Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,556 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at? we were at the local university at the observatory for a "Star Party". They have the star parties weekly. We did star and constellation identification. COOL!

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why? I have been to all states except Hawaii.....and I hope to get there before I push up daisies.

Bonus Question:

What is or was your favourite Beatles song? Julia

Just for fun:

Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today? Posssible snow storm coming Wednesday night.

Today in History:

1719 Thomas Fleet publishes "Mother Goose's Melodies For Children"
1796 First U.S. newspaper to appear on Sunday (Baltimore Monitor) hope there was more good news in theirs than what's in ours these days.
1849 William Bond obtains first photograph of Moon through a telescope
1865 13th Amendment ratified, slavery abolished
1958 First voice from space: recorded Christmas message by Eisenhower
1961 Britain's EMI Records originally rejects the Beatles
1966 Dr. Seuss' "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" airs for first time on CBS clap clap

Today Is:
Answer the Telephone Like Buddy The Elf Day Buddy picks up telephone and says: " Elfo Elfo...this is Santa's helper Buddy"
International Migrants Day
Find a Friend, Be a Friend Day clap clap
Wear a Plunger On Your Head Day
Play Bingo Day

Thanks Kobber.....counting today, only 7 shopping days left until the big day. May today bring you all peace, rest and good tidings. Stay safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 AM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at? Hubby has one but it got knocked to the ground one day and it hasn't quite been the same since. I'm not sure when exactly I last looked through it. Maybe over a couple years ago.

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why? Rough count = 25. Most of the eastern side and bottom portions of the states out west to New Mexico.

Bonus Question:

What is or was your favourite Beatles song?
I loved The Beatles so it's really hard for me to pick just one.

Long and Winding Road, Hey Jude, Here Comes The Sun, Let It Be, Yesterday, In My Life, and, When I'm 64.

Just for fun:

Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today?
The postage stamps that I had out the other night. Now I can't seem to find them. Rggggh.

Last edited by cat1116; 12-18-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Good afternoon everybody from a dry, very cool, England.

Now then. The last time I looked down a telescope was in May last year. I was in Cyprus looking down at no mans land between the Turkish occupied side of Cyprus and the Greek side that I was on.

US states I have visited. I have been to New York City, Ohio, and Nevada.

My favourite Beatles track is 'Revolution' from the white album. I like the faster version released on the 'B' side of the single 'Hey Jude.'

Have a nice day everybody.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at?
I don't think I have ever looked through a telescope.

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why?
Just one. I've never been to Alaska. I'd like to take and Alaskan cruise.

Bonus Question:

"Long and Winding Road"

Just for fun:

Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today?
I'm getting a crown repaired on a tooth.

Today in History:

1796 First U.S. newspaper to appear on Sunday (Baltimore Monitor)
1966 Dr. Seuss' "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" airs for first time on CBS

Today’s Word:

Whinge \ hwinj \ , verb;
1. To complain; whine.
I love this word and I just got up and I'm already whinging.

Today Is:

Answer the Telephone Like Buddy The Elf Day
Find a Friend, Be a Friend Day
Play Bingo Day

Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,674 times
Mornin' all!

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at?

Maybe fall of 2003? I believe we were looking at Mars, or maybe it was Saturn or Jupiter. One of the planets was close to the earth at that time. Hubby (this was just before we got married) had a telescope, so we got it out in the cold and looked at the night sky.

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why?
Nearest I can figure is 17. After falling in love with the Canadian Maritimes, I'd like to see more of the north east.

Bonus Question:

Don't think I have a favorite. I like A Day in the Life, Across the Universe, Eleanor Rigby, and some of the early songs with harmonizing; All My Loving, Do You Want to Know a Secret. Oh yeah, and Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Just for fun:

Achy knees and shoulder, we're out of tomatoes, there's no Thai restaurant close by...I am blessed.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Whinge \ hwinj \ , verb;
1. To complain; whine.

Today Is:

Wear a Plunger On Your Head Day Okay! But only if it's new.
Play Bingo Day

Thanx for the Qs Kobber.
Have a good one everyone!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Today’s Question

I think in San Francisco at the Golden Gate Bridge looking at Alcatraz

Extra Credit Question:

maybe twenty-five or thirty. I would love to visit Hawaii for obvious reasons .

Bonus Question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ITrQXES8kU

Just for fun:

Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today? the dreary, cold and rainy weather here

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-18-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Today’s Question:
When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at? The last week of October. I was at a wildlife refuge about 20 miles from my home and went to watch the annual migration of thousands of sandhill cranes. There was a telescope in the observation tower.

Extra Credit Question:
How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why? Well, it's hard for me to count how many states I've been to. Some, I drove through en route to others, but didn't stop, so I don't know if those count! I've actually visited (stoped in) IN, IL, MI, WI, OH, PA, FL, LA, CA, WA, IA, MO, MN, TX, VT. Have driven through several others on the way to those named. I would truly love to see more states out west, such as CO, MT, WY, AZ, UT -- well, pretty much every state!

Bonus Question:
What is or was your favourite Beatles song? Tough choice, Kobber! One of my faves is Across The Universe.

Just for fun:
Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today? The fact that my work load at the office is so light that I have time to play on the Internet. I'd rather be way busy and feeling like I'm earning my paycheck.

Today’s Word:
Whinge \ hwinj \ , verb;
1. To complain; whine.

Today Is:
Answer the Telephone Like Buddy The Elf Day Haha - I have no idea who Buddy the Elf is!
Find a Friend, Be a Friend Day I love making new friends and cultivating old friendships.

Play Bingo Day I haven't played Bingo in years. It's really popular in some churches and clubs in this area, and the money prizes are huge!

Have an excellent day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-18-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at? I don't recall

Extra Credit Question:

I've been to Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Washington, Nevada and NY ... Oh YEAH CaliFUNia .... I've only passed through AZ.
7 states (8 if you count AZ) so 43 states have never experienced the Chatteress
I want to visit Illinois (Chicago) and Hawaii

Bonus Question:

What is or was your favourite Beatles song? (Ooops ... That's what happens when Chatteress reads too fast ... I overlooked "Beatles" ... Oh well ... I'm keeping my responses )
Sorry but not a Beatles fan nor am I familiar with their music .... Since I misread the question, I'll just keep my response below
I have so many favorite songs to count ... Some I can think of off the top of my head
Christmas song: Joy to the world
Secular: Believe (Cher), That's the way it is (Celine Dion), Good Times (Chic)
Christian: Worthy is the Lamb (Hillsong), Our God (Chris Tomlin)

Just for fun:

That I woke up with a slight headache and have to go out in the rain as I already made a commitment ... At least it is to fill out paperwork and get fingerprinted for a new part-time job. I just wish that I can get fingerprinted in the same location where HR is but I have to travel a bit ... At least they are paying for the prints so no whinge

Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 AM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Today’s Question:

About 5 years ago in San Francisco, checked out the Golden Gate Bridge, Mt Diablo and the local Bart station.

Extra Credit Question:

Have visited about 26, would like to visit MT, ID, AK and SD.

Bonus Question:

What is or was your favorite Beatles song?
I'm gonna follow cat116's lead and go with, ta da, Hey Jude, Here Comes The Sun, Let It Be, Yesterday, In My Life, and, When I'm 64.

Just for fun:

It's too early to tell, maybe Ill have a whinge after the MIL gets here.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,686 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you looked through a telescope, where were you, and what were you looking at? I don't recall when~where~why.

Extra Credit Question:

How many US States have you visited? Of those States you haven’t been to, which one do you most want to visit and why? Around 15 or so. I would like to go to Maine because I love their accents.

Bonus Question:

What is or was your favourite Beatles song? I'm not a big Beatles fan so I really don't have a favorite.

Just for fun:

Today’s word is ‘whinge’ (verb; to complain; whine). What do you expect to whinge about today? I've been at it already. Our 90 year old child (MIL) is being really difficult to deal with.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Whinge \ hwinj \ , verb;
1. To complain; whine. Seems like I'm doing more than my share lately.

Today Is:

Play Bingo Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics