Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:43 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times

Advertisements

I was reading the below article this morning and it got me thinking. I asked a friend of mine, why is it when we see people in line at the food bank, many times they appear to be getting too much food (i.e. these persons and possibly their children are very overweight)?

She works with minorities and low income people, so that is why I asked her. I was not trying to be mean. In fact, both her and I struggle with our weights and could stand to drop a few pounds also .

I like what this person said in the article and wonder how others feel about this issue:

“We’re not really looking at the root causes of why are people lining up at the food banks,” such as a lack of “self-sufficient local food production … living wage jobs, universal health care and affordable housing,” Ahn said.

To read the article in it's entirety:

Huge cache of food bank leftovers found in desert
California photographer makes a smelly discovery in the desert
By Mike Stuckey
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17759883/?GT1=9145[/URL

Last edited by HDL; 03-24-2007 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Deleted full article and just put in url ;-0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 01:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
some of my high school friends, fried too many brain cells, ,,,doing drugs, to function normally, (keep a job, and family) some are still closet alcoholics, and some are out on "disability".
i think ignorance, breeds ignorance, i think,,like bill cosby said, "its time to stop blaming white folks, for the poor choices we make" like the illetimacy rate is nearly 80% amongst some minorities, the crime statistics,
i am an employer, and yes i get frustrated, by kids (18-25 yr olds) that have absolutely no work ethic,,,manners, or morals, everything is a big joke,,
and they are potheads. i stopped hiring the younger generation, and am hiring more part-time semi-retired folks, that WANT to work,,,
id get my ass kicked, if i did half of what most of these kids are getting away with.......
i just dont get it, maybe the parents, that expect very little from them,,are getting thier wishes.

anyways, the answer to poverty??? i would have , a welfare, oversight person, to make sure, every abled bodied person on welfare, is seeking a job, full-time or part time,,

id stop the immigration problem tomorrow, ...by placing every abled body welfare recipient with a job "no americans want to do"
and id stop placing any illegal alien on welfare!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 01:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
What a waste of food. And bottled water? I didn't know that had an expiration date so it seems like there was a distribution failure. Sure would make you think twice about donating to a food bank wouldn't it?

AS to your original question, I don't know as there ever will be an answer that will eradicate poverty. I do think that education and skill development are big advantages. But that wouldn't necessarily help those who are in families with generations of government dependence. They're taught from birth how to apply for assistance programs and believe it to be the norm. Perhaps there are jobs wherein the government (or companies in partnership with the government) could employ the beneficiaries of programs - or require education/training with job placement for beneficiaries. I do realize that would require other assistance programs, e.g., child care, transportation. Seems one thing leads to another.

IMHO, only disabled persons should require long term assistance.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
The poor are often fat or obese because the most unhealthy food, ie. fast food, is the cheapest.
Welfare nowadays is nowhere near what it was up to the late 80's. I believe I read somewhere that half of the welfare recipients are off it, either because they found work or because with the changes in the law, they ran out of welfare time.
I think we could do much better with community training programs though and seeing if some of our more elderly folks who spend all day wondering what to do could become volunteers to watch children while their mothers work.
Little children love elderly people and vice versa. It would be wonderful if we could organize volunteer organizations that take the heat off of single mothers and gives them a chance to concentrate on training and getting a decent job without paying all their earnings in taxes, rent, and childcare.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
I guess I'll just throw in my two cents. For years I've been a big believer that people should not have children they cannot afford and that it's
possible to trap yourself into poverty by having children you cannot afford.

So, for guys, my advice is to find a way to get a vasectomy, and for women, use birth control pills and rely on abortion if the birth control pills fail. After that, all I have to offer is basic common sense--try to live with your parents, work a couple jobs, try to improve your income earning ability by learning a trade or by going to college, then relocate to a city or state with a good economy for your field.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I also think welfare folks should do a mandatory job search every week.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:08 PM

73 posts, read 403,227 times
You can't eliminate a class of people. There will always be poor people. The efforts to eliminate poverty are good for those individuals who want to make their lives better, but poverty, itself, will not go anywhere.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
I'm all for helping single mothers / dads. I draw the line though when they keep popping those babies out one after the other when they already can't afford the ones they have.
IMO I think the states should get tougher on dead beat spouses. I'm tired of paying for other peoples kids.
Raising the minimum wage would be a great help, also free health care for children upto 10 years of age.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:33 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I'm all for helping single mothers / dads. I draw the line though when they keep popping those babies out one after the other when they already can't afford the ones they have.
IMO I think the states should get tougher on dead beat spouses. I'm tired of paying for other peoples kids.
Raising the minimum wage would be a great help, also free health care for children upto 10 years of age.

First one...Call it a Mistake....
2-9...It's a LIFESTYLE=Tubes tied or no more $$$
Divorced or Widowed=We take care of the family...

Old 03-25-2007, 10:35 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I guess I'll just throw in my two cents. For years I've been a big believer that people should not have children they cannot afford and that it's
possible to trap yourself into poverty by having children you cannot afford.

So, for guys, my advice is to find a way to get a vasectomy, and for women, use birth control pills and rely on abortion if the birth control pills fail. After that, all I have to offer is basic common sense--try to live with your parents, work a couple jobs, try to improve your income earning ability by learning a trade or by going to college, then relocate to a city or state with a good economy for your field.
BINGO...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics