Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,497,105 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, 18th December, 2012. I’m sick of going to the dentist. That’s all.

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at?

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why?

Bonus Question:

What is or was your favourite Beatles song?

Just for fun:

Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today?

Today in History:

1719 Thomas Fleet publishes "Mother Goose's Melodies For Children"
1796 First U.S. newspaper to appear on Sunday (Baltimore Monitor)
1849 William Bond obtains first photograph of Moon through a telescope
1865 13th Amendment ratified, slavery abolished
1958 First voice from space: recorded Christmas message by Eisenhower
1961 Britain's EMI Records originally rejects the Beatles
1966 Dr. Seuss' "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" airs for first time on CBS

Today’s Word:

Whinge \ hwinj \ , verb;
1. To complain; whine.

Today Is:

Answer the Telephone Like Buddy The Elf Day
International Migrants Day
Find a Friend, Be a Friend Day
Wear a Plunger On Your Head Day
Play Bingo Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,999,882 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at?
Video Game....looking at land and sea...

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why?
7, 8 , 9 maybe...

Bonus Question:

Hard day's night or I want to hold your hand!

Just for fun:

Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today?

Today in History:

1966 Dr. Seuss' "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" airs for first time on CBS

Today’s Word:

Whinge \ hwinj \ , verb;
1. To complain; whine.

Today Is:

Play Bingo Day
Thanks Kobber!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:12 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,021,366 times
Today’s Question:

I do not think I have ever looked thru a telescope.

Extra Credit Question:

I have been to something like 42 or 43 of the states. Of the ones I have not been to I would like to see all of them.

Bonus Question:

Yesterday

Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 AM

27,398 posts, read 27,447,736 times
Ive been to and/or through probably all of them, as a long haul truck driver back in the day, but aside from a day or two for layover waiting for a load, Ive actually either lived in or visited, Calif, Wa, Ok, Tn, Ind, De, Pa, Az, Tx, Nev and I live in WI.Some places Ive actually visited twice or more.
Play bingo day~~~okay~
Happy Tuesday everyone~~

Old 12-18-2012, 04:11 AM
bjh

60,225 posts, read 30,496,718 times
Today’s Question:
I don't remember specifics of a last time. I do remember looking through telescopes as a kid.

We also had a pair of binoculars. I would go up on the roof and watch airplanes fly in, as well as looking at stars and the moon.

Extra Credit Question:
How many US States have you visited?
Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why?
I've narrowed the remaining 23 to the following:
CO - wouldn't mind seeing a bit of the Rockies
GA - always wanted to visit this beautiful southern state
NH - would like to go fishing at Lake Winnipesaukee

Bonus Question:
It's difficult to come up with a favourite. If I just have to choose: Twist and Shout!

Just for fun:
Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine).
What do you expect to whinge about today?
Oh, just this and that. Nothing major.

Today in History:

Today Is:
Play Bingo Day

I would ask if you're making these up. But have seen enough weird "holidays" to believe they're legit.

Last edited by bjh; 12-18-2012 at 04:26 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 AM

37,814 posts, read 41,116,416 times
Today’s Question:

Go over to your window. That's me at two o'clock. Wave!

But seriously, all I remember was it was on a date at an observatory in the Washington DC area and we went to look at some planet (can't remember which one) that was visible that night. It was sometime between 1969 - 1971 and there were telescopes set up all over the lawn. I remember thinking it was one of the best ideas for a date. I still do.

Extra Credit Question:

Visited 34 and the District of Columbia.

I would like to visit Alaska but since I don't fly anymore and it would be too long of a drive, realistically I'd pick Idaho or Montana for photography.

Bonus Question:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps or She Loves You. Ask me another day I might pick something else but I remember the excitement when She Loves You (right after I Want To Hold Your Hand) came out and I remember my dad bringing the 45 record home to me when he came home from work and that record sleeve. I think I was 12 or 13.

Just for fun:

If I go to the supermarket, the whinging may be about food I expected to purchase on the top shelf, and in the back of the shelf, in one of the freezer aisles.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,874,045 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at? It's been years, but I was looking at the night sky. Every August for the past seventy something years amateur telescope makers have a convention on one of the nearby hills.

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why? Oh, hmm. Those on the eastern coast. Some day I'd like to take a cross country road trip.

Bonus Question:

Too difficult to choose just one, so I'll say several of those mentioned above and Here Comes The Sun.

Just for fun:

I hope not to have anything to whinge about today. I will use this word with the kiddos though as I'm sure to hear some grumblings from them!

Off to school. Have a good day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 12-18-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,177,525 times
Today’s Question: Hi everybody.

~ Not sure. I love telescopes and have used them quite a lot. I used to guide the public in the observatory at night, telling them what they're looking at. Well, daytime we looked at sunspots.

Extra Credit Question:

~ I don't know and it's too early to sit and calculate. East and midwest U.S.A.

Bonus Question:

~ I don't know. I Am The Walrus?

Just for fun:

~ I shall whinge in the Publix supermarket, as they sucketh and I am going to buy a ham and a turkey.

*** Thank you Kobber Happythings to you all! ***

Last edited by rainroosty; 12-18-2012 at 04:37 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,566,083 times
Good Morning all! One week til Christmas...wow!

Today’s Question:

I under a court order not to speak of it

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why? All 50....most as a child, so I'm re-doing it as an adult.

Bonus Question:

What is or was your favourite Beatles song? Hey Jude

Just for fun:

Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today? I'll probably be whinging about people whining about not having their shopping done.

Today in History:

1966 Dr. Seuss' "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" airs for first time on CBS-I watched this last night!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,948,659 times
Good morning to all!

Today’s Question:

The lady across the alley... We went to a comet watching party that a local astronomy club set up letting attendees look through their equipment. Cool stuff!

Extra Credit Question:

I believe I am up to 39 states now. I always wanted to go to Alaska.

Bonus Question:

Birthday... I love the riff.

The Beatles-Birthday - YouTube

Just for fun:

The fact that I have too much work to do and I am off for Christmas starting tomorrow afternoon.

Today Is:

Play Bingo Day

Have a great day everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics