Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times

Advertisements

Just a curiosity question. Anyone here care to share their bloodlines; where your ancestors came from? I'm your garden variety mutt. Mostly Irish, English, Scottish, and Welsh. A bit of German. And, to top it off, one of my great-grandmothers was Seminole, (no, not a "princess". Native Americans didn't have royalty, in the sense that most of us understand, i.e. European.

Actually I have a few other bloodlines, but I'm still researching them. (Genealogy is one of my other hobbies, that I forgot to mention on another thread.) I like history, and our family lines are part of that, whether we have anyone famous or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 06:59 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
American of Italian descent....(Irish and German by injection as my retarded husband would say a.k.a., I married a retarded American whose family drank beer and ate potatoes LOL)

Old 09-22-2006, 07:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I did a class project in school. My father's father's side of the family went to Scotland from Ireland back in the 9th century. My father's mother's side has quite a few blank spots, but some Cheyenne Indian. Mother's side came from one of the slovias (not remembering at the moment), and there was mention of a gypsy.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:08 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Just a curiosity question. Anyone here care to share their bloodlines; where your ancestors came from? I'm your garden variety mutt. Mostly Irish, English, Scottish, and Welsh. A bit of German. And, to top it off, one of my great-grandmothers was Seminole, (no, not a "princess". Native Americans didn't have royalty, in the sense that most of us understand, i.e. European.

Actually I have a few other bloodlines, but I'm still researching them. (Genealogy is one of my other hobbies, that I forgot to mention on another thread.) I like history, and our family lines are part of that, whether we have anyone famous or not.
I'm a mutt too. Mom's side: Greatgrandpa came from Belfast, N. Ireland, moved to North Dakota, became a sheriff, married a German girl, started a farm, had it blown away in a tornado, moved to pre-war California. He was cool, let me smoke his pipe when no one was around. Greatgrandma gave big wet kisses you had to wipe your cheek off afterwards..Needless to say, I tried to stay away from her
My maternal grandmother. English background from Boston.
Paternal greatgrandparents were Norwegian immigrants who settled in Brainerd, Minnesota. Had six kids. My grandpa spoke Norwegian as a child. He married my paternal grandmother who was Irish/German from Ohio.
My mother and her brother have dual Irish and American nationality and have both passports.
If you bake all that at 350F, you get me

Old 09-22-2006, 07:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times
Default Heinz 57 here

My Dad's side is mostly English, French and Irish and my Great-grandparents on my Grandmother's side were French Canadian.
I really don't know about my Mom's family history except that my Grandfather was adopted. He had red hair and my Mom had his red hair and green eyes.That kind of lead me to believe there must be some Irish there.
Good luck with your research, CelticLady1. When my Dad and I got involved with our search we ended up finding a long lost cousin of his. She now lives in Florida also and she and my Dad get together several times a year.

Last edited by grammy164; 09-22-2006 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-22-2006, 07:39 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
My Dad's side is mostly English, French and Irish and my Great-grandparents on my Grandmother's side were French Canadian.
I really don't know about my Mom's family history except that my Grandfather was adopted. He had red hair and my Mom had his red hair and green eyes.That kind of lead me to believe there must be some Irish there.
Good luck with your reserch, CelticLady1. When my Dad and I got involved with our search we ended up finding a long lost cousin of his. She now lives in Florida also and she and my Dad get together several times a year.
While he may have been of Irish background, I wouldn't be surprised if your grandpa was actually of Scottish background. The real epicenter for red hair in the world is Scotland followed by Ireland and then to lesser degrees in England, Scandinavia, and Germany. Approximately 10% of Scots have varying shades of red hair. It's kind of like blondes, the center for blondism is Poland.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 PM

This is cool to see where people came from. I suppose I didn't give the thread the best descriptive title, though. I couldn't think of a way to word it. Should have given that some more thought, I guess.

I have noticed that, also about the red hair thing. One of my lines that I thought was Irish actually started in Scotland.

I hope more folks will share. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I find it enjoyable to know about other folks' background. I even work a little on others' genealogy, who don't even have a direct connection to me. Even my best friend wants some help. Though that may stump me. She's adopted, and I am not a professional, by any stretch of the imagination. But, I'll try...

Old 09-22-2006, 08:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Just a curiosity question. Anyone here care to share their bloodlines.
50% Irish. The rest German, English, and Scottish. Related to the Duke of Wellington who beat Napoleon at Waterloo.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:06 PM

311 posts, read 618,444 times
CelticLady1, interesting thread....I love genealogy. My mother's family kept extremely good records of family, lots of estate papers, etc. We have traced ancestors back to Ayr, Scotland and we visited the area a few years ago. I don't know how long you have been involved with this but you will find(or have found) it is addictive!

Old 09-22-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
CelticLady1, interesting thread....I love genealogy. My mother's family kept extremely good records of family, lots of estate papers, etc. We have traced ancestors back to Ayr, Scotland and we visited the area a few years ago. I don't know how long you have been involved with this but you will find(or have found) it is addictive!
Actually, I've been doing this for quite a few years, and you are absolutely right...it is addictive! I have at least 1,500 names, (possibly more, I can't quite remember) on my computer program, and a very large file box, stuffed to the brim. But, I have to scratch for just about every tidbit I can find, (and, change it every time I find a mistake ) My family wasn't as good at keeping records. But, as frustrating as it is, I still find it fascinating. When I'm working on it, I think of what was going on at the time of history, of whichever ancestor I'm working on. They were a part of all that history!

Last edited by CelticLady1; 09-22-2006 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: missed a couple of words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics