Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:26 AM

16,722 posts, read 17,498,700 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

It's been fairly manic here sorting out various things.

As a result of one meeting, today's heartfelt peeve is;

Lawyer's fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,837,898 times
H'm. If we all became lawyers I bet those fees would come down.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,359,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.

It's been fairly manic here sorting out various things.

As a result of one meeting, today's heartfelt peeve is;

Lawyer's fees.

During my mom's estate--the lawyer fees were horrendous! Lawyers make their money built on conflict! 40.00 to just talk to the paralegal every time you call! and they did most of the work!!

Last edited by njsocks; 10-05-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,363,551 times
I don't begrudge someone to make good money in their chosen profession, but when there is no heart in that profession other than gouging clients.....then it becomes sad. Lots of doctors are like this also.
I believe the Bible in that 'the love of money' GREED....is the root of all evil. It has near about destroyed our society.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,844,046 times
Lawyer's fees.

They can be outrageous. That being said, I will say after having been married to one *who hated those who overcharged), that shopping around and getting quotations is really important. Sometimes quite alot of the work is done by paralegals (in this part of the world simple estates and real estate matters). I would not use a lawyer who would not break his/her pricing down for me, anymore than I would use the services of any other professional.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,095,905 times
When I was going through training to be an investigator, we were required to read a book called "Lawyers and Other Reptiles".

It's a frustrating cycle... we pay lawyers to help us navigate our way through laws written by lawyers and written in such a way that only lawyers can interpret it!

Good peeve, Jezer!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,821,038 times
I have a non-fee lawyer story!!

When we were buying our current house we had a problem with getting the power lines buried. There was an appointment made and the lines weren't buried, twice. I finally called and was told there was building material in the yard and they only trench and bury, they don't clean up. Fine by me, but why wasn't I told this before? I did make two appointments. In addition the builder should have known and cleaned it up.

I cleaned up the mess but it started raining that afternoon and rained continuously for days. The yard was a mud hole since the sod wasn't laid yet. As a result the cable wasn't buried and we couldn't close on our loan.

Our builder told us he wouldn't let us into the house without a signed loan agreement from the bank. I politely informed him that we would have had it if his company had done their job and cleared the material out of the yard.

His solution to the problem was to have us move all our belongings to storage and live in a hotel until the issue was resolved, at our expense. Our realtor (sister-in-law ) took the side of the builder.

I called the first real estate lawyer in the yellow pages and explained it to him. He got the phone numbers and called both the builder and my SIL. He called back in about ten minutes and told me we would be moving in on our previously agreed to date that was in the contract.

When I asked how how much we owed him he said, "Nothing. I haven't had that much fun in years."

Our SIL had the nerve to call me and tell me we didn't need to drag a lawyer into it. Really? You dumped us for the favor of a builder.

That's my kind of lawyer.

The one that advised me on starting a business did the same thing. Half an hour on the phone - no charge. Of course he did make plenty later, but still...

Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,067,474 times
Thanks goodness I have never need one. hope it stays that way.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,457,933 times
Many years ago, I was in a lawyers office discussing an eye watering bill I had received
with his secretary. He came sauntering in, and gave me a big smile. I looked back and
said "what do you call a plane crash with 200 lawyers on board all killed?" What" he asked.
"A start" I replied. He had the good grace to laugh.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM

16,722 posts, read 17,498,700 times
I don't want to tar all lawyers with the same brush. A very good friend of mine who died last year was an excellent solicitor doing great work for the local community.

I was shocked at the cost of probate after a meeting yesterday though.

Last edited by Jezer; 10-05-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics