Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,665 times

Advertisements

That is the one thing I do not miss about Florida... the excrutiating hot/humid summers. So if I ever decide to move from this 'corner of nowhere', it wont be Arizona. Which is ironic. I almost moved there instead of Florida in '98.

Do your best to keep cool Aks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:29 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
I feel sorry for the stray animals especially when the weather is extreme. Most people don't think of their plight in life and how they suffer.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,007,300 times
It was a real scorcher in Anchorage, AK today. Temps pushed well into the 60's. However it was a dry heat so it was not too bad.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
It was a real scorcher in Anchorage, AK today. Temps pushed well into the 60's. However it was a dry heat so it was not too bad.
LOL! I'm wearing my light jacket at 60 degrees

Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that people would even consider doing that.
It happens more frequently than you can imagine.
Here's a story about 7 kids left in hot cars this past week that have died. 25-30 kids nationally die each year from being left in hot cars. A tragedy that can be avoided.
Seven children in 4 states die after being left in hot cars - National Child Safety | Examiner.com

Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I agree it's best to not leave kids or animals in the car even with A/C on unless there is another adult in the vehicle completely in charge. Otherwise, just don't take a chance. If the car or A/C somehow shuts off while kids or animals are waiting, deadly heat can quickly build up.

Stay cool, Aks!
yes, people should not even leave a dog in the car for half an hour, they can dehydrate.

Also in east Tenn some people tie their dogs out in the heat , with no shade. This is wrong.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It happens more frequently than you can imagine.
Here's a story about 7 kids left in hot cars this past week that have died. 25-30 kids nationally die each year from being left in hot cars. A tragedy that can be avoided.
Seven children in 4 states die after being left in hot cars - National Child Safety | Examiner.com
I love how that article is couched. It's basically a piece on how not to forget your own kid in your car.

"Back seat - Put something in the back seat so you have to open the door when leaving the vehicle - cell phone, employee badge, handbag, etc. Every child should be correctly restrained in the back seat.
Stuffed animal - Move it from the car seat to the front seat to remind you when your baby is in the back seat.
Ask your babysitter or child-care provider to call you within 10 minutes if your child hasn't arrived on time.
Focus on driving - Avoid cell phone calls and texting while driving.
Every time you park your vehicle open the back door to make sure no one has been left behind."

Really? People need to be reminded of the presence of their own children?

Are they really that bleepin' stupid?

And if so, can we please tie their tubes/snip their doodads so they don't have any more kids?

I fear for humanity. I really do.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,847,059 times
Some people just do not have respect for others. They're too concerned about themselves, I guess you'd call it an ego-trip. Why get a pet if you're going to just leave it outside? Why have children if you're not going to take care of them? I think some people just see them as moving objects instead of living, breathing creatures. If you cannot take care of yourself, how can we expect you to take care of someone / something else?

nitram's post brings up just how heartless people can be (not nitram, but the people who left the children inside the car). Young people who have their whole lives ahead of them and full of potential are being taken care of by irresponsible adults who don't have any concept of how to raise and take care of that child. They didn't even get a chance to explore the world.

Quote:
On Aug. 3 in Springdale, Ark., a boy, 2, died after being left in his great-grandparents' vehicle.
I could only imagine the parents reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
LOL! I'm wearing my light jacket at 60 degrees
I too freeze to death if the temp is 60 degrees or under! The kicker is that I'm from WISCONSIN! LOL. I was "southerized" too quick.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
I still dont get people who "forget" a baby is in the car.
When did this become common?

ten, twenty years ago I dont recall hearing this in the news (as much) . Like the Casey Anthony case, a dead kid is just considered a "minor accident" by some.

As a society, there's really something wrong here.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,847,059 times
I think the more we move "forward" as a society, we become more lazy. Machines are doing most (if not all) of the work for us. It's sad when a company can make a profit off of a seat that sends the parents a text that they left their child in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics