Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Thursday
I trust everyone has returned from "running away" yesterday

I had so much fun in my "make believe" fantasy that sadly the windows never got washed well that and it rained.
I noticed that quite a few of you are "frequent window washers" so those that do it often cover for those of us that don't

I realized this morning that we are approaching our 1 year anniversary here on the "? 0' the Day"
I am going to have to do some research to see when I posted the first one.

So I was watching the local news and they had a story that was just "begging" to become

Today's Question:

Could you go 24 hours on without using "electronic technology" such as cellphone, computer and the TV ?
(because of folks having to work lets say it would be on a weekend )

Extra Credit Question:

Since we are all starting to get into the "Holiday Spirit"

What do you really really hope to get for Christmas, but will probably end up buying it for yourself, because no one thinks of this item as a "good gift" item?

Bonus Question:

What is the "stuff drop spot" in your house?
You know the one place that no matter how hard you try "stuff" seems to accumulate there ?

Today in History:
November 13, 1875 Harvard-Yale game is 1st college football contest with uniforms
November 13, 1913 1st modern elastic brassiere patented by Mary Phelps Jacob
November 13, 1927 - After seven years of construction and over $48 million, the Holland Tunnel, New York City’s connection to Jersey City, NJ, opened to traffic
November 13, 1952 False fingernails 1st sold

Word of the Day:
vox barbara
(VOKS BAHR-buhr-uh) noun
A barbarous word or phrase, especially applied to supposedly neo-Latin
terms that are neither Latin nor Greek.

Today is:
National Indian Pudding Day
and
National Actor's Day
it is also
World Kindness Day

Got some good feedback on the new addition so here it is again

Holy Cow I didn't know that:
An earthquake on Dec. 16, 1811 caused parts of the Mississippi River to flow backwards!
A person uses approximately fifty-seven sheets of toilet paper each day!
More money is spent on gardening than on any other hobby!- heck my husband could of told you that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Could you go 24 hours on without using "electronic technology" such as cellphone, computer and the TV ?

No.

What do you really really hope to get for Christmas, but will probably end up buying it for yourself, because no one thinks of this item as a "good gift" item?

My kids know that I want the same thing for all holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It's what I really really hope for and it's what I expect I'll get. A hug! Nothing they could ever buy me would be as valuable!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 AM

Woo hoo I have lots of time before I have to head out to school so I can answer
Today's Question:

I would have to plan a pretty major landscape project to keep me occupied

Then there would be shopping for plants for above mentioned project
I may just have to suggest to Mr Karla that we give it a try
He will be on vacation from Dec 13 till Jan 2 so it may be a possibility.

Extra Credit Question:

Well since my wanting new cookie sheets for my birthday got the "thats not a real gift response" I wonder what the reaction to wanting a few new garden tools(need a new shovel lol) will
also on the list are business cards how will folks know I am a Notary if I don't have these

Bonus Question:

You know the one place that no matter how hard you try "stuff" seems to accumulate there ?

Hands down this has to be the Breakfast bar in the kitchen
Right now there are 3 books, reading glasses,remotes (these are items the dogs love to "play with" so they are kept up high) a router drill bit
oh and I cleaned it off yesterday

Old 11-13-2008, 06:00 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Today's Question:

(because of folks having to work lets say it would be on a weekend ) Yes!! I'd go to the best TV in all the land....the beach and watch that!

Extra Credit Question:

A blender....I just want someone else to put out the $$ for a good one

Bonus Question:

You know the one place that no matter how hard you try "stuff" seems to accumulate there ? Yup..it's beside my recliner...and if you go to my mom and sister's their's is in the exact same spot!

World Kindness Day-I think this should be every day...wow now I sound like a beauty contestant..."I wish for world peace."
Got some good feedback on the new addition so here it is again

An earthquake on Dec. 16, 1811 caused parts of the Mississippi River to flow backwards!-This just explains so much!
A person uses approximately fifty-seven sheets of toilet paper each day! Now I have to count!
More money is spent on gardening than on any other hobby!- Karla must spend my share...I have a brown thumb!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:04 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Morning all-going w/o in this area in the winter???? Lord no!!!!

I would love nothing more than to go home for the holidays-but that's not going to happen.

Have a small wicker tray on the kitchen desk and that's for keys, sunglasses,pens.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times

Yes, that would be lovely from time to time. I could relax and read and play with DS without a blaring TV or the noise of the radio running all day long.

I don't really hope for a special gift for Christmas. I wish we could have a peaceful time but I know that the in-laws will be causing problems again As for buying my own gift - it would probably be season 2-5 of Six Feet Under.

Bonus Question:

Oh my, it's the two wicker drawers under the coffee table. Well I have problems with all drawers in the house. Only those in the kitchen stay organized.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:15 AM

lol I am going to add new kitchen towels to my list
I want to see the look this one gets

Old 11-13-2008, 06:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Yes I can.

I just want to see Sweden for Christmas.

Just inside my front door. Shoes, coats, hats, gloves, whatever...it lands right there.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Today's Question:
Easily! Would not bother me a bit. And maybe take about 5 million cell phones away from other people too if I could pry their ears off them for 5 seconds!

Quote:
Extra Credit Question:
Oh boy, a Santa question. Dear Santa Clause, I want a casio keyboards with full size keyboards. And I am willing to buy it for myself. Also, I want a large doggie bed for my GSD.

Quote:
Bonus Question:
You know the one place that no matter how hard you try "stuff" seems to accumulate there ? [/b]
That's easy. Our bar in the kitchen has become ground zero for chaos and crappola. It's disgusting. We barely have room to eat there!

Quote:
An earthquake on Dec. 16, 1811 caused parts of the Mississippi River to flow backwards!
Gee, teacher, you have a good memory! DOH! Did I say that out loud?
<That answer will earn me a "go to your room!">

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,727 times
Today's Question:

Yep. We are probably one of the few that rarely uses a cell phone. The only time it goes on is if we are taking a trip or I'm out and about during the day. Even with it on, it barely gets useed. No one calls it. It's shut off otherwise. It is very rarely turned on on a weekend.
We've gone without computers too. When we went to Vegas this past summer, the laptops stayed home. This is the 3rd year in a row they didn't go with. We don't pay for internent service in hotels. If it ain't free, we don't take them. We just went back to Wisconsin for a few days and the hotel wanted 9 bucks a day for internet. No thanks.

Extra Credit Question:

Hubby and I don't do gifts. If we want something, we just go buy it. Why wait? We sometimes do Secret Santa with my family just so we have one thing to open, but it doesn't happen every year. Shopping for gifts isn't much fun anymore. No one ever really needs anything. We aren't a "high tech, fancy gadgets" type of family. When we do give gifts with family, we make it a rule to not buy gift cards. You might as well just hand the person a 20 dollar bill or whatever the limit might be. I think gifts are overrated.

Bonus Question:

Don't really have one. With no kids, we don't have a lot of "stuff." Everything has a place and we just put it in it's "spot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics