Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 PM

44,401 posts, read 20,131,487 times

Advertisements

Happy weekend, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

FIX THAT SQUEAKY DOOR!

Aha! You probably think I'm going to recommend WD-40, don't you? Well, not
this time, kids. Here's an alternative lubricant for squeaky hinges that just
about everyone has in their kitchen. If you have door hinges that stick and/or
squeak, use a tiny bit of olive or vegetable oil to make that annoying sound go
away. It's the most environmenally friendly solution.

Start by putting a small amount of oil on a plate or in a tiny container. It's
easiest to oil the hinge by using a very small paintbrush, but you can use a
cloth if you don't have a small brush around. Dab the oil and just use a tiny
amount, working the oil into the hinge. Be careful not to let it drip or run down
the hinge or surface of the door. You'll be amazed at how well a very small
amount works.

My house is very old (98 years ), and many of the inside door hinges have
been painted like the one in the photo above. (Here's a bonus Tip for you - don't
do that!) I touched up the dry, squeaky hinges with a smidge of olive oil about
10 years ago and they are still squeak-free today. It works like a charm!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,979,264 times
I got this veggie oil idea a few years back. I think it was Pam spray I tried on a bathroom door. Something in that particular oil caused rusting. So follow Pam's Tips but don't use Pam.. Thanks Pam! Virgin or Extra Virgin??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I got this veggie oil idea a few years back. I think it was Pam spray I tried on a bathroom door. Something in that particular oil caused rusting. So follow Pam's Tips but don't use Pam.. Thanks Pam! Virgin or Extra Virgin??

Hahahaha. I'm not telling.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 PM

21,603 posts, read 8,772,923 times
Good tip, but sometimes there's a down side. Since our squeaky doors were oiled, they won't stay in one position any more. I think it's because the house has settled over the years and now the doors aren't level any more. I actually think I'd prefer the squeak!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Hahahaha. I'm not telling.

LOL! O.K.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good tip, but sometimes there's a down side. Since our squeaky doors were oiled, they won't stay in one position any more. I think it's because the house has settled over the years and now the doors aren't level any more. I actually think I'd prefer the squeak!
Yeah and there may be times when the squeak gives a little warning..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Oooooooooooooooops!

Perhaps a small weight at the top or bottom of the door in one corner would keep it from moving on its own.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 AM

......or you can get little flip down door stops for your doors. Remember the old slanted rubber wedges for doors that wouldn't stay put?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 AM

44,678 posts, read 61,796,128 times
For those small areas and hinges I use Q-tips to dip in the oil and then dab it on. This helps control where you put the oil and to keep any extra oil from running all over the place.
After oiling the hinges go back a few minutes later with a paper towel and wipe the bottom of the hinges just in case any extra oil works it's way down too far. This prevents the oil from dripping onto the floor and making a little mess or stain.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,098,209 times
I have some really squeeky parts on this body of mine....maybe I will try olive oil on those....or better yet, maybe bathe in olive oil. But where in the world do I find a huge bottle of olive oil?

Good tip Pam!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,260,892 times
Very good tip, Pam! Good to know since I would have gone straight for the WD-40 and always have plenty of extra virgin olive oil. Nitram's bonus tip using Q-tips would be the best way to apply the oil without making a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I have some really squeeky parts on this body of mine....maybe I will try olive oil on those....or better yet, maybe bathe in olive oil. But where in the world do I find a huge bottle of olive oil?
Olive oil is beneficial inside and out including bath oil, applied directly all over as moisturizer, damaged hair, lubricant for shaving and a link I just looked at includes: ....taking a sip of olive oil before heading to bed can help lubricate your throat muscles, cutting down on snoring. We won't tell if you drizzle some extra olive oil on Grandma's salad the next time she comes to visit!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics