Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:07 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,378 posts, read 30,577,008 times

Advertisements

Good morning, afternoon or evening. Kobber asked me to fill in for her today as she won't be available to post.

Just so you know, today's QotD came wrapped in Spider Man Christmas wrapping paper. That is kind of a family joke from one year when we somehow wound up with a Spider Man wrap. It was red and looked Christmasy so someone put it in the cart with all the others. Then we got home: Spider Man? Who picked this one? Maybe it was Spidey himself! But it brings us to . . .

Today's Question:
What are some of the patterns or pictures on your Christmas wrap?

Which ones do you like best?

Do you use ribbons, bows and other knick-knacks, too? Which ones?

Bonus Question:
Who are you spending the day with or they with you?

Any friends, neighbors, co-workers included or just family?

Anyone working today?

If so, are you glad or sad or indifferent about that?

Foodie Question:
What are some of your snacks and meals going to consist of today?

Are you watching what you eat or throwing caution to the wind for a day?

Just for fun:
Please, tell us something fun, funny or just plain happy that's happened during your holiday celebrations this or any year.

Today in History:
352 1st definite date Christmas celebrated on Dec 25th
1066 William the Conqueror crowned king of England
1741 Swedish astronomer Anders Celcius introduced Centigrade temperature scale
1776 Washington crossed Delaware River and defeated 1,400 Hessian hired soldiers in a surprise attack
1818 Handel's Messiah, U.S. premiere in Boston
1868 Despite opposition President A Johnson granted unconditional pardon to all involved in the US Civil War
1914 Unofficial "Christmas Truce," British and German soldiers came out of WWI trenches and played soccer
1939 Montgomery Ward department store introduced Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
1958 The Chipmunk Song became the only Christmas song in US history to be Number #1 on Christmas Day
1991 Mikhail Gorbachev formally resigned as President of U.S.S.R.
2010 First Christmas snowfall in 128 years in Atlanta, Georgia; over 500 flights affected

Today’s Word:
furze [furz] noun
"evergreen shrub," O.E. fyrs, any spiny shrub of the genus Ulex, of the legume family, native to the Old World, especially U. europaeus,
having rudimentary leaves and yellow flowers and growing in otherwise infertile and sandy soil

Today Is:
Christmas Day
Pumpkin Pie Day

Today's Picture:
I took this picture last year of a Christmas tree on Mud Island near downtown Memphis at dusk.

Merry Christmas to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,114,416 times
Today's Question:
Stripes and you name it...
It's a toss up..

Bonus Question:
We'll head over to daughters and SIL's with gkids.
Just family
Anyone working today?
No..
Pffttt!P

Foodie Question:
Tamales and I dunno what else..

Just for fun:
Please, tell us something fun, funny or just plain happy that's happened during your holiday celebrations this or any year.

Today in History:
1776 Washington crossed Delaware River and defeated 1,400 Hessian hired soldiers in a surprise attack
1868 Despite opposition President A Johnson granted unconditional pardon to all involved in the US Civil War
1914 Unofficial "Christmas Truce," British and German soldiers came out of WWI trenches and played soccer
1958 The Chipmunk Song became the only Christmas song in US history to be Number #1 on Christmas Day
2010 First Christmas snowfall in 128 years in Atlanta, Georgia; over 500 flights affected

Today’s Word:
furze [furz] noun
"evergreen shrub," O.E. fyrs, any spiny shrub of the genus Ulex, of the legume family, native to the Old World, especially U. europaeus,
having rudimentary leaves and yellow flowers and growing in otherwise infertile and sandy soil

Today Is:
Christmas Day
Pumpkin Pie Day

Today's Picture:
I took this picture last year of a Christmas tree on Mud Island near downtown Memphis at dusk.

Merry Christmas to all!
Merry Christmas BJ and all our friends!

Last edited by SATX56; 12-24-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 09:29 PM

11,430 posts, read 9,364,725 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Good morning, afternoon or evening. Kobber asked me to fill in for her today as she won't be available to post.

Just so you know, today's QotD came wrapped in Spider Man Christmas wrapping paper. That is kind of a family joke from one year when we somehow wound up with a Spider Man wrap. It was red and looked Christmasy so someone put it in the cart with all the others. Then we got home: Spider Man? Who picked this one? Maybe it was Spidey himself! But it brings us to . . .

Today's Question:

N/A

Quote:
Bonus Question:
Quote:
I'll be spending today alone.

Quote:
Me, myself, and I.

Maybe I need to expalin further ---
To me it's no different that spending any other off day alone. Today is just another day to me only it's a weekday that I don't have to go to work.
I hope this move to Baltimore will get me out more and meet new people. But I mainly moved here to be a little closer to work, get off that expensive toll road that I had to take everyday, and last but not least I fell in love with this very unique apartment I just moved to.

Quote:
Anyone working today?
I have a full day of work today as I need to clean out my old apartment.

Quote:
I'm happy I am here and not there anymore.

Quote:
Foodie Question:
The only thing I haved planned as far as that goes is a very yummy breakfast sandwich that I plan to make tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Outside of that sandwich I have no idea.

Enjoy!!!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,082,883 times
Today's Question:
Red/green plaid is the one I can think of off the top of my head ... I use gift bags but have a few rolls of wrap in case I need it. I bought them years ago so cannot recall the color/patterns.
I like most patterns ... Not picky.
I barely can get the darned gift wrapped so it's pretty basic. I try to stick on a small bow thingy but nothing extravagant.

Bonus Question:
I would like to spend the day with some friends but that's if I can walk on this twisted ankle ... I live upstairs and can barely get around my apt so not sure if I can navigate the stairs tomorrow. I hope I can go as I don't want to spend Christmas cooped up in here.
Friends if I'm able to go.
Anyone working today?
No, fortunately.
Glad

Foodie Question:
I have no clue
I'll throw caution in the wind ... Eating healthy is the least of my concerns right now.

Just for fun:
When I was 7 years old, I got this bike with training wheels for Christmas as I did not know how to ride a bike (still don't). Each time I rode it down the driveway, I would crash into the tree LOL! Comical, actually

Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,752,436 times
Quote:

Today's Question:
What are some of the patterns or pictures on your Christmas wrap? One roll has Christmas trees and snowmen on it and the other has red Christmas balls of various sizes..some with glitter and some without.

Which ones do you like best? Both

Do you use ribbons, bows and other knick-knacks, too? Yes Which ones? Bows

Bonus Question:
Who are you spending the day with or they with you? For the most part it will be just hubby and me until the kids stop by.

Any friends, neighbors, co-workers included or just family? Just family

Anyone working today? No

Foodie Question:
What are some of your snacks and meals going to consist of today? I am not cooking since my back/hip is still giving me a little problem and hubby has a cold so looks like we will order chinese take-out. We have some Christmas cookies and funky chunky chocolate covered pretzels that have caramel and pecans on them...someone gave this as a gift to hubby today while he was at work.

Are you watching what you eat or throwing caution to the wind for a day? Throwing caution to the wind.

Just for fun:
Please, tell us something fun, funny or just plain happy that's happened during your holiday celebrations this or any year. Happy times were when uncles,aunts and cousins would gather at my parents house and we would eat,drink,reminisce about the good old days,play games,dance and let the good times roll.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
furze [furz] noun

Today Is:
Christmas Day
Pumpkin Pie Day

Today's Picture:
I took this picture last year of a Christmas tree on Mud Island near downtown Memphis at dusk. Nice!

Merry Christmas to all!
Merry Christmas,bjh.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 PM

7,423 posts, read 5,530,629 times
Merry Christmas to everyone! May you have a healthy and blessed holiday!

Today's Question:
What are some of the patterns or pictures on your Christmas wrap? snowmen, santa, snow flakes

Which ones do you like best? all

Do you use ribbons, bows and other knick-knacks, too? Which ones? no, just name tags

Bonus Question:
Who are you spending the day with or they with you? my family

Any friends, neighbors, co-workers included or just family? just family

Anyone working today? no

Foodie Question:
What are some of your snacks and meals going to consist of today? too much to list!

Are you watching what you eat or throwing caution to the wind for a day? throwing caution to the wind.

Just for fun:
Please, tell us something fun, funny or just plain happy that's happened during your holiday celebrations this or any year. Nothing has happened so far, but it's early here.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,363,475 times
Hello, bjh, and Merry Christmas to you! Thanks for setting up the questions for those of us who are playing Santa tonight - gives us one final thing to play with before heading to bed.

Today's Question:

Oh, let's see. From my chair in the living room, I can see poinsettias, pine branches, snowflakes, snowmen, multiple variations on Santa Claus, and lots of tissue paper, both plain and patterned.

Any of them that have the gridlines printed on the backside to help the person cutting the paper keep the lines straight.

Most of the gifts have bows, and a few have chocolate Santas stuck under the ribbons.

Bonus Question:

Both our kids, the significant other of one kid, my sister and her two youngsters.

No, and that's quite unusual for us. We generally have at least one lost soul join us for the holiday meal, but it seemed that this year, everyone had a place to go.

Anyone working today?

Thankfully I am not. I've done that in my younger days, and I am deeply grateful that it is no longer necessary.

Foodie Question:

Breakfast will be a ham and Swiss cheese puff pastry creation we first tried at a bed and breakfast in Door County.

Mid-day nibbles will be bite-sized pieces of chicken wrapped in bacon and rolled in a combination of BBQ3000 dry rub and brown sugar, then baked for half an hour or so.

Dinner this year will be a crown roast of pork (had planned on standing rib roast but the farmer misheard the order and wrote down crown roast instead - it'll still be wonderful, so we're fine with it) along with stuffing, sweet and sour red cabbage, green beans, homemade bread, and a gingerbread trifle for dessert.

I always watch every bite that I eat, all the way to my mouth.

Just for fun:

We had a riotously good game of Balderdash this evening, and we all laughed ourselves silly!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,656,064 times
This Christmas got off to a rough start for my wife and I. We had to have our 13 year old peek a poo put to sleep yesterday morning. She's been in fairly bad shape and getting worse in the last few days. Wanted to try to wait until after Christmas but this morning we realized we couldn't put it off any longer. She went peacefully and the vet put her in a nice heavy cardboard "coffin" for us to bury her in our yard, which I did. In a nice spot where she always liked to lay in the shade. Keep my wife in your prayers. She's taking this pretty hard. Snowball was her mother's and her mother passed away 8 years ago so it's hitting her again.
I'll hush. This is supposed to be a cheerful time of year.
Merry Christmas to everyone!

Today's Question:
What are some of the patterns or pictures on your Christmas wrap? Couldn't tell you what patterns are on the paper. My wife didn't have to buy any. Still had quite a bit left from last year. And she's the one who wraps everything!

Do you use ribbons, bows and other knick-knacks, too? Which ones? Stick on bows

Bonus Question:
Who are you spending the day with or they with you? My oldest son, his wife and my 2 grandkids came Sunday afternoon for Christmas with us. Had a great time! Christmas day we're having 2 gatherings! In the morning will by my dad, brother, sister-in-law, aunt, cousin and girlfriend, and the two of us. Christmas afternoon will be my stepson, his wife, and their 2 teenagers.

Any friends, neighbors, co-workers included or just family? See above. lol

Anyone working today? Yup! My wife and I in the kitchen! lol

If so, are you glad or sad or indifferent about that? I'm retired from the state highway department and I am happy about that. We're on the edge on the area that is under a blizzard watch for Tuesday afternoon into wednesday morning. Across the Ohio River, some parts of southern Illinois is looking at a foot of snow. Our usual "big" snow is around 8". Since I'm retired it can snow up to the knee caps of a giraffe standing on his head and I won't care!

Foodie Question:
What are some of your snacks and meals going to consist of today? All three meals with family are country ham, eggs, biscuits, gravy and fruit. If all that country ham doesn't scare my cholesterol medicine off, nothing will!

Are you watching what you eat or throwing caution to the wind for a day? I watch it from the plate to my mouth.

Just for fun:
Please, tell us something fun, funny or just plain happy that's happened during your holiday celebrations this or any year. When my brother and I were young nobody could go to the room where the tree was until everybody was ready. My grandmother, aunt, and cousin would spend the night with us. Before my brother and I could see what Santa brought us we had to wait for my grandmother to go clean her dentures and my aunt to get a cup of coffee. that coffee took forever!!!!! lol

Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,033,464 times
Today's Question:
I have a little of this, some of that and quite a bit of whatever.

I like the heavier wrapping papper. It tends to not tear as much when wrapping odd shaped things.

Other than wrapping paper the only other thing I might use are those gift bags. I just put the present inside, fold the top over and tape shut. Theses work really well for smaller items.

Bonus Question:

The first two hours will be with a flight crew. Once the plane departs I am on my own.

Just co-workers at work.

Anyone working today?
I have to work from 11pm Christmas Eve to 3am Christmas Morning.

I am very glad. I will get very, very, very nicely paid for those 4 hours.

Foodie Question:
Contrary to what I said yesterday, I will be eating king crab for dinner. I went to the store for a couple last minute things and much to my surprise 4 pounds of jumbo red king crab followed me home.

Seeing how I have enough king crab to eat til I hurt I will be throwing caution to the wind.

Just for fun:

It was probably the Christmas I was 8. I woke my parents up to see if they had a different alarm clock I could use as my clock quit working at 3am. My mom looked at her clock and saw it was 3am. I had to make a hasty retreat to my bedroom.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 PM

39,140 posts, read 23,127,287 times
Today's Question:
What are some of the patterns or pictures on your Christmas wrap? I like snowflakes, snowmen and stripes in red and green color combinations.

Which ones do you like best? I tend to like the snowflakes since no two look alike.

Do you use ribbons, bows and other knick-knacks, too? Sure do. Which ones? Ribbons, bows and name tags.

Bonus Question:
Who are you spending the day with or they with you? I'll be going to one sister's house for mid-morning brunch, then in the afternoon I'll be going to the other sister's house for dinner.

Any friends, neighbors, co-workers included or just family? Just family.

Anyone working today? Not me!

If so, are you glad or sad or indifferent about that? Glad.

Foodie Question:
What are some of your snacks and meals going to consist of today? I think ham along with an egg casserole for brunch. For dinner at the other sister's house, we're having prime rib along with ham and bean soup. I'm sure there will be more than enough food at both places!

Are you watching what you eat or throwing caution to the wind for a day? Throwing caution to the wind, of course.

Just for fun:
Please, tell us something fun, funny or just plain happy that's happened during your holiday celebrations this or any year. Still too early for this year, but family gatherings have always been happy and festive, with lots of food and laughter. We might even watch a movie if we're so inclined.

Merry Christmas to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics