Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Nice brisk morning in the Windy City today.

Today's Question(s):
When you want to treat yourself to something you rarely do, but enjoy very much, what is it you take yourself out to do?

Just for Fun:
What small thing do you notice, such as the nap of a fabric, or a particular sign, that seems to pass everyone else by?

Bonus Question:
Connie the Construction Fairy is bringing you enough supplies to build whatever you want, as long as it fits within the boundaries of the property you currently inhabit. What will you build?

Today in History:
2011 In Bogota, Columbia, 200,000 people protest government cuts in education
1991 Pittsburgh Steelers guard Terry Long loses his steroids appeal and is suspended without pay by NFL for 4 weeks
1982 Polish Solidarity chairman Lech Walesa freed
1972 Dow Jones closes above 1,000 for 1st time (1003.16)
1964 "Oliver!" closes at Imperial Theater New York City after 774 performances
1953 WCIA TV channel 3 in Champaign, IL (CBS) begins broadcasting
1908 Albert Einstein presents quantum theory of light
1851 "Moby Dick," by Herman Melville, published
1666 Samuel Pepys reports on 1st blood transfusion (between dogs)

Today’s Word:
blitzkrieg
PronunciationBLITS-kreeg)
Meaning: noun: 1. An intense campaign, for example, an ad blitz. 2. A swift, sudden military attack, especially aerial bombardment.
verb tr.: To attack or destroy in a sudden campaign.
Etymology: From German Blitzkrieg, from Blitz (lightning) + Krieg (war). Earliest documented use: 1939.

Today is:
International Girl's Day
Loosen Up, Lighten Up Day
National American Teddy Bear Day
Spirit of NSA Day
World Diabetes Day

Quote of the Day:
Live long and prosper. ~Mr. Spock

Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM

9,631 posts, read 820,270 times
Today's Question(s):
When you want to treat yourself to something you rarely do, but enjoy very much, what is it you take yourself out to do?
To answer question of the day

Just for Fun:
What small thing do you notice, such as the nap of a fabric, or a particular sign, that seems to pass everyone else by?
Beautiful starlit night

Bonus Question:
Connie the Construction Fairy is bringing you enough supplies to build whatever you want, as long as it fits within the boundaries of the property you currently inhabit. What will you build?
I'd build the biggest aquapark ever.

Thanks

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post

I'll bet. It's getting cooler almost everywhere.

Today's Question(s):
Rarely? A drive to a nearby town for browsing whatever, acting like a tourist for a day and a meal at a local restaurant.

Just for Fun:
Too many to mention.

Bonus Question:
An inground pool.

Today is:
Have a good one!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Today's Question(s):

Once in a while I will pack up a lunch, stop by the store and buy a bottle of Green River soda and go on a picnic. The soda tends to be rather pricy so it is not often I treat myself to one.

Just for Fun:

When I am at an airport waiting for my flight, while most people watch the airplanes come and go, I watch all the other things going on. Things like vehicles driving on the ramp, baggage tugs coming and going, block in crews getting the ramp ready for a flight to arrive and the lone suitcase that fell out of the baggage cart and is now sitting in the middle of the ramp.

Bonus Question:

If Connie just supplying the supplies and I have to do the building she can just load everything back up and haul it away. I have enough to do without having to build something. On the other hand, if Connie is also supplying the manpower to do the building, then I could use another shed in the back yard. Mind you this will not be any old shed. In addition to having a work space, there will also be a game room large enough for a full size pool table, a few pinball machines, a wet bar, several lazy boy recliners, a big screen tv, a full kitchen and a climate controlled room for storing cheese.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Mornin' all!

Nice brisk morning in the Windy City today. I can attest to that. Hi, neighbor Pat!

Today's Question(s):
When you want to treat yourself to something you rarely do, but enjoy very much, what is it you take yourself out to do? A fancy meal with excellent wine at a fancy schmancy restaurant.

Just for Fun:
What small thing do you notice, such as the nap of a fabric, or a particular sign, that seems to pass everyone else by? I notice misspellings in signs all the time. Drives me nuts! I want to take some white-out and a felt marker and correct them!

Bonus Question:
Connie the Construction Fairy is bringing you enough supplies to build whatever you want, as long as it fits within the boundaries of the property you currently inhabit. What will you build? A garage. I've never had a garage and that's a real pain in the neck during the snowy, icy winter. I've already had to scrape frost off my car windows a few mornings this fall. It would be so nice to gave a garage!

Today’s Word:
blitzkrieg
Meaning: noun: 1. An intense campaign, for example, an ad blitz. 2. A swift, sudden military attack, especially aerial bombardment.
Etymology: From German Blitzkrieg, from Blitz (lightning) + Krieg (war). Earliest documented use: 1939.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were no more blitzkriegs and no more wars? Only in heaven, I guess.

Today is:
International Girl's Day Yay! I'm a girl.
Loosen Up, Lighten Up Day Okay, okay, get off my back. Oh wait! Yes, I think I will lighten up. Nothing's worth stressing over. Have a happy day!
National American Teddy Bear Day I have a little, white teddy bear that my dad gave me shortly before he died. It's so cute, and I love that it reminds me of my dad.
Spirit of NSA Day I have no idea what this is.
World Diabetes Day It's very important to be aware of this awful disease - how to prevent it and how to live healthfully with it if you've got it. Hopefully, one day researchers will find a cure.

Quote of the Day:
Live long and prosper. ~Mr. Spock Yay! I love Mr. Spock!

Have a great day everyone! Yes - Happy Hump Day!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-14-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today's Question(s):
When you want to treat yourself to something you rarely do, but enjoy very much, what is it you take yourself out to do? Take a drive in the mountains.

Just for Fun:
What small thing do you notice, such as the nap of a fabric, or a particular sign, that seems to pass everyone else by? Floss stuff on the mirror.

Bonus Question:
Connie the Construction Fairy is bringing you enough supplies to build whatever you want, as long as it fits within the boundaries of the property you currently inhabit. What will you build? Concubine.

"Happy Hump Day", enjoy...

Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Today's Question(s):
When you want to treat yourself to something you rarely do, but enjoy very much, what is it you take yourself out to do? An out of town trip.

Just for Fun:
What small thing do you notice, such as the nap of a fabric, or a particular sign, that seems to pass everyone else by? I can't think of anything.

Bonus Question:
A new stockade fence.

Today in History:
1991 Pittsburgh Steelers guard Terry Long loses his steroids appeal and is suspended without pay by NFL for 4 weeks
1964 "Oliver!" closes at Imperial Theater New York City after 774 performances Great music!
1666 Samuel Pepys reports on 1st blood transfusion (between dogs) Wow! or Bow Wow!

Today’s Word:
blitzkrieg

Today is:
International Girl's Day
Loosen Up, Lighten Up Day Yes, please!
Spirit of NSA Day
World Diabetes Day

Quote of the Day:
Live long and prosper. ~Mr. Spock I love Mr. Spock.

Have a great day everyone! Ditto.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
When you want to treat yourself to something you rarely do, but enjoy very much, what is it you take yourself out to do? Dinner and a concert.I may be getting old but I still can rock and roll.

Just for Fun:
What small thing do you notice, such as the nap of a fabric, or a particular sign, that seems to pass everyone else by? When I'm in a store I watch how people behave,especially if they have small children and ignore them. It's not a small thing but it's the first thing I thought of.

Bonus Question:
Connie the Construction Fairy is bringing you enough supplies to build whatever you want, as long as it fits within the boundaries of the property you currently inhabit. What will you build?A tree house!lol!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
blitzkrieg

Today is:
International Girl's Day
Spirit of NSA Day - I'll leave the speaking to someone else.
World Diabetes Day - Watch your diet people.

Quote of the Day:
Live long and prosper. ~Mr. Spock

Have a great day everyone!
Happy Hump Day!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Today's Question(s):

A driving trip involving at least one overnight.

Just for Fun:

The birds. I watch them all the time even when I'm out doing errands.

Bonus Question:

What good is a construction fairy if it's just going to sit there and watch you do all of the construction work? Sounds more like a Supply Fairy to me.

However, a Construction Fairy that also gets off their fairy butt and actually does some fairy construction work will build me a human sized robot who picks up after me, cleans, packs, carries groceries up and down stairs, takes out the trash and is quiet when I read, watch TV, sleep, post.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
Today's Question(s):
SHOPPING!!!!!! FOR ME, MYSELF AND I!

Just for Fun:
What small thing do you notice, such as the nap of a fabric, or a particular sign, that seems to pass everyone else by? Panty lines showing when people wear slacks. This bugs me.

Bonus Question:
Connie the Construction Fairy is bringing you enough supplies to build whatever you want, as long as it fits within the boundaries of the property you currently inhabit. What will you build? Since she's coming and it appears it's free, she can build all new buildings on the property....a barn, a shed, a horse stable, a coyote/ fox proof chicken coop, new brick driveway, new patio and when she gets here I might add something.

Today in History:

1953 WCIA TV channel 3 in Champaign, IL (CBS) begins broadcasting Yay for channel 3...I watched Captain Kangaroo on this channel....and also I Love Lucy and Ed Sullivan ....here's a neat history of Illinois television...... including WCIA
WCIA Champaign History Part 1

1851 "Moby Dick," by Herman Melville, published Go Moby

Today’s Word:
blitzkrieg

Today is:
International Girl's Day
Spirit of NSA Day
World Diabetes Day

Quote of the Day:
Live long and prosper. ~Mr. Spock Love ya Mr. Spock!

thanks for the memories....have a good day everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics