Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 09:15 PM

12,343 posts, read 2,972,196 times

Advertisements

Have you ever rented a storage unit and what did you store?

Have you hired movers or moved yourself?

Have you moved somewhere and it didn't work out so you moved again?

What's the shortest amount of time you remember living somewhere when you weren't traveling?

What are the smallest and largest towns or cities you lived in?

Do you prefer small towns, cities, suburbs, the country side, something else?

Where did you go and what did you do so far this week?

Can you make a pretty good burger at home or would you rather go out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 11:02 PM

21,551 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Yes. When Mr. Bay and I got married and I moved into his tiny apartment, I stored all my things until we bought a house.
Yes, I've done both.
Yes, I once moved in with a roommate sight unseen, not knowing that she had three cats. She seldom changed the litter box, and the apartment stank to high heaven. I moved out after about three months.
What's the shortest amount of time you remember living somewhere when you weren't traveling?
See above.
Largest: New York City
Smallest: El Sobrante, CA

I'm a city girl.
Where I went: Italian restaurant
What I did: Laundry
I can make a decent burger, but I don't have a grill so would prefer to go out.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:25 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Thanks for subbing, PegE.

Never. It's a valid thing for those who need it, but for me I'd consider it a waste of money.
I've always moved myself or helped others move.
A residence? Yes, after a month because of the landlords, renting for cash and they were a pain.
A city? No.
Residence: a month.
A city: about a year.
Smallest was a town in upstate New York a long time ago.
Largest was DFW which is a colossal urban sprawl.
I prefer to live in a city.
I've gone to the drugstore and grocery stores, bank, post office and out to eat Sunday and Tuesday.

I've walked a a mile or more a day or done yard work which counts as exercise in my book. I've done laundry, shopping, food prep or pickup, paid bills, talked to the doctor's office, watched TV, read and used the internet.

I can make an okay burger. For the best burgers I recommend a steak house. They're starting with the best ingredients! Either way I'd rather go out, even if it's fast food.

Great questions!

Old 05-11-2022, 01:28 AM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
No
We usually rent a U-haul and do it ourselves
Long ago
A year
Smallest-Norwich, Connecticut when my Dad was in the Coast Guard

The largest cities I lived in were Miami, Florida and Baltimore, Maryland

I think I would like living in then country or a small town, but except for Norwich (which I was four and five years old when I lived there, and don't really remember all that much about it.) I have always lived in the suburbs of a city.

Same old, same old...
I like hamburgers made at home the best.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:32 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Have you ever rented a storage unit and what did you store? No.

Have you hired movers or moved yourself? Both.

Have you moved somewhere and it didn't work out so you moved again? No.

What's the shortest amount of time you remember living somewhere when you weren't traveling? 3 yrs.

What are the smallest and largest towns or cities you lived in? Los Angeles and ?

Do you prefer small towns, cities, suburbs, the country side, something else? Preference as far away from city as possible. In reality it's the suburbs.

Where did you go and what did you do so far this week? Doctors, grocers, drugstore, restaurant, barber, bathroom.

Can you make a pretty good burger at home or would you rather go out? Spouse makes a great one, occasionally we go out on a whim just to get out.

Rate this post positively

Old 05-11-2022, 02:42 AM

3,076 posts, read 1,683,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Have you ever rented a storage unit and what did you store? Nope, never have.

Have you hired movers or moved yourself? Nope, did it ourselves. But, let me tell me, while moving into our current home, it began to feel like we were headed for divorce.

Have you moved somewhere and it didn't work out so you moved again? YES!

What's the shortest amount of time you remember living somewhere when you weren't traveling? Under a month, in Corpus Christi, TX. Middle of summer - couldn't stand it!

What are the smallest and largest towns or cities you lived in? Largest was Austin. Smallest is the town I grew up in (Central Calif).

Do you prefer small towns, cities, suburbs, the country side, something else? I do like being close to a big city, though.

Where did you go and what did you do so far this week? Cataract surgery in one eye.
And the weather hasn't been good enough to be outside. So.... pretty uneventful.

Can you make a pretty good burger at home or would you rather go out? Prefer to eat them elsewhere but, yes, I enjoy the occasional ones from the grill
Thanks, PegE!

Old 05-11-2022, 03:25 AM

1,373 posts, read 615,857 times
Good morning,

Have you ever rented a storage unit and what did you store? ……………….Soon. Some furniture.

Have you hired movers or moved yourself?………….no.

Have you moved somewhere and it didn't work out so you moved again?………….no

What's the shortest amount of time you remember living somewhere when you weren't traveling?……………..Homestead, FL

What are the smallest and largest towns or cities you lived in? ……………..largest cities: NY Metro Area. Smallest: Upstate NY

Do you prefer small towns, cities, suburbs, the country side, something else?………….Anywhere I hang my hat is fine.

Where did you go and what did you do so far this week?…………….Far. Visit family.

Can you make a pretty good burger at home or would you rather go out?………..I make a good burger. But can go either way depending on the lazy factor.

Enjoy your day!

Old 05-11-2022, 04:07 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Have you ever rented a storage unit and what did you store? - Yes, sort of explained below. Various living stuff before downsizing.

Have you hired movers or moved yourself? - Both. Can't see ever not hiring movers now that I'm older.

Have you moved somewhere and it didn't work out so you moved again? - Yes, it happened twice in a row in 1991. Lived in 3 places from January - June. The stories how that happened would take me too long. The 3rd time was the charm, stayed there almost 10 years. The latter was also the 2nd best time period in my life, but a distant 2nd to the 1970s.

Oh, just thought of another- it was right when I moved out of my parents house. I was desperate and it had to be immediate. I only stayed 4 months then moved into a much bigger place.

What's the shortest amount of time you remember living somewhere when you weren't traveling? - Regarding the above, one was 4 months, the other, 2 months.

What are the smallest and largest towns or cities you lived in? - Largest in now, population is just under 600,000. Smallest, IDK. Nothing too small. I only lived in cities with population.

Do you prefer small towns, cities, suburbs, the country side, something else? - Never experienced anything but cities. Definitely open to it should the opportunity arise.

Where did you go and what did you do so far this week? - Doctors appointment yesterday. Aging sucks.

I've been increasing my brisk walk time lately and I hope to keep that up. Doing it as long as I am able.

Can you make a pretty good burger at home or would you rather go out? - N/A on the burger. I'd rather eat at home, fixing my own meals.

Thanks a bunch for filling in!

Old 05-11-2022, 04:34 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
Never.
Never hired movers.
Yes. One time.
One month (see above). I moved to London UK and I didn't like it so I moved to a smaller city, same country.
LA = largest and Hasel/Germany (in Black Forest region)= smallest.
Small towns and the countryside.
“I’ve been doing absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it would be.”...from the movie Office Space...ha ha.

Yes I can. I invented a vegetarian burger and it's delicious.

Thanks. I liked the questions. Have a lovely day.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:30 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,486,812 times
Have you ever rented a storage unit and what did you store? No

Have you hired movers or moved yourself? Moved ourselves

Have you moved somewhere and it didn't work out so you moved again? No

What's the shortest amount of time you remember living somewhere when you weren't traveling? One year

What are the smallest and largest towns or cities you lived in? Where I live now is about 10,000 people. I have lived in a couple big cities but I don’t know what the population was at that time.

Do you prefer small towns, cities, suburbs, the country side, something else? I like my small town.

Where did you go and what did you do so far this week? I haven’t done much this week but Friday I’m taking my Mom to where my sister lives and we’re going to lunch and go shopping as a late Mothers Day thing.

Can you make a pretty good burger at home or would you rather go out? I can make a good burger at home but I prefer to go out for one, they taste better for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics