Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times

Advertisements

[quote=Kobber;25098986]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, July 10th. Straight into it today…

Today’s Question:

When you were 7 years old, how did you get to school (walk, bus, driven by parent etc), and what did you like best and least about getting to school that way?..........I had to ride a bus for a short while until the school was built a block away from our house. I remember missing my stop and a older boy walked me back home. That was very traumatic. When the new school was built we could walk home for lunch.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you still have any teddy bears (or other stuffed animals) from your childhood ? If yes, tell us a little bit about your favourite. I have an antique cat that played music and rolled around. I don't know much about it and I'm sure it doesn't work any more. I just liked it because it was unique.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been stung by a bee? Did you have an allergic reaction to it? They used to get me every year, but the bee population has been on the decline for many years now. I rarely see them any more. I just read a rather disturbing article about Monsanto and the declining bee population the other day.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode to Billie Joe” (recorded on this day in 1967)?
Older.

Today in History:

1040 Lady Godiva rides naked on horseback to force her husband, the Earl of Mercia, to lower taxes
1746 Bonnie Prince Charlie flees in disguise to Isle of Skye
1890 Wyoming becomes 44th state of U.S., the first with female suffrage
1913 134 degrees F (57 degrees C), Greenland Ranch, California (U.S. record)
1938 Howard Hughes flies around the world in 91 hours
1967 Bobbie Gentry records "Ode to Billie Joe"
1985 Coca-Cola Co announces it will resume selling old formula Coke

Today’s Word:

Ectopic \ ek-TOP-ik \ , adjective;
1. Occurring in an abnormal position or place; displaced.

Today Is:

Teddy Bears' Picnic Day
Stone House Day
Don't Step on a Bee Day
Smile Power Day
Kobber’s Birthday HAPPY BIRTHDAY KOBBER! I HOPE YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING FUN TODAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,143,447 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber

Today’s Question:

When you were 7 years old, how did you get to school (walk, bus, driven by parent etc), and what did you like best and least about getting to school that way?
When I was seven, I changed schools 3 times because of my Dad's military service. I started out riding the bus in San Antonio, then walked to the Catholic School my Mother went to in Ill. for 6 weeks, then rode the bus to school in Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you still have any teddy bears (or other stuffed animals) from your childhood ? If yes, tell us a little bit about your favourite.
I do have my 50 something year old teddy, I named Gingie. He went everywhere with me.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been stung by a bee? Did you have an allergic reaction to it?
Yes, many times without a reaction thank goodness.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode to Billie Joe” (recorded on this day in 1967)?
Older!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,911,503 times
Sunny and about 110 in the NV desert today.

Today’s Question:

When you were 7 years old, how did you get to school (walk, bus, driven by parent etc), and what did you like best and least about getting to school that way? I rode my bike. Only the kids who lived out in the country were bussed. I loved my bike!

Do you still have any teddy bears (or other stuffed animals) from your childhood ? If yes, tell us a little bit about your favourite. Not any more. I had a koala bear made out of rabbit fur. By the time I was too old to cuddle him, he was almost bald!

Have you ever been stung by a bee? Did you have an allergic reaction to it? Yes, but no allergic reaction.

Are you older or younger than Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode to Billie Joe” (recorded on this day in 1967)? Older.

Happy Tuesday everyone and thanks for the Qs Kobber.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,882,889 times
Before I post, I just want to send a Happy Birthday wish to Kobber, from the American Southwest, to the Land Down Under.
Today’s Question:

When you were 7 years old, how did you get to school (walk, bus, driven by parent etc), and what did you like best and least about getting to school that way? - I rode my bike.. Only because nobody wanted me on the bus... I was a bad influence on other kids..

Extra Credit Question:

Do you still have any teddy bears (or other stuffed animals) from your childhood ? If yes, tell us a little bit about your favourite. - Nah.. my parents never wanted any Teddy bears or stuffed animals around me, I used them for punching bags...

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been stung by a bee? Did you have an allergic reaction to it? - No.. bees didn't like me, I always scared them.. - Actually, I've only been stung once or twice when I was a kid, under normal circumstances, and I remember getting stung a few times when I was 7, when my cousin and I discovered a bee hive that was behind a plate on a block fence at their house..

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode to Billie Joe” (recorded on this day in 1967)? - I guess I was 10 when it was recorded, so I'm older.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 07-10-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times
Today’s Question:

When you were 7 years old, how did you get to school (walk, bus, driven by parent etc), and what did you like best and least about getting to school that way?
Bus. It was okay, but I didn't like standing on the corner in bad weather, or running for it when I was late.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you still have any teddy bears (or other stuffed animals) from your childhood ? If yes, tell us a little bit about your favourite.
I still have a stuffed turtle. He has no eyes and his head droops. I've always been fascinated by turtles. Maybe this was how it started.

Bonus Question:

Once. I fell on it doing cartwheels on the front lawn. It just left a little bump for a couple of days.

Just for Fun:

Older, but not by much.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,553,551 times
Default High drama post!

Walked to school with my older brother.

Sometimes we rode double on a bicycle. I can still remember we had to pass a certain house with a big dog that would come running and jump over it's little 3 foot fence and chase us! Then the race was on! Actually, we would anticipate passing this house and would pedal real fast so we got up speed! I remember the dog vividly. A great big black dog! I was so scared.

Then after he stopped chasing us, we would laugh and taunt the dog as we rode merrily on our way. Ah, life was good back in those days. Scary and full of perils, but good.

No stuffed toys. My parent's house might have some keepsakes. But I dont.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,892,576 times
Today’s Question:

Walk or ride..

Extra Credit Question:

No way ...don't recall any stuffed animals from my childhood.

Bonus Question:

Certainly ......No just the pain.

Just for Fun:

Older! Bobbie is older than me though.

Today in History:

1040 Lady Godiva rides naked on horseback to force her husband, the Earl of Mercia, to lower taxes
1746 Bonnie Prince Charlie flees in disguise to Isle of Skye With a name like Bonnie....
1985 Coca-Cola Co announces it will resume selling old formula Coke How sweet!

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

Teddy Bears' Picnic Day
Stone House Day
Don't Step on a Bee Day
Smile Power Day
Kobber’s Birthday
Happy Birthday Kobber!!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,254,846 times
Thank you, Kobber!

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, July 10th. Straight into it today…

Today’s Question:

When you were 7 years old, how did you get to school (walk, bus, driven by parent etc), and what did you like best and least about getting to school that way? I walked. My friends were walking that way, too, so it was pleasant.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you still have any teddy bears (or other stuffed animals) from your childhood ? If yes, tell us a little bit about your favourite. I could only wish. I have tried to replace some of those special ones with reasonable facsimiles, but I have yet to replace my favorite rag dolls.

Bonus Question:

Not a bee, but by 5 yellow jackets. I had chills running up and down my arms and back for hours afterward. It was night. The stings didn't hurt, until I saw what was stinging me, after three stings. THEN it started hurting!

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode to Billie Joe” (recorded on this day in 1967)? Older. I was 18.

Today in History:

1040 Lady Godiva rides naked on horseback to force her husband, the Earl of Mercia, to lower taxes Seriously? I though this was a myth.
1890 Wyoming becomes 44th state of U.S., the first with female suffrage Yea, Wyoming!!
1985 Coca-Cola Co announces it will resume selling old formula Coke Where's my Pepsi? Oh, yeah. I drank it all. All. To the last drop.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

Teddy Bears' Picnic Day Hate that new movie. Haven't seen it and won't. Hate it without seeing it.
Stone House Day
Don't Step on a Bee Day I wouldn't do that -- I love bees!
Smile Power Day Can't smile. I fell last night, initially taking all the weight on the area between my upper lip and my nose. Seriously. Then skinned up parts of the rest of my face. I look like a major massive mess today. It hurts to eat, smile, talk, ect. But nothing broke!

Kobber’s Birthday Yea!! Happy birthday!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,039,220 times
Today’s Question:

I rode on the bus. I liked sitting on the back seat because it bounced up and down the most when the bus was moving...lol. There weren't many behavioral problems on the bus because the bus driver didn't tolerate any B.S. from kids on his bus. If a kid misbehaved he would pull over and spank their bottom on the spot! Too many problems....you didn't get to ride the bus anymore. Bear in mind, this was in a small school district in Texas back in the 70's. School bus drivers these days would never be able to enforce discipline like he did back then, that's for sure!

Extra Credit Question:

No. I had a teddy bear and a stuffed alligator when I was a kid, both of which were torn up when I was a kid...lol.

Bonus Question:

I was stung by a bee once when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I didn't have an allergic reaction but it hurt really bad!

Just for Fun:

Slightly younger.

Last edited by TT Dave; 07-10-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,345,867 times
Today’s Question:

When you were 7 years old, how did you get to school (walk, bus, driven by parent etc), and what did you like best and least about getting to school that way? That was my most difficult time in school. We lived in Honolulu and did not have base housing yet. I had to ride a city bus. We only had one car and dad used it to go to Hickam. I was scared to death. It was also still considered the post war years and there was a lot of prejudice. My folks told me that the want ads were filled with "Caucasians need not apply." How archaic is that? We got housing on base soon enough but I certainly remember that period of time. My mother would walk to the bus stop each afternoon petrified that I would not get off the bus. Yikes. She was still a kid herself.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you still have any teddy bears (or other stuffed animals) from your childhood ? If yes, tell us a little bit about your favourite. I still have a doll that my grandmother made for me. I just can't let it go.

Bonus Question:

Yellowjacket. I did not have a reaction to it but it sure did sting.

Just for Fun:

Older. Way older. LOL

Today in History:

1985 Coca-Cola Co announces it will resume selling old formula Coke

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

Teddy Bears' Picnic Day
Stone House Day
Don't Step on a Bee Day
Smile Power Day
Kobber’s Birthday

Happy Birthday, Kobber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics