Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 AM

16,676 posts, read 17,447,182 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers, and welcome to Good Friday.

Today and Monday are public holidays here in the UK.

Mrs J is on the other computer checking out her friends on TwitterBook or some such site, and is twittering away to me whilst I'm trying to think up the POTD!

Aha! Got it!

The POTD is;

Someone talking to you when you're trying to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 02:22 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,341,122 times
Good one, Jezer.

My mother does that to me all the time and it drives me crazy. Even when I ask her to hush for a few minutes to let me think about something she will say "FINE. I won't ever speak again." Uh huh.....I know that's gonna' happen.....not.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:46 AM

21,555 posts, read 8,736,124 times
You're playing my song, Jezer! When I am trying to concentrate on something but get interrupted by someone who wants to chit-chat, my train of thought goes right off the rails, and I can never seem to get it back.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 AM

16,676 posts, read 17,447,182 times
A shot of that schooner we kept seeing;

Old 03-29-2013, 05:03 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,254,073 times

That is most annoying when trying to figure something out. Your thoughts have just picked up the trail and you almost have the answer but someone keeps butting in and the answer evaporates.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,900 times

Well, it makes a change to people talking when they should be thinking..

Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,310,695 times
Great Peeve Jezer! This used to be such an issue for me, but I've found a way around it.

I have acquired the gift of "tuning out". I've been told I'm especially good at it.

When I get really deep into something, I am totally focused, so I don't hear or see anything else but what I'm reading/learning/hearing. If I didn't set "timers" I'd forget to eat, or tend to house chores, or do anything else that has to be done with the exception of Grace, who has her own personal antenna hardwired into my brain. Fortunately my farm folks get tended to on the same schedule as Grace, so there's no "tuning out" them. LOL

I can spend days on end studying something to the exclusion of nearly everything else, except for my timers. Those make sure I take care of business. LOL They are the one thing I do NOT tune out. But it's a system that works for me. So if you were to walk into my house, you'd see various projects in stages, and next to each one you will find a timer.

So now y'all know my secret. LL

Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,080,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers, and welcome to Good Friday.

Today and Monday are public holidays here in the UK.

Mrs J is on the other computer checking out her friends on TwitterBook or some such site, and is twittering away to me whilst I'm trying to think up the POTD!

Aha! Got it!

The POTD is;

Haha - Good one, Jezer - for those who live with others. I live alone, so don't have to deal with interruptions except the occasional meow from one of my cats. I will say, however, that when I'm trying to come up with a Tip late at night, Meggie often jumps on my lap for some cuddling and totally interrupts my train of thought. But I can't resist giving her some lovin' before I gently place her on the floor so I can get on with my composition!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,051,084 times
Good peeve, Jezer. It's especially frustrating in work situations when it's obvious we're in the middle of something and trying to concentrate. Usually I would ignore someone like that for a minute or so, then look up and say something like "oh, I'm sorry - were you saying something? I was concentrating on this contract and didn't realize you were talking"

Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM

24,486 posts, read 26,028,848 times

Or trying to accomplish some sort of task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics