Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 AM

38,911 posts, read 22,906,011 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
If you could visit for up to a month in any *one* decade of the 1900s (whether you've lived in it or not):

Which one would you choose and why?

The 1950s because it was an optimistic and prosperous time in this country. Plus I would have enjoyed getting fully immersed in the popular fads back then, including the cool 50s fashions and diners.

What are some of the things you would do?

Go to a drive-up place for a burger, fries and shake, enjoy listening to the bands and rocking to the beat, cruise around in the cool-looking big cars that were popular in that decade.

Anyone you would you want to see or avoid seeing?

I would want to visit with all four of my grandparents, since I never got to know them.

Bonus Question:

Inspired by Alaskan Mutt's answer to part of Friday's QotD:

//www.city-data.com/forum/25361178-post20.html

Where is the strangest place you've ever gotten a haircut?

I don't think it's unusual, but when I was in college, the cosmetology department was open to the public for haircuts, manicures and the like, and I went there on a regular basis while I went to school there. That's the "strangest" place I can think of.

Foodie Question:

Since it's that State Fair time of year with many experimental fried foods:

What unusual fried foods have you tried or heard of?

I've had deep-fried ice cream, which I like. I've heard of deep-fried Twinkies, Oreo cookies and Snickers bars, but never tried those.

Any you'd like to try, but haven't had the chance?

I'd like to try the deep-fried Twinkies, Oreo cookies and Snickers bars at least once.

Just for fun:

Check out this site at the Smithsonian Channel:

It's for a show called Aerial America along with a similar British show called Sky View.

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/site/sn/show.do?series=701

Has your favorite state been featured yet?
Yes, it has.

Is it just me or is this cool?

It's WAY cool. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great Thursday. The weekend is just around the corner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
Today's Question:
If you could visit for up to a month in any *one* decade of the 1900s (whether you've lived in it or not):

Which one would you choose and why? 1960s because I was in high school and college while having a really good time. I liked the clothes and the music.

What are some of the things you would do? Go to a concert, study more in school, go to Sonic and drink cherry cokes while eating tater tots.

I'd love to see Bob Dylan and I would avoid seeing Barry Goldwater.

Bonus Question:
Dorm room.

Foodie Question:
I had a fried Twinkie at the Texas State Fair.

I'd like to try a fried Snickers.

Just for fun:
It's for a show called Aerial America along with a similar British show called Sky View.
Has your favorite state been featured yet? Nope.

Yeah, it's just you.

Just kidding. It is cool.

Today in History:
1610 Henry Hudson entered the bay in northern Canada that was later named for him
1865 Trans Atlantic Cable laid by the British ship SS Great Eastern snapped and was lost. The ship successfully laid a new cable the following year.
1865 Author Lewis Carroll published "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"
1875 World's 1st roller skating rink opened in London
1909 Army Air Corps formed as Army took 1st delivery from the Wright Brothers six years after first flight And I believe the Army Air Corps became the US Air Force in 1947.
1945 Potsdam Conference ended in Germany with Stalin, Truman and Churchill
1961 Beatles 1st gig as house band at Liverpool's Cavern Club
2009 Two previously unknown works by Mozart - a concerto movement and a prelude, performed in Salzburg, Austria
2010 The Census of Marine Life 10-year study reported that 230,000 species of animals live in the world's oceans and most of them eat people. ahahahahahahaha
2010 The US government estimated that the Deepwater Horizon rig had dumped nearly 5 million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico What a horrible mess.

Today’s Word:
sub·lime [suh-blahym] adjective
supreme or outstanding: ex. a sublime ocean view, (Without oil, we hope. )

Today Is:
Ice Cream Sandwich Day
---Only one holiday? You know what that means.

Chart Toppers for the 2nd of August:
1945 Sentimental Journey - The Les Brown Orchestra and Doris Day Boy, I just love the Big Band sound.
1953 Rub-A-Dub-Dub - Hank Thompson
1961 Heartbreak U.S.A. - Kitty Wells
1969 Crystal Blue Persuasion - Tommy James & The Shondells Load your bong and chill.
1977 It was Almost like a Song - Ronnie Milsap
1985 Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young

Great questions. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Good morning all from an England of early morning blue skies.

Now then. The decade I would like to visit would be the 40s. I would like to see my home town Oldham during the war. I would like to take a room as a lodger near my father's home, and observe him, and his parents and siblings going about their lives. That would be very interesting.

The strangest place I've had a haircut was in Turkey. I found a proper Barber Shop, they did everything. Hot towels on the face, cut throat razor shaves, all to the loud babble of people talking. It was really interesting.

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Today's Question:
Am tempted to say the 50s because of post WW2 boom and TV just starting.
People more genuine and unaffected, but American music is undergoing some cool changes.

Then I read Sweetie Pie's answer about visiting with family so I had to change to the first decade (1900-1909) so I can visit my great grandparents and ask them questions about our family history.

Ride in a horse and buggy.
Ride the trains around America.
Meet Mark Twain!
Explore pre-car cities.
Wear weird looking old clothes.
Tell the national leaders to let WWI come to an end as a stalemate so WWII doesn't start.

Visit family, especially in St Louis because that set of great-grandparents has the thickest and highest genealogy brick walls that I can't yet scale. Includes what looks like an informal adoption of my great-grandmother and her brother by an unrelated family. Where were the parents? Had they died? Plus, what was her her mom's family heritage? -weird family name.

Bonus Question:
At the kitchen table as a kid. (Now we know AK Mutt's story. )

Foodie Question:
Tried the frozen Twinkie. It was okay.
Fried Coca~Cola. They freeze it before they fry it.

Just for fun:
Yes. Watched the Oregon episode. Didn't know much about the state, but it was interesting and the photography was awesome.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:22 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,532 times
Today's Question:
Which one would you choose and why? 1910 -1920 We, sibs and I, still own the property that's been in our family since 1841. I'd like to spend time there with my grandmother who would have been in her teens. Or maybe the 20s..... I'd wear flapper dresses, go to speakeasies and listen to jazz.

Bonus Question:
No strange places... Usually in someones kitchen with a family member cutting my hair. When my sisters and I were young one of our aunts cut our hair. She would always cut our bangs so short we'd have to tape them down after washing our hair or they'd stick out straight.

Foodie Question:
What unusual fried foods have you tried or heard of? Probably fried dandelions. Awful tasting things.

Any you'd like to try, but haven't had the chance? No, I don't eat fried foods any more.

Just for fun:
Has your favorite state been featured yet? Yes, Vermont. I also watched the preview for Maine.

Is it just me or is this cool? Very cool!

Off to pick up my younger granddaughter. Thursdays are Grammie's days! Enjoy your day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 08-02-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,701,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Happy Thursday, CDers!

Fire up your time machines for today's QotD and tell us:

Today's Question:

Which one would you choose and why? It would of been cool to be a teen in the 50's and drive around in a 55 or 57 Chevy.

What are some of the things you would do? Dress up in poodle skirts and drink cherry cokes at the local diner to see all the "cool cats." lol! Make out at the drive-in with my boyfriend. Dance my little tootsies off at the sock hop!

Anyone you would you want to see or avoid seeing? Would of loved to have seen Elvis.

Bonus Question:
Where is the strangest place you've ever gotten a haircut? Can't think of any place strange.

Foodie Question:
What unusual fried foods have you tried or heard of? I'm drawing a blank........haven't been to a state fair in many many years.

Any you'd like to try, but haven't had the chance? No

Just for fun:
Has your favorite state been featured yet? IDK

]Today in History:
1610 Henry Hudson entered the bay in northern Canada that was later named for him
1865 Trans Atlantic Cable laid by the British ship SS Great Eastern snapped and was lost. The ship successfully laid a new cable the following year.
1909 Army Air Corps formed as Army took 1st delivery from the Wright Brothers six years after first flight
2009 Two previously unknown works by Mozart - a concerto movement and a prelude, performed in Salzburg, Austria
2010 The Census of Marine Life 10-year study reported that 230,000 species of animals live in the world's oceans
2010 The US government estimated that the Deepwater Horizon rig had dumped nearly 5 million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Ice Cream Sandwich Day

1945 Sentimental Journey - The Les Brown Orchestra and Doris Day
1969 Crystal Blue Persuasion - Tommy James & The Shondells

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is contributed by PawleysDude. In his words this was taken in Key West "of a street
performer during the daily sunset celebration on Mallory Square. It's a longstanding tradition in KW,
where visitors and locals gather each evening on a pier to be entertained, have a drink, and celebrate
the end of another day (and usually the start of another nite of partying) in paradise. Life is good in KW..."

Thanks for sharing, PawleysDude.

Have a good day, everyone.
You too,bjh.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times
Today's Question:
Which one would you choose and why? The 1960's because my family would be alive and it would be wonderful to be with them.

What are some of the things you would do? Just be together like we were back then.

Anyone you would you want to see or avoid seeing? Mom and Dad and my sister and brother.

Bonus Question:
Where is the strangest place you've ever gotten a haircut? Probably my bathroom.

Foodie Question:
What unusual fried foods have you tried or heard of? Fried Snickers....I've not tried them......can't imagine what they would taste like.

Any you'd like to try, but haven't had the chance? Nothing I can think of.......that kind of food is too unhealthy to suit me.

Just for fun:
Has your favorite state been featured yet? I don't know I'll have to check it out.

Today in History:
1909 Army Air Corps formed as Army took 1st delivery from the Wright Brothers six years after first flight
2010 The Census of Marine Life 10-year study reported that 230,000 species of animals live in the world's oceans
2010 The US government estimated that the Deepwater Horizon rig had dumped nearly 5 million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Ice Cream Sandwich Day Yum.......I love those.

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is contributed by PawleysDude. In his words this was taken in Key West "of a street
performer during the daily sunset celebration on Mallory Square. It's a longstanding tradition in KW,
where visitors and locals gather each evening on a pier to be entertained, have a drink, and celebrate
the end of another day (and usually the start of another nite of partying) in paradise. Life is good in KW..."

Thanks for sharing, PawleysDude. Cool picture!!!!

Have a good day, everyone.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:09 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,358 times
Mornin' all!

Happy Thursday, CDers!

Fire up your time machines for today's QotD and tell us:
Oooooh!!! Does this include a ride in the TARDIS?!?!?!

Today's Question:

Definitely the 60's. I have always felt like a Hippie, but I was born just a few years too late.

Go to Woodstock, really follow the Grateful Dead, visit "the Haight," join a commune, burn my bra and participate in the Summer of Love!

I would also want to be a bit more mature, for the time in the late 70's when my grandma tells me she wants to sit me down and pass on all the family secrets to me.

And did I mention burn my bra?

Avoid "The Man," man.

Bonus Question:
I don't remember getting my hair cut anywhere else other than a beauty shop. Except when I was in beauty school and got my hair cut there. Pretty ordinary really.

Foodie Question:
I've heard of all the ususal; Oreos, Twinkies, etc.

I'm not much of a Fair person, so I probably won't get the chance to try any of them. I can't say I consider that to be a loss. I'll just stick with a soy corn dog.

Just for fun:
Nope. And they probably shouldn't. Corn as far as the eye can see in all directions? Who wants to watch that?!?!?!

It's pretty cool. The Mutt has a beautiful state up there, and it will be nice to see it from the air.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Ice Cream Sandwich Day

1985 Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young I love 80'smusic!

A Picture for Today:
Thanx for the photo PawleysDude! Can I get a soy cheeseburger in that paradise?!?!?!

Thanx for the Qs bjh!
Have a great day everyone!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:13 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times
Today's Question:

1980"s - It had decent music.

What are some of the things you would do? I don't know - Hang with Family?

Bonus Question:
Where is the strangest place you've ever gotten a haircut? Bathroom

Foodie Question:
What unusual fried foods have you tried or heard of? Nothing.

Any you'd like to try, but haven't had the chance? Nope..

Just for fun:
Aerial America - Smithsonian Channel
Has your favorite state been featured yet? I dunno.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,544,451 times
Good morning all!
Had to make a quick trip into the office before I take off to a Patriot Guard Mission for one of our local Hero's KIA. Let's do something fun 1st

Today's Question:
Which one would you choose and why? 50's...I love the music, poodle skirts and saddle shoes!

What are some of the things you would do? Go to a Sock Hop! I'd avoid "Thrill Hill" (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Anyone you would you want to see or avoid seeing? Herman's Hermits!

Bonus Question:
Where is the strangest place you've ever gotten a haircut? In my kitchen, from my brother, with bowl upon my head. I don't think I need to say just how thrilled my mother was at this. Did I mention it was the day before school pictures?

Foodie Question:
What unusual fried foods have you tried or heard of? Heard of Fried CocaCola and tried the friend Oreo.

Any you'd like to try, but haven't had the chance? I have yet to try the fried twinkie.

Just for fun:
Aerial America - Smithsonian Channel

Today Is:
Ice Cream Sandwich Day
---Only one holiday? You know what that means. -Moosetracks please!

1945 Sentimental Journey - The Les Brown Orchestra and Doris Day-Love this song!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics