Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times

Advertisements

Ever since 911 I have been SO much more conscience of how fragile life can be...

Ever since I watched the footage of all the people digging at ground zero to free the people trapped, then to just recover remains...I have gone out of my way to thank people like Firemen, Policemen AND EMTs.

There was a horrible accident today, not 5 minutes from my home. A Cessna that took off from Daytona beach crashed into two homes, killing the two people in the plane AND 3 others in the homes...one of those people was a 4 year old little girl.

A fireman driving by in his private vehicle, ran into the intensely burning home and pulled a 10 year old boy out of the fire, was injured himself. The boy is SO badly burned he has been flown to a special burn unit in Cincinatti by the Shriners for what will be a long and arduos recovery. His parents are hurt but have survived.

Plane Crashes Into Central Fla. Homes; 5 Killed, 3 Critically Injured - Local News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/13652238/detail.html - broken link)

This is a link to the local CBS affiliate of the newstory.

I live not too far from the airport but I don't hear airport noise unless its a small plane flying LOW...I can't tell you the number of times, since 911 I have looked up and hoped that the plane got where it was going...that the people inside would be safe...AND oddly enough that the small planes would not loose control and crash on my house...

The fireman that ran into that fire is a hero today...I'm sure he would be embarrased for it to be said...but it HAS to be said...he is a hero.

Next time you see one of these people, take the time to thank them. Let them know you appreciate their sacrifices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,990 times
The next town over had a near tragedy the other day.

The houses in this area are so close together. It was early morning and not only did they contain the fire,they evacuated everyone safely.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=65767 (broken link)

We are grateful for their dedication and selfless duties. September 11th will never be forgotten,their heroism will forever be remembered.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I have 4 generations of volunteer firefighters in my family. One of them is also a policeman.

Believe me, they would appreciate hearing that they are supported by the people in their communities.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,584 times
I was a police sergeant in Milwaukee for 25 years and I can only remember being thanked one time! I got to the scene of a house fire before the fire department arrived and helped 3 kids out of the house. That one time, however, was something that I will always remember.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
I dont think they are appreciated enough just reminded of what they are not doing when people talk about rise in crime or arson etc.

I try to say hello to ones I cross or wave as they pass by.
I think some people just do not care about law enforcement or any official who is out there to help them in the time in need.

For instance this thread poster is complaining about a ticket she got for the move over law in north carolina. A law that motorist are required to move over or slow down when they come across emergency vechiles on side of road. A law that is set up to save lives of the officers protecting us.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-over-law.html

Old 07-16-2007, 04:13 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,615 times
My dad was a firefighter for 30 years before he died. My sister was a police officer for 10 years. It takes special people to do this stuff for a living. My dad was always at my elementary school doing the whole fire prevention thing growing up. I just thought it was so cool having a dad like that.

Since 9/11, these public servants are even more cherished in my family. After the tragedy in Charleston, SC, I felt like I had personally lost a loved one. Just think what the world would be like if there were not people willing to do these jobs for the community. IMO, they need to be thanked and praised everyday!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
I watched this story unfold on tv, Lisa, but I didn't hear about the fireman..Thanks so much for posting it for us..

Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,279 times
Lisa

My cousin is a paramedic. He told me all kinds of stories, some of which I still can't believe. But he has some people come up to him and thank him for what he has done.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Lisa

My cousin is a paramedic. He told me all kinds of stories, some of which I still can't believe. But he has some people come up to him and thank him for what he has done.
I'm glad to hear they do, I don't think most people realize the kind of hairy situations that paramedics can witness AND be drawn into.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,315 times
Smile Thank you....

After 25 years of service, this thread brought a smile. Thank you......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics