Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:13 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,498,337 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, December 10th 2013. Ooops, I nearly forgot to do the questions – it was just one of those days that didn’t go according to plan… but not in a bad way!

Today’s Question:

Has your neck of the woods been caught up in that awful blizzard-y, snowy weather that I’ve been seeing on the TV news in the last couple of days? If yes, how did it affect you personally?

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street?

Forgotten to remove the bagged giblets in the Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey?

Got to the store check-out before realising you don’t have any money on you?

Lined up for hours to buy concert tickets?

Signed a petition

Bonus Question:

This question is courtesy of AlaskanMutt, and comes on the heels of cloven’s heating question yesterday:

Has your home heating system ever failed during a winter weekend? Did you place a weekend service call or tough it out til Monday to call the repairman?

Just for fun:

What did you, or will you, have for breakfast today?

Thought for the Day:

The nice thing about teamwork is that you always have others on your side. (Margaret Carty)

Today Is:

Dewey Decimal Day
Human Rights Day
Nobel Prize Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:18 AM

21,621 posts, read 8,785,389 times
Today’s Question:

Has your neck of the woods been caught up in that awful blizzard-y, snowy weather that I’ve been seeing on the TV news in the last couple of days? If yes, how did it affect you personally?
No, but it's been much colder than normal here with nighttime lows near freezing.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street?
Not in this century!
No, I've lucked out so far. I usually don't get whole birds anyway.
Yes, it was very embarrassing. I wasn't carrying cash because I thought I had mt ATM card. Luckily I was shopping with a friend who bought my groceries with her ATM card. I paid her back later. Then, at the same store, her card got rejected, so I bought her groceries with my card.
No, I've lined up to buy tickets, but not for hours.
Signed a petition
Yes, I signed a petition to top the City from cutting down non-native trees in City parks. I live across the street from one of those parks, and I want my trees to stay.

Bonus Question:

This question is courtesy of AlaskanMutt, and comes on the heels of cloven’s heating question yesterday:

Has your home heating system ever failed during a winter weekend? Did you place a weekend service call or tough it out til Monday to call the repairman?
YES!!! It was our first New Year's Eve as a married couple in the house. Around 11 o'clock that night, it started to gt chilly. DH checked the furnace and discovered that the pilot light had gone out. We tried the furnace repair number but got only a recording. DH said he was going to get some extra blankets, but I said No way. I'm checking into a motel, and you're welcome to come with me. (He did.) The next day we returned to a very chilly house and DH figured out a way to restart the furnace until the repair guy finally arrived on January 2.

Just for fun:

I had Cheerios with sliced bananas and low-fat milk, low-sodium V-8 juice and decaf coffee with milk.

Thanks, Kobber!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 12-10-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 01:24 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,022,225 times
Default Today’s Questions – Tuesday, December 10th 2013
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, December 10th 2013. Ooops, I nearly forgot to do the questions – it was just one of those days that didn’t go according to plan… but not in a bad way!

Today’s Question:

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street?

Signed a petition

Bonus Question:

Just for fun:

I had a burrito a while ago...
Thought for the Day:

The nice thing about teamwork is that you always have others on your side. (Margaret Carty)

Today Is:

Dewey Decimal Day
Human Rights Day
Nobel Prize Day
Thanks Kobber!

Old 12-10-2013, 02:22 AM

62,069 posts, read 87,781,978 times

Today’s Question:

Nah... just little chilly, no blizzard, or snow, or wind or anything. No road closures and I LOVE THAT WEATHER!!!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street?

Probably. Not sure if I was completely sober at that time

No. I don't cook Turkey, but I didn't forgot it in my duck or goose, because I stuff them , so I would see

I think that happen once in my life. When I left my wallet in the car, in a parking lot.

Not that I remember.

Signed a petition
Yes, many.

Bonus Question:

No, I have a fairly new unit and I service it twice a year. The service comes with a warranty that the unit will not fail. But in any case, it would be not a big deal. We do not have hard winters here.
Now if that would happen to the A/C... that's a different story

Just for fun:

Hmmm... I am thinking about something warm. Maybe eggs?

Thought for the Day:

I am not very good in a team work. I prefer to do it myself, and blame myself if there is a problem. Otherwise, people would just point at each other. This, or I delegate the entire project

Today Is:

Dewey Decimal Day
Human Rights Day
Nobel Prize Day

Have a great Tuesday!!!

Last edited by elnina; 12-10-2013 at 02:35 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 02:27 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,023,683 times
Today’s Question:

Not much snow here. A couple days ago we got a dusting. Might get another dusting today. However with 41 Alaskan and 7 Montanan winters under my belt I do know a thing or two about sitting out blizzards.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street? Nope

Forgotten to remove the bagged giblets in the Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey? Nope

Got to the store check-out before realising you don’t have any money on you? I plead the fifth

Lined up for hours to buy concert tickets? Not going to happen. I will buy the album and stay home before standing in line all day

Signed a petition Yet to see one worthy of my signature

Bonus Question:

This question is courtesy of AlaskanMutt, and comes on the heels of cloven’s heating question yesterday: I forgot all about this question. Glad you could use it.

Has happened a couple times. Since my place was loaded with southern exposure windows and it was only getting into the low 20's I toughed it out. Downstairs only got down to the low 40's Upstairs was closer to 50 at night.

Just for fun:

Will probably have some canned peaches. Maybe a ham and cheese sandwich.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 AM
bjh

60,243 posts, read 30,510,884 times
Today’s Question:
Had some icicles on the eaves and that's about it.

Extra Credit Question:
Have you ever –

Danced in the street?
Nope, sound like fun, if there's no traffic anyway

I've never cooked a whole turkey myself. The ones we've had all had the giblets
removed.

I did that once years ago. Went home, got my wallet, came back and paid for 'em.

Nope, only ever paid for tickets by phone before internet was around and since then online.

Signed a petition
Yes.

Bonus Question:

We had the power go out years ago after a winter storm. Nothing wrong with the furnace though.
I was fortunate to flag down a passing repair truck, and they fixed the problem. Very glad, as we'd been without heat for a day.

Just for fun:
Smoked turkey and cheddar sandwich

Thanks, Kobber

Last edited by bjh; 12-10-2013 at 02:55 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 AM

37,819 posts, read 41,130,318 times
Today’s Question:

We have had rain probably 12 out of 14 days. It has been dark/gloomy. I have cabin fever.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street?

Maybe. When I was a kid we used to have block parties where everyone who lived on the block closed off the street to traffic and we had a ton of food. There may have been dancing. I don't recall.

yes

no

no

Signed a petition

yes

Bonus Question:

Well, when we lost power in MD due to the power company not trimming the trees, no heat. That was for days. I was worried they were going to find everyone in my apartment complex, that didn't check in at a motel, dead.

Just for fun:

Nothing. I have a 9:30 doctor appt.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:06 AM

30,709 posts, read 16,352,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Today’s Question:

just the edge. ice melted by 10 AM or so.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street?
nope

nope

yes

no!

Signed a petition
yes

Bonus Question:

a few times over the years. Always made a service call. I have a severe allergy to frozen water pipes.

Just for fun:

left over chicken salad.

Thought for the Day:

or someone else to blame.

Today Is:

Dewey Decimal Day
Human Rights Day
Nobel Prize Day
Thanks, Kobber.
Hoping everyone's surprises are pleasant.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,874,446 times
Today’s Question:

Has your neck of the woods been caught up in that awful blizzard-y, snowy weather that I’ve been seeing on the TV news in the last couple of days? If yes, how did it affect you personally? We had snow & sleet yesterday, but nothing like what was expected.... Full day of school & not much slipping or sliding around on the roads. Most people were considerate & slowing down a little.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street? Have!

Forgotten to remove the bagged giblets in the Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey? Ha! Have. My daughter did this on Thanksgiving.

Got to the store check-out before realising you don’t have any money on you? Haven't

Lined up for hours to buy concert tickets? No, even though I go to many concerts.

Signed a petition Sure

Bonus Question:

Has your home heating system ever failed during a winter weekend? Did you place a weekend service call or tough it out til Monday to call the repairman? Ran out of gas one weekend. I called the company & they sent someone out. If I hadn't there'd be more of a problem with frozen pipes!

Just for fun:

Oatmeal with craisons.

Thought for the Day:

The nice thing about teamwork is that you always have others on your side. (Margaret Carty) True.

Happy day, all!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:09 AM

36,487 posts, read 16,085,270 times
Today’s Question:

Just some freezing rain, did not affect the roads, good for us.
Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Danced in the street? Yes there were street dances, where I use to live

Forgotten to remove the bagged giblets in the Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey? No, eww.

Yes but had a card
No
Signed a petition

Bonus Question:

Thank goodness, that has never happened

Just for fun:

What did you, or will you, have for breakfast today? Nothing, but coffee, having an early lunch today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics