Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times

Advertisements

Keeping fresh fruits in the freezer is a money saver for me. Markets now have fruits already packaged in zip lock bags instead of out on the table for picky choosing. So unless I want a pile of fruit large enough for five people, the only option is to take some out and put it into another bag. I sometimes do that (along with others) sometimes don't. One thing I always keep in the freezer is blueberries. I add them to something like oatmeal cereal - rinse first and plop in and they're quickly soft with the hot water.

I've switched back to Dasani bottled water. It tastes good with added minerals and is purified with reverse osmosis.

Nice tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
These are all great tips!! Though the produce selection and season has somewhat expanded in the stores here, there are still so many times of the year when frozen fruits and vegetables are a great option.

Right now some of the stores here have their 1# bags of frozen vegetables on sale for less than $1, so even if the fresh produce is good, I do stock up on the frozen for later.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Good tips Pam, and yes Trader Joe's $4.99 bottled wine is just as good as any expensive wine purchased elsewhere.
Now when do we eat...
I like their Pinot Noir.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Greetings, kids! Today's Tip is some helpful shopping hints that I've gleaned from a
Reader's Digest article and paraphrased for you. Scroll on down and check it out.

49% of bottled water in the U.S. comes from purified municipal tap water. Save a ton of money by using a simple home water filter. (I use a Brita pitcher. )

The only time I buy bottled water is when I'm out of the house and need it. I'll get a bottle of water at a convenient store because they don't have a "drinking fountain" and if there is a public drinking fountain it's usually filthy.

At home we use a reverse osmosis filtering system that removes all the unwanted chemicals that are contained in the city water. City water tastes ok but I don't want to drink those chemicals from the different manufacturing companies.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,310,466 times
We drink well water here too. It's crystal clear and tastes like water should taste! It sure beats the water we had in the city. NO weird chlorine taste and smell. When I drink water, I don't want to taste bleach! YUK!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I agree Pam! All great tips!! Thanks! We need a bigger freezer.
I wish I had a bigger freezer, too. After I freeze a few gallon-size bags of fresh-picked berries, I don't have room for much else in my freezer. It would be nice to be able to stock up on meat, fish and other stuff when it's on sale.

Since flash-freezing was invented, frozen fruits are really delicious and fresh-tasting now. Yum!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Good tips Pam, and yes Trader Joe's $4.99 bottled wine is just as good as any expensive wine purchased elsewhere.
Now when do we eat...
I've also found that my local Aldi store carries some yummy dry red wines that are only 5 or 6 bucks a bottle.

I wish we had Trader Joe's in my area.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,677,609 times
I find it hard to believe that any magazine can tell me one brand tastes better than another. If you have a hard time with that statement think of the worst tasting food you have ever eaten and remember how many others think it's good. I find Jiffy Brownies, $.99 at my store, cooked for 8 1/2 min on 50% power in the microwave are great. Haggis, no mater how it's cooked, not so much, in fact not at all.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,036,173 times
Great tips Pam, thanks! When I buy fresh fruit it usually seems to get ruined before I can eat it all so I'll try buying more frozen fruit from now on. I have a Brita water filter pitcher, the tap water here doesn't taste very good so I always use that...lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I wish I had a bigger freezer, too. After I freeze a few gallon-size bags of fresh-picked berries, I don't have room for much else in my freezer. It would be nice to be able to stock up on meat, fish and other stuff when it's on sale.

Since flash-freezing was invented, frozen fruits are really delicious and fresh-tasting now. Yum!

I have a nice-sized freezer unit to my old 40YO Refrigerator (an old slide-out freezer unit) and I have a big stand up freezer.

An extra freezer will pay for itself over an over and over again, mine was "paid off" years ago! When I run into a sale on something, like chicken breasts @99 cents a pound, there goes 5 packages into the freezer! They had a great sale on bacon a month ago, there went 8 packages into the freezer!

You threw me for a loop on this one! I can't believe it you don't own a big stand-up freezer? No room in your kitchen for it? One of the biggest money-savers you'll ever own!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 08-20-2012 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics