Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,926 times

Advertisements

As I type this I'm sitting in my doctors waiting room with a migraine.

Obviously there are a few sick people here.

Some woman has just come in, sat down, dragged out her cell and is having a conversation like she is completely alone.

I find this horribly inconsiderate.

I don't want to hear her private business and gossip, especially when my head is pounding. It's bad enough we have a crying sick baby in here.

Do you yap away at full volume like you are in your loungeroom, when in public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,332,396 times
This sounds like a great vent for the stress and venting thread. I think some people are rude when it comes to cell phones, but I can't say I don't use my cell in public cause I do and that is why I have a cell. I hope I am not rude or inconsiderate, but if I need to use my cell I will even at the doctors office.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Don't look at me ...I'd take a hammer to most if not all cell phones.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
I never use a mobile (cell) phone. I see people using their mobiles wherever I go. I just wonder what they find to talk about. I don't often ride buses or trains, but when I do people are sat there chattering away on their mobiles. I find it quiet strange people don't mind discussing their private business in public.

I've only used the things a couple of times. Judy gave me her old phone a couple of years ago when she got a new one. She told me to take it with me to the supermarket to tell her the price of a particular item. I struggled even making the call to her. I'd forgotten the method of doing so that she had instructed me with. Anyway, I got through to her eventually. It felt strange to me talking to her stood in the middle of a supermarket.

Haven't used one since......

Old 07-19-2012, 12:43 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
As I type this I'm sitting in my doctors waiting room with a migraine. Hope you're getting to feel better.

Obviously there are a few sick people here.

Some woman has just come in, sat down, dragged out her cell and is having a conversation like she is completely alone.

I find this horribly inconsiderate. I do too and it happens way too often.

I don't want to hear her private business and gossip, especially when my head is pounding. It's bad enough we have a crying sick baby in here. Or a wheezing ol' man.

Do you yap away at full volume like you are in your loungeroom, when in public?
My cell phone stays in my vehicle and is used for emergency calls primarily. Though sometimes I take it in the grocery store so I can call spouse to clarify some items wanted on the grocery list.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:43 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
Do they really need to make a call in public, most of the time no, what would they have done before mobile phones? The gossip and other bs would have waited without any serious ramifications. People have commented before how these public users often talk overly loud as they scan the crowd hoping someone notices them.

Well Dave, its the reality show mentality, I'm surprised they aren't filming themselves sitting at the Doctor's office. That's super exciting ya know and everyone on FB cant wait a second to find out how it all went.

In a Doctors office waiting room, one would think there might even be a sign stating go outside to make your call or limit it to 5 minutes, something like that. You exercised more patience than I would have in that situation. A screaming migraine is bad enough without an idiot rattling on endlessly about nothing.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 AM

16,675 posts, read 17,444,965 times
It's the same with many things- it's not necessarily the phone itself, it's the person using it that can be the issue.

Sadly these phones provide yet another outlet to socially inept people to demonstrate their lack of social skills and graces.

However the phones are also an invaluable aid at times.

It's like the veterinarian surgeon I once knew who said that it's not the animal that needs putting down- sometimes it's the owner.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:50 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Sorry about those migraine headaches, MsAnnThrope. Hope you are feeling much better.

I think it's a good idea for doctors offices to put up a big sign such as : PLEASE LEAVE THE WAITING ROOM TO USE CELL PHONE !!!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
BTW, cell phones are awkward, too small, (smaller than they need to be), poorly designed, like holding a big domino. You must be very careful how you hold them as every place you touch screws up something. I hate them. User unfriendly to the max! People are shelling out hundreds of $$$$$$ a month to have their brains radiated. I see people completely mesmerized by these gadgets! Cable/internet service gets the other 20% of everyone's monthly income! Goofy!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,701,479 times
I don't yap at all on a cellphone because I don't own one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics