Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 AM

21,667 posts, read 8,812,652 times

Advertisements

Good morning, fellow peevers! Today I opened my Word program to write the Question of the Day and this peeve, only to be greeted by a pop-up screen which announced that new updates were available, and would I like to download them now? Everything screeched to a halt while I closed every open application on my computer, then waited several minutes for the update to do its thing. Does this annoy you as much as it does me? Why couldn't they have gotten all the bugs out of the program before they released it? It's today's peeve: Repeated (and seemingly unnecessary) software updates that interrupt you at the most inconvenient times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 AM

34,295 posts, read 20,605,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good morning, fellow peevers! Today I opened my Word program to write the Question of the Day and this peeve, only to be greeted by a pop-up screen which announced that new updates were available, and would I like to download them now? Everything screeched to a halt while I closed every open application on my computer, then waited several minutes for the update to do its thing. Does this annoy you as much as it does me? Why couldn't they have gotten all the bugs out of the program before they released it? It's today's peeve: Repeated (and seemingly unnecessary) software updates that interrupt you at the most inconvenient times.
I have the same peeve. My computer does this all the time. It will even update itself after me saying NO for 30 days.

And sometimes the updates screw everything else up. With iCloud, it updates all the other gadgets too. Good peeve. But I am too skeert to turn it off!!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,084,483 times
Yes! I'd like a pop up blaster! Good morning everyone! CD is deader than hell!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:21 AM

44,713 posts, read 61,938,081 times
I usually click on the 'remind me later' box and take care of it later. If updates come up as soon as I open the puter in the AM then I click on it to do it's thing, then shut it down and reboot as they say.
I use to be annoyed by the "you got mail" pop-up, but that's been eliminated now.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 AM

30,777 posts, read 16,409,882 times
My puter doesn't do up-dates. I think because I'm on dial-up. It starts but at some point says it can't finish.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 AM

401 posts, read 480,853 times
Mine does updates though it'll give me the option to install them when I shut down the computer which isn't a problem. I think my problem with Windows 8 is it tries to be too intuitive. This causes it to do stuff I don't want or never intended for it to do like suddenly highlight stuff to copy it. Other times, I apparently will unknowingly hit one of the hot keys and, it'll kick me out of a program.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 AM

36,516 posts, read 16,110,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I usually click on the 'remind me later' box and take care of it later. If updates come up as soon as I open the puter in the AM then I click on it to do it's thing, then shut it down and reboot as they say.
I use to be annoyed by the "you got mail" pop-up, but that's been eliminated now.
I do this too and always to automatic updates in the middle of the night

Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,403,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Yeah, my Mac keeps having this "software update/App Store" announcement every 10 days-2 weeks,
and I have to click on it (open it) in order to make it go away (by closing it again ASAP).
Same happens with Flash or browser updates, I dismiss them until a later date.
I only bother with the updates when not in middle of doing something important.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,699,698 times

just got a message in two days my putser will update.

Don't get a whole lot of pop ups lately....maybe cuz i threatened them. LOL

have a good day....

great job bay.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,213,351 times
yup, those are a pitn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics