Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,050,220 times

Advertisements

How about the police K9 that was left in the patrol car and they had to put him down

Arizona K-9 left in hot patrol car is put to sleep, officials say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Don’t leave your kids or animals inside the car while the summer temperatures are so high, not even if you leave the a/c turned on!

If there’s anything I didn’t like to see today it was the HOT temperatures. I couldn’t believe how bad it was so I took some pictures to help identify just how hot it got. Notice there are a couple of pics inside the car, one with the sunshield in place at (158) in the window and one without the sunshield at (180). The outside of the vehicle was at 140 degrees on the hood, while in the shaded area of the patio on the bench it was only 120 degrees. Outside on the back patio it was 112.5. Note that is was only 110 with the non-digital thermometer while sitting on top of the digital one that read 112.5. All these temperatures were taken within ten minutes of time of each other and I checked with the local news network which said it was 114 outside in the shade.
Aks, after I saw the temps in YOUR place, I will never complain about Houston heat again!!!

Spotted by a local church:

Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
I too freeze to death if the temp is 60 degrees or under! The kicker is that I'm from WISCONSIN! LOL. I was "southerized" too quick.
Hahaha! That's what happened to a close friend of mine who grew up on brutal Connecticut winters ... He has gotten himself Californianized and now Floridazed

Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Aks, after I saw the temps in YOUR place, I will never complain about Houston heat again!!!
But it's a dry heat.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Quote:
Don’t leave your kids or animals inside the car while the summer temperatures are so high, not even if you leave the a/c turned on!

If there’s anything I didn’t like to see today it was the HOT temperatures. I couldn’t believe how bad it was so I took some pictures to help identify just how hot it got. Notice there are a couple of pics inside the car, one with the sunshield in place at (158) in the window and one without the sunshield at (180). The outside of the vehicle was at 140 degrees on the hood, while in the shaded area of the patio on the bench it was only 120 degrees. Outside on the back patio it was 112.5. Note that is was only 110 with the non-digital thermometer while sitting on top of the digital one that read 112.5. All these temperatures were taken within ten minutes of time of each other and I checked with the local news network which said it was 114 outside in the shade.

Only 100` ???

Anything over 95 is too much, dry heat or not. Of course we have worse humidity in the east, so I guess it balances out

Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,775,765 times
Our heat way finally broke here. It's cool and raining out.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
How about the police K9 that was left in the patrol car and they had to put him down

Transferring gear ok, but its over 100 degrees outside, how could it escape the idiot when he first left the dog in the car just how hot it was. As we are talking about Arizona where the norm is very warm, wouldn't it be second nature to think about the heat issue with a K9 partner? I'm sure he is upset over it, but does someone that unreliable and non-thinking belong on the force? I think not. Its very sad, poor dog.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post

The link says "DPS officers are conducting an internal inquiry into whether any policies were violated."

Leaving a partner helpless in a life-threatening condition to dash off to a serious accident is certainly a violation. One dead K-9 is too many and I've seen several reports like this the last two years. I was in Lake City, FL in 2010. The man that kept my grounds was chatty when he had the chance and one day asked if I had seen the news about the K-9 that died in the officer's car. I had not seen it and he told me the officer was his neighbor. The story from the officer was that while on duty with the K-9 he made a quick stop at home (kids in school, wife at work) to pick up medication. He took the meds, sat down for a minute and fell asleep. This was in the summer, K-9 in the car with windows up. When he finally woke up and went out the dog was dead. My lawn man said this officer was the person who raised and trained K-9's, had spent thousands of dollars for proper kennels and at the time had two other young dogs in training. That's all a big plus but you never ever leave your dog in the car. I've never found anything online about this one. But look at the articles below. If Brutus is the dog the lawn man told me about, the article is wrong and probably the way the dept dealt with it -- just covered it up. It's my guess that same officer still has the K-9's. Looks like Lake City, FL is a bad place for K-9's.

This one on Brutus says only that he was found dead at his home in 2010.
CCSO K-9 Brutus found dead - Lake City Journal - Lake City, FL

Trooper found dead last year. The pic shows Trooper as found in the kennel with concerns from the Medical Coordinator of Animal Cruelty that the dog's position in the cage was staged.
Lake City Police Department - Whereabouts of Trooper's death unsolved

A different article on Trooper also with concerns.
Lake City Police Department's K-9 Officer "Trooper" found dead

Old 08-10-2012, 05:58 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
Why would an officer take medication that would make him sleepy while on duty? Allergy pills can make one sleepy, but not knock you out like a light. Why would one even lie down knowing the dog was in the car? Why wouldn't he have left the car running and ac going, if only running in for a minute. Cops generally do that even without a K9 partner. I wouldn't have wanted this kind of partner when I was a cop. He should have been fired. How he could personally absolve himself is another matter. A sad and sickening story.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
I'm in Phoenix AZ,,, but it's a dry heat

The main thing is DON'T leave your kids, dogs or cats inside the vehicle while you run into the store for just a minute to grab something and {{{{ think }}}} you'll be back out to the car right away. Humans and pets can have brain damage within a few minutes of these types of temperatures. Even in those other areas of the country were it's cooler, those inside temps get awfully high.
Narrowly escaped moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics