Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:23 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times

Advertisements

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Todays question fits in since many of us will be going somewhere or having folks come over to eat.

Will you eat or at least try something you don't like at these meals just to be polite ?

Being the "selective" (sounds so much nicer than picky) eater that I am, I would have to answer no.

My plate is very happy with just turkey, mashed potato's and a roll on it, thank you

For those other "selective" eaters out there here is Part 2 of todays question:
How do you deal with the "just try it" folks

Today in history
November 22, 2007 : for the 50th year in a row Karla will not be trying the "but you will like mine" green bean casserole

Last edited by FLPL75; 11-22-2007 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: oops forgot the today in history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 05:30 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
Since my son and I are doing most of the cooking this morning, I will not be
faced with this problem. However, I would try anything that my son (Chef) does
cook. I enjoy asking him questions about his preparation. Chefs do enjoy
talking and explaning about foods. At family gatherings, I never force people to
try my dishes. People have a way of letting me know just what they think!
It's mainly about knowing your company / family and wanting to make them all
happy and the event pleasurable.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
People have a way of letting me know just what they think!
Boy is that ever the truth.
We are hosting, the sis-in-law suggested this brussels sprouts dish which was a turn-off to the husband and I and I gently told her so. She made a point of saying that we were the only ones not interested in eating it. Oh well, I think with green beans and a salad (and all the other Turkey Day stuff) we'll have plenty of vegies to eat *without* brussels sprouts; that is one of the reasons I decided to put the kibosh on 'em.
I'll eat anything, but I never much liked those things. It's too bad that one of the few things I don't like seems to be an extended family favorite, but I have backup from the husband.
Quote:
It's mainly about knowing your company / family and wanting to make them all
happy and the event pleasurable.
Yes, kitchen power struggles aside, that's what we *try* for, anyway.
One of the guys who will be eating with us is a vegetarian, and he is being so cool and mellow about the whole thing--there are plenty of sides and he won't go hungry, but more importantly, he sets such a good example, no sanctimonious attitude or anything.
While I usually am an adventurous eater, I don't like to mess around too much with the traditional Thanksgiving Day meal--but one family's tradition might sound horrid to another! It can be so tricky.
In the old days I would tell my kids to at least try stuff, but I would not dream of telling an adult to do that, no matter where I was.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:08 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
I am doing the cooking and I like everything I have on the menu so this won't apply to me today. But I am always willing to try new things at least once.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:21 AM

the one thing us "selective" eaters have tried to explain is "trust us we won't starve"

the funny thing is when I was single I actually dated 2 chefs lol talk about frustration

lol mystee it I only made what I liked it would be a very interesting meal

lol I have told folks hey that leaves more of the other stuff for you

Old 11-22-2007, 06:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
ROFLMAO! No, my plate will look much like Karla's. I am old enough to decide what I am going to eat. Fortunately, the folks who I will be with today are well aware of my selective eating habits.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:40 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
Well, I "selected" to be a vegetarian many, many years ago so no turkey or stuffing for me ... just bring on the veggies and pumpkin pie!
I am going to a "please bring a side dish" affair. Some dishes I won't touch since I know the homes that they were cooked in.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 AM

omg tet I am the same way at pot lucks

Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Just me and the kids this year Karla, we will be having only things we all like!

And do you know my kids love peas? We eat them at least 2x a week, so i wont have them today, LOL

Old 11-22-2007, 06:58 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
Well I don't like sweet potatoes and my brother's girlfriend is cooking. With my Mom's passing I didn't think I could get my Dad to go anywhere. But anyway my brother is already,"but you have to try this one, I don't like them either till I tried this one". Already the pressure is on to try a sweet potato casserole,

Have a great day everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics