Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,499,381 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, May 22nd. I spent most of today rummaging around in my garden shed with a view to sorting it out and tidying it up. What a mess! It’s still all in a muddle – one of those situations where it has to look worse before it can get better!

Today’s Question:

Today in 1931 canned rattlesnake meat went on sale in Florida. What’s the most unusual food you’ve ever eaten and what did you think of it?

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever seen (or felt the presence of) a ghost? If yes, tell us a little about your experience.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever eaten in a revolving restaurant ? If so, which one(s)?

Just for Fun:

What musical instruments do you have in your home?

Today in History:

1570 First atlas, with 70 maps, published
1803 First public library opens (Connecticut)
1892 Dr. Washington Sheffield invents toothpaste tube
1906 Wright Brothers patent the aeroplane
1931 Canned rattlesnake meat first goes on sale in Florida
1933 Loch Ness Monster is first reportedly sighted by John Mackay
1961 First revolving restaurant (Top Of The Needle in Seattle) opens
1973 President Nixon confesses his role in Watergate cover-up
2011 Tornadoes hit Joplin, Missouri, and a state of emergency is declared; more tornadoes hit Minneapolis, Minnesota and warnings are announced in states from Texas to Michigan

Today’s Word:

Cumulus \ KYOO-myuh-luhs \ , noun;
1. A heap; pile.
2. A cloud of a class characterized by dense individual elements in the form of puffs, mounds, or towers, with flat bases and tops that often resemble cauliflower.

Today Is:

International Day for Biological Diversity
National Maritime Day
Buy A Musical Instrument Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,874,711 times
Today’s Question:

Today in 1931 canned rattlesnake meat went on sale in Florida. What’s the most unusual food you’ve ever eaten and what did you think of it? Some sort of sushi I'd guess. Unagi, I think that's right.....freshwater eel, is delish!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever seen (or felt the presence of) a ghost? If yes, tell us a little about your experience.
Our family home was built in 1772 and was a tavern before being bought by an ancestor in 1841. Many family members have had "experiences." My most memorable was in 1980. I had had an emergency c-section and the doctor said after several days that if I were to go home I'd need someone watching out for me, so my daughter and I went to my parent's home. I had just put the baby down to sleep one afternoon and started back downstairs. In the hallway there was a tall man wearing 19th century clothing. He was walking away from me towards the front of the house. I followed. He turned into the dining room and was gone... My daughter has suggested I was on some sort of meds at the time, but I wasn't.
My brother and his wife have lived in a separate part of the house that used to house men who were hired to work the farm. My SIL told my dad once that she woke up to see a woman walk from the wall and stand at the bottom of her bed. The woman was wearing a dress, covered by an apron. Pop told her that at one time her bedroom was a kitchen and there had been a door where the woman appeared to come from.

Bonus Question:

No, though I'd like to!

Just for Fun:

I think I've given my daughters the instruments they played, flute and clarinet. Other than those, small percussion instruments, things a drummer used. And then of course there are the pots and pans my grand daughters bang on......

Happy Tuesday! Off to a staff meeting..... Only three left this year!

Last edited by kpinvt; 05-22-2012 at 04:42 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 AM

50,488 posts, read 64,372,970 times
Today’s Question:

Today in 1931 canned rattlesnake meat went on sale in Florida. What’s the most unusual food you’ve ever eaten and what did you think of it? Escargot. I think it tasted like dirt smells, and it proves that if you put garlic and butter on anything, people will eat it.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever seen (or felt the presence of) a ghost? If yes, tell us a little about your experience. I had a feeling when I went to Gettysburg, that there were spirits that could be felt.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever eaten in a revolving restaurant ? If so, which one(s)? I think I've been to two. It's been a long time ago, but I think they were in Atlanta and Toronto. I'm not really sure where they were.
Just for Fun:

What musical instruments do you have in your home? Sadly, none. No one is musical at all.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,637,689 times
Today in 1931 canned rattlesnake meat went on sale in Florida. What’s the most unusual food you’ve ever eaten and what did you think of it? not sure but I've had fresh rattlesnake and enjoyed it. When I first typed that, I wrote rattlesnack by mistake...but that'd be a good name for the canned version

Have you ever seen (or felt the presence of) a ghost? If yes, tell us a little about your experience. It's weird - I don't think about ghosts and, if pressed, I think I'd say I don't believe in them...yet I've definitely felt presences and remember believing I saw a particular ghost repeatedly as a child. So...

Have you ever eaten in a revolving restaurant ? If so, which one(s)? more than one. They're hokey, IMO, and I wasn't a huge fan - PITA with the center dance floor area, too. I was in one in DC and I forget where else.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:30 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,737,372 times
[quote=Kobber;24406940]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, May 22nd. I spent most of today rummaging around in my garden shed with a view to sorting it out and tidying it up. What a mess! It’s still all in a muddle – one of those situations where it has to look worse before it can get better!

Today’s Question:

Today in 1931 canned rattlesnake meat went on sale in Florida. What’s the most unusual food you’ve ever eaten and what did you think of it? Octopus...didn't care for it...too tough.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever seen (or felt the presence of) a ghost? If yes, tell us a little about your experience. No

Bonus Question:

Have you ever eaten in a revolving restaurant ? If so, which one(s)?No

Just for Fun:

What musical instruments do you have in your home? None

Today in History:

1570 First atlas, with 70 maps, published
1803 First public library opens (Connecticut)
1892 Dr. Washington Sheffield invents toothpaste tube
1906 Wright Brothers patent the aeroplane
1931 Canned rattlesnake meat first goes on sale in Florida
1933 Loch Ness Monster is first reportedly sighted by John Mackay
1961 First revolving restaurant (Top Of The Needle in Seattle) opens
1973 President Nixon confesses his role in Watergate cover-up
2011 Tornadoes hit Joplin, Missouri, and a state of emergency is declared; more tornadoes hit Minneapolis, Minnesota and warnings are announced in states from Texas to Michigan

Today’s Word:

Cumulus \ KYOO-myuh-luhs \ , noun;
1. A heap; pile.
2. A cloud of a class characterized by dense individual elements in the form of puffs, mounds, or towers, with flat bases and tops that often resemble cauliflower.

Today Is:

National Maritime Day

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:31 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,025,856 times
Today’s Question:

Today in 1931 canned rattlesnake meat went on sale in Florida. What’s the most unusual food you’ve ever eaten and what did you think of it?
Probably muskrat. It was boiled and rather bland.

Extra Credit Question:

I do not believe in ghosts. This is a little surprising seeing how I do believe in little green men from outer space

Bonus Question:

Only once have I ever eaten in a revolving restaurant. However, I should add the restaurant did not spin on it's own. Me thinks the fact I shut down one too many bars a few hours earlier had something to do with the restaurant revolving.

Just for Fun:

The closest thing I have to a musical instrument would be a radio.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 AM

10,235 posts, read 11,216,924 times
Today’s Question:

Extra Credit Question:

No - Don't believe in Ghost..

Bonus Question:

No..

Just for Fun:

Guitar

Old 05-22-2012, 04:40 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,652,136 times
Today’s Question:

I haven't eaten too many "exotic" things, I have had deer meat but I didn't like it

Extra Credit Question:

Uh no, since there is not such a thing

Bonus Question:

No never have

Just for Fun:

zero

Today Is:

International Day for Biological Diversity.......ok
National Maritime Day.................................
Buy A Musical Instrument Day.....................it would just collect dust

Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 AM

1,738 posts, read 769,741 times
Morning Everybody!!! Tell you what if we had that question about electronics again..I would have a new answer now. Can you guess what it would be? Our laptop. Sniff Sniff..it died. Working one night and next morning..nothing. Took it to two places. Got a new one. So on to today's questions. :O)

Today’s Question:

Today in 1931 canned rattlesnake meat went on sale in Florida. What’s the most unusual food you’ve ever eaten and what did you think of it? Extremely picky eater..but MANY years ago tried buffalo. It was just a sample, but I think it was okay. I was really young, but from what I remember it was pretty good.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever seen (or felt the presence of) a ghost? If yes, tell us a little about your experience. Yes, different times. I will share one for now. One time, was I was in 1 room and my son was in another. I heard "Mom". Said, "Yes, what is it?" Nothing..Again "Mom". - "What is it honey?"..Nothing. Went to the room he was in, he said he never called or said anything. Asked him if he heard anything. He said he heard people talking, but not what they were saying. I wasn't the only one in the room that I was in that heard "a child's voice" say Mom. Also, where we were MANY odd things happened there.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever eaten in a revolving restaurant ? If so, which one(s)? No, sure haven't.

Just for Fun:

What musical instruments do you have in your home? Keyboard, all I can think of.

Last edited by HelloWorldItsMe; 05-22-2012 at 04:55 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,957,905 times
Good morning to all!

Today’s Question:

I don't eat strange things, so Calamari is probably the most adventurous thing I've tried. I'll pass next time!

Extra Credit Question:

Not that I know of. I don't necessarily think they exist either, so that would make an experience kind of difficult.

Bonus Question:

Yes we have. (Thinking of where... ) Got it... The Marriott Marquis in NYC and in one of the towers by Niagara Falls.

Just for Fun:

The only one in the house now is my childs clarinet.

Today Is:

National Maritime Day

Have a great day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics