Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,147 posts, read 30,465,010 times

Advertisements

Technically, the solstice was June 20th at 7:09 pm EST, which was just after midnight Greenwich Mean Time. So it was on the 20th in the Americas, but on the 21st in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. Anyway traditionally the 21st of June has been noted as the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere. Result? We're due for a planetary question:

Today's Question:
Have you ever crossed over the equator?

If not, what's the closest you've been to the equator?

What's the closest you've been to the north or south poles?

Bonus Question:
How important is music to you?

If music magically disappeared, would you miss it:
A lot?
Somewhat?
Not much?

Foodie Question:
If you had a big box of chocolates, what kind would you most look forward to enjoying:
Caramels?
Creams?
Nuts? What kind?
Truffles?
Other?

Just for fun:
If at the busiest part of your day you had eight "hands," like an octopus, what would each one be doing?
(Two can be at the keyboard typing on CD. )

Today in History:
1633 In Italy Galileo Galilei forced by the Inquisition to deny his statement that the earth revolves around the sun, not vice versa
1791 Fleeing French King Louis XVI and family captured at Varennes-en-Argonne, returned to Paris where he was executed in 1793
1893 Ferris wheel premiered at Chicago's Columbian Exposition. Invented by George Washington Ferris, it had 36 cars and carried 60 passengers up to 264 feet high.
1933 First Great Lakes-to-Gulf of Mexico barge trip completed to New Orleans
1948 First stored computer program run, on "electronic brain" Manchester Mark I at Victoria University in England
1982 American author Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage was re-published in the author's edition. The original 1895 version had substantial cuts and changes made by editors.
2011 Volcanic ash from the Puyehue-Cordon Caulle eruption in Chile disrupted flights in Australia

Today’s Word:
sol·stice [sol-stis, sohl-] noun
Astronomy - either of the two times a year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator. About June 21, when the sun reaches its northernmost point on the celestial sphere, or about December 21, when it reaches its southernmost point.

Today Is:
Go Skateboarding Day
Handshake Day
International Surfing Day
Peaches and Cream Day
Summer Begins
World Music Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is provided by PJSinger. In her own words: "Last summer, this little ground squirrel was tempted by the seeds I'd put in a mesh bag for the birdies." In the squirrels own words: "What the heck! I could get a lot more if I just chewed a hole in the bag and got inside." - The squirrel quote was provided by Pam. After all, she was there.

Thanks, Pam!

Have a great day, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,494,200 times
Today's Question:
Have you ever crossed over the equator? I've flown over it a number of times, and crossed over it by sea once - which just happened to be on my 21st birthday!

What's the closest you've been to the north or south poles? No closer to the south pole than Tasmania (Australia), but have flown over the north pole a couple of times (in the dark)!

Bonus Question:
How important is music to you? Extremely

A lot? This - I'm not so much worried about music disappearing as about my hearing disappearing - mine has already started to deteriorate a little, and there is deafness on both sides of my family.
Somewhat?
Not much?

Foodie Question:
If you had a big box of chocolates, what kind would you most look forward to enjoying:
Caramels? 3rd choice
Creams? 2nd choice
Nuts? What kind? 4th choice - walnuts are my favourites
Truffles? 1st choice
Other?

Just for fun:
If at the busiest part of your day you had eight "hands," like an octopus, what would each one be doing?
I'd use the other six for house painting - two to paint the ceiling, two to paint the walls, and two to hold on to the stepladder!

Thanks bjh.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by Kobber; 06-21-2012 at 12:11 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,944,048 times
Today's Question:
No!
Bahamas!

Bonus Question:
Very!
A lot?
Somewhat?
Not much?

Foodie Question:
Caramels?
Creams?
Nuts? What kind?
Truffles?
Other?

Just for fun:

6 would be babysitting, doing dishes, and cooking,.. etc....

Today in History:
1633 In Italy Galileo Galilei forced by the Inquisition to deny his statement that the earth revolves around the sun, not vice versa
1791 Fleeing French King Louis XVI and family captured at Varennes-en-Argonne, returned to Paris where he was executed in 1793
1893 Ferris wheel premiered at Chicago's Columbian Exposition. Invented by George Washington Ferris, it had 36 cars and carried 60 passengers up to 264 feet high.
1933 First Great Lakes-to-Gulf of Mexico barge trip completed to New Orleans
1948 First stored computer program run, on "electronic brain" Manchester Mark I at Victoria University in England
1982 American author Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage was re-published in the author's edition. The original 1895 version had substantial cuts and changes made by editors.
2011 Volcanic ash from the Puyehue-Cordon Caulle eruption in Chile disrupted flights in Australia

Today’s Word:
Astronomy - either of the two times a year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator. About June 21, when the sun reaches its northernmost point on the celestial sphere, or about December 21, when it reaches its southernmost point.

Today Is:
Go Skateboarding Day
Handshake Day
International Surfing Day
Peaches and Cream Day Meh!
Summer Begins oh hell no!
World Music Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is provided by PJSinger. In her own words: "Last summer, this little ground squirrel was tempted by the seeds I'd put in a mesh bag for the birdies." In the squirrels own words: "What the heck! I could get a lot more if I just chewed a hole in the bag and got inside." - The squirrel quote was provided by Pam. After all, she was there.

Thanks, Pam!

Have a great day, everyone!
Thanks BJH and Pam!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:41 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,224,367 times
Today's Question:
Alas, I have not.

Hawaii.

Toronto to the north, Hawaii to the south.

Bonus Question:
Very. I heart Spotify.

A lot? I'd be devastated.
Somewhat?
Not much?

Foodie Question:
Caramels?
Creams?
Nuts? What kind?
Truffles?
Other? My head just came very close to exploding with the effort of trying to choose. Basically, I just reach in and grab one. Unless it's something coffee-flavored, it's all good to me.

Just for fun:
Working, folding laundry, and lifting weights. In addition to CD, of course!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,446,589 times
Good morning everyone from a somewhat gloomy England. Now then, when have I been closest to the equator. Hmmm. That would probably be Tunisia in North Africa I think. Music is important to me. Just not a lot of the modern stuff..... My favourite chocs are the strawberry creams If I had eight hands, as stated two would be on C-D. The others would be feeding me cake. Have a nice day everyone.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 AM

38,979 posts, read 22,980,069 times
Today's Question:

No

Manila

North pole - Reno, Nevada
South pole - Honolulu, Hawaii

Bonus Question:

Very important!

A lot?
<--This
Somewhat?

Not much?

Foodie Question:

Caramels?

Creams?
<--This, especially chocolate buttercreams
Nuts? What kind?

Truffles? <--I like these, too

Other? Solid milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate

Just for fun:

The other six will be dusting, vacuuming and watering the house plants. Talk about multi-tasking!

Enjoy your Thursday!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 AM

1,738 posts, read 768,907 times

A lot? Between This and
Somewhat? This
Not much?

Foodie Question:
Caramels? Either this one
Creams?
Nuts? What kind?
Truffles?
Other? or if they have a mint or solid

Just for fun:
If at the busiest part of your day you had eight "hands," like an octopus, what would each one be doing? If two are typing on CD guess they other two would be typing at work and then when got home cleaning and cooking.

Last edited by HelloWorldItsMe; 06-21-2012 at 02:39 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,015,462 times
Today's Question:
Many times flying to Africa. Once flying to South America.

North Pole...Maybe up to about 76th North Parallel when flying from Alaska to Europe.
South Pole...Nowhere even remotely close.

Bonus Question:
While I like music, it is not real high on my list of priorities.

A lot?
Somewhat?
I would probably say somewhat.

Not much?

Foodie Question:
Caramels?
Creams?
Nuts? What kind?
Truffles?
Other?
Just give me a box of chocolates. No nuts. No other things hidden inside. Just plain old chocolates.

Just for fun:
As of late most days six of the hands would be twiddling their thumbs. The flights I have been working have not required much work on my part. On the rare days something goes wrong and there is lots of finger pointing going on, it would be nice to have extra fingers to point. On the very rare day I simply have no choice but to give some idiot the "finger", can you imagine how mad that person would get when getting the "finger" times eight.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,914,208 times
It will be 100 degrees and sunny in the NV desert on Thursday.

Today's Question:
Have you ever crossed over the equator? Yes, by air.

What's the closest you've been to the north or south poles? Dunedin, New Zealand to the south; Montreal, Canada to the north.

How important is music to you? Love it!

A lot?
Somewhat?
Not much?

Caramels?
Creams?
Nuts? What kind?
Truffles?
Other?

If at the busiest part of your day you had eight "hands," like an octopus, what would each one be doing? 2 for C-D typing, 2 to get the coffee pot started, 2 to clean the cat litter (!), 2 to get dressed.

Thanks for the great photo Pam and for the questions bjh. Happy Thursday everyone!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 AM

16,914 posts, read 16,162,618 times
Today's Question:

~ Nope. I've avoided the wrath of King Neptune successfully.

~ Fakahatchee Island, where I was literally dubbed, "The Chowhound of Fakahatchee Island".
I'm serious. It is part of true Everglades lore now.

~ I've spent much time in the mountains, the same mountains where North Pole, New York is located.
~ As for the south pole, read Fakahatchee, above.

Bonus Question:
~ I am either blessed or cursed with music hell. 24/7, yes, as soon as I open my eyes in the night....in my dreams....all day long....always. It's driving me crazy. Seriously. How I wish I could have silence and calm. ...

A lot?
Somewhat?
Not much?
~ No. It's been there all my life....I wish it away forever....

Foodie Question:
Caramels?
Creams?
Nuts? What kind?
Truffles?
Other?
~ Cella's chocolate covered cherries, caramels and creams! Yayyyyy! I love to share, too!

Just for fun:
~ I guess playing guitars and keyboards, composing.

Today’s Word:
Did you know that Vega, the bright star in the constellation Lyra, used to be our North Star? It will be so again, far in the future.

A Picture for Today:

~ That's one of my squirrels! Hiya, squirrely! You're a nice squirrel! Real nice!
What a great picture, Pam! Thanks, BJH! Great job! To all our friends, HappyWishes and have a real nice, safe day and night! Remember to stop and EAT!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-21-2012 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Correct a typo for user.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics