the coffee for the person behind you

So who is in !!!!!! ?
This is something we should be doing all year. I am in, and think it a good idea.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:07 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,430,760 times
Good morning everyone Good Morning!!
Happy Wednesday Humpday Greetings
3 shopping day left !!!

It is going to be a beautiful day here in NE FL expected high 73 !!!!

A good day to be out & about !!!

Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? Heck yeah, since about October!

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? One for meat, one for the oven, the fridge and one for the body...And it is Oral!!!
Oh and an Instant read cooking one also.

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? It's going to be in the 70's and cloudy...

Bonus Question:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? Without scrolling down i'll say.. In the back seat of a car???

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ? Count me in

Today in History:
1937 - Lincoln Tunnel, in New York City, opens to traffic And traffic Jams.
1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today.

Word of the Day:
2. A gratuity or tip.
3. An unexpected or indirect benefit. <--- Could be considerd close to my guess

Today is:
Thermometer Day
Lipstick Day
Eleven Pipers Piping Day They were using a Bong not a pipe..

Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 AM

44,375 posts, read 20,091,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Glory, the first graphic in the bunch you posted today is kind of creepy looking, like a spider! What's up with that? j/k LOL!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-22-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 07:18 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,681,095 times
Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ?
I'm torn between that and wanting to rewind to Dec 2, like you did on today's question, so I can get everything done and wanting it to be over.

Extra Credit Question:
You're right it measures thermos. It should be thermo-meter, Mike can tell you about al-tim-eters, voltmeters are OK but ammeters measure amPs. Why a P-ecktomy and what of sphygmomanometers. What is a sphygmo-man, and do they make good husbands?

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ?
Seven normal thermometers and one talking meat thermometer, no sphygmo-men.

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ?
Saturday:
Snow showers at times. Highs in the mid 20s and lows in the mid teens.

Bonus Question
:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ?

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ?
I am

Today in History:

1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today.

Word of the Day:

2. A gratuity or tip.

Today is:

Thermometer Day
Lipstick Day
Eleven Pipers Piping Day[/quote]

Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,367,294 times
Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? Oh yes, and it's always happened for the last three years on Christmas Eve at the In-laws. Long story...

How many do you have in or around your home ? None... I'm hot all the time!

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? 24 with a possible chance of flurries

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? I think it would have to be extra discount on an item.

So who is in !!!!!! ? Me!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 AM

7,339 posts, read 2,746,431 times
Good morning, everyone!

Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? Oh, yeah...frequently!

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? 5

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? In the 60's, clear, sunny and dry

Bonus Question:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ?

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ? I do this all the time...pretty much every time I go to the store...

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,685,451 times
Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? Oh yes and so has anyone else with a belly full of staples.

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? One outside and one in the medicine cabinet.

Curious Minds Question:

70° F | 41° F chance for rain.

Bonus Question
:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? Candy while waiting on car to get new tires.

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ? This is not new to me. My wife and I have lived this way since we where married.

Today in History:

Word of the Day:

2. A gratuity or tip.

Today is:

Thermometer Day
Lipstick Day I don't wear it but have done a lot of testing.
Eleven Pipers Piping Day

Last edited by Nomadicus; 12-22-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics