Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM

44,398 posts, read 20,125,699 times

Advertisements

Greetings, kids! Today's Tip is some helpful shopping hints that I've gleaned from a
Reader's Digest article and paraphrased for you. Scroll on down and check it out.

SAVE MONEY ON THESE ITEMS AT THE SUPERMARKET

Frozen fruits are cheaper than out-of-season fresh produce. They even taste better because they are flash-frozen right after picking. And get this - they often have more nutrients than fresh produce. Cool!

Don't buy pre-formed frozen hamburgers. Buy fresh ground beef and make your own. You can hand-form a beef patty in less than 10 seconds.

Light versions of fruit juices are simply watered down. Buy the regular version and water it down yourself.

If your recipe calls for melting or mixing cheese with other ingredients, buy the cheap stuff and you probably won't be able to tell the difference. Save the really expensive artisan cheeses for a special-occasion cheese plate.

Don't necessarily pooh-pooh inexpensive wines. Regular folks like us AND wine experts chose several inexpensive wines such as Barefoot, Trader Joe's Charles Shaw and Black Box just as often in a large-scale blind tasting.

Gourmet baking mixes for cookies and brownies aren't necessarily better than regular brands. Consumer Reports taste tests proved that Duncan Hines brownies are "just as showstopping" as pricier gourmet mixes.

49% of bottled water in the U.S. comes from purified municipal tap water. Save a ton of money by using a simple home water filter. (I use a Brita pitcher. )

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-20-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 PM

72,452 posts, read 18,221,165 times
Thanks Pammy! I usually use the filtered water not bottle water,not sure if it's safer but the local water district says it's safe,but no choice

Cookies better make it at home. Too many mixed ingredients in the box of cookies!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,050,376 times
All good tips, especially the wine...

Old 08-19-2012, 09:17 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,964,304 times
I agree Pam! All great tips!! Thanks! We need a bigger freezer.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 PM

23,291 posts, read 29,151,074 times
I never buy bottled water unless I'm traveling in a foreign country. My Mexican roommate of 13 years has never drank water out of my tap, and never will, and no matter how much lecturing I've done, over the years, it falls on deaf ears! He thinks of it as poison! I've drunk tap water my entire life, and it hasn't effect my health or mynd in any way!

Where did I read it, that in San Francisco, now, even in the 5-star restaurants, they serve tap water, no more bottled water due to environmental reasons!

All good priceless tips, Pam, thanks!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 PM

21,599 posts, read 8,768,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Where did I read it, that in San Francisco, now, even in the 5-star restaurants, they serve tap water, no more bottled water due to environmental reasons!
I live in San Francisco and am not aware of this trend, but I can tell you that our tap water is very high quality. It tastes so good that you really can't tell it from pricey bottled waters.

[Edit]Out of curiosity I Googled it and came up with this:
Fighting the Tide, A Few Restaurants Tilt to Tap Water

Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 AM

44,676 posts, read 61,781,466 times
Good tips Pam, and yes Trader Joe's $4.99 bottled wine is just as good as any expensive wine purchased elsewhere.
Now when do we eat...

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,479,617 times
Excellent and timely tips given that money is tight!

We have a couple of empty water bottle that we fill with our filtered water.

I'll look into that bit about frozen fruit as I make my own smoothies.

Thanks Pam.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:35 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,060,394 times
Great tips, Pam. Drink out of the tap here, though it is run through a couple of filters. Heck of a lot less expensive than buying bottled water at the store.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 AM

36,462 posts, read 16,069,703 times
Drink my well water here, pammy!! Good stuff, with lots of sand and grit but hey those are minerals my body needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics