Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,040,043 times

Advertisements

Every year I pick two things -- one spiritual, one practical -- to concentrate on and improve.
Over the decades sometimes I've gone back to issues to refocus on.

Some years it's been as simple as reading more -- or trying to be more positive and thoughtful in general. One year a work goal was focusing on staying on my game and not letting others distract me from what I needed to do.

This year for me, spiritually, it's growing in faith. And on the practical side it's tackling debt and procrastination/organization.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 PM

34,311 posts, read 20,607,731 times
I need to work on patience.

And spend some time meditating and praying. I am rush, rush, rush, all the time it seems.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM

44,426 posts, read 20,192,118 times
Good ideas, rdflk and redbird. I need to give this some serious thought. I have so many things that need fixing, it's hard to narrow them down to only two!

I am presently undergoing lessons in patience and humility as a result of my serious foot surgery in November and more to come in about two months. I've been very independent my entire adult life, and now I am having to accept help from others. The whole process with my surgeries and healing will take about 6.5 months and I'm almost 6 weeks into it. I pray for patience each day.

I think one of my new resolutions for 2014 will be to finally haul everything out of my spare bedroom, sort and reorganize everything, give away what I can't use and throw away what is unusable. It will be an enormous task, and I'll have to wait till June, after I can walk properly again, to start on it. Wish me luck!

On the spiritual side, I can always use a brush-up on that as well. My prayer and meditation time is daily, but erratic. I need to get back on a regular track and to work harder at making that time a priority over everything else.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 PM

PJ -- hey some things just have to be tackled one day at a time....I've been thinking about decluttering for years!

I'm usually pretty good at when I really want to do something, and it bothers me bad enough -- I eventually get to it. On one hand the clutter bothers me a bit -- but clearly not enough to really do something about it. And that's OK too.

If I'm healthy, my family is healthy, we're all employed, and I make it home every night after driving on highways and going out in the crazy world, etc -- well, decluttering is on the list, but I'm not going to hate myself if I don't get to it either.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:05 PM

21,674 posts, read 8,817,130 times
On the practical side, I need to do some home improvements. I'm like Pam, the list is so long I wouldn't know where to start. New kitchen appliances, paint and carpeting would be just the beginning.

I'm not a spiritual person in the conventional religious sense, but also like Pam, I've had to learn patience and learn how to ask for help when I need it because my arm is in a cast. That's really difficult for me because I have always been self-reliant. That's how I hurt myself in the first place. I needed something from a high shelf, and didn't want to bother my husband.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
the list is so long I wouldn't know where to start. New kitchen appliances, paint and carpeting would be just the beginning.
Just have an overall plan.....tackled in order that makes the plan make sense. Taken a stop at a time it could be easier.

A co-worker put in granite countertops THEN decided he wanted new cabinets too. Really? BUT he was undecided about the cabs at the time he chose to go ahead with the counters. BETTER to WAIT 'til you know what you want -- unless the temp solution is fairly easy to UNdo (ad you know going in it's not the ultimate final product)...UNlike granite countertops!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 PM

21,674 posts, read 8,817,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Just have an overall plan.....tackled in order that makes the plan make sense. Taken a stop at a time it could be easier.

A co-worker put in granite countertops THEN decided he wanted new cabinets too. Really? BUT he was undecided about the cabs at the time he chose to go ahead with the counters. BETTER to WAIT 'til you know what you want -- unless the temp solution is fairly easy to UNdo (ad you know going in it's not the ultimate final product)...UNlike granite countertops!
Thanks for the advice, rdflk. I know exactly what needs to be done, I just don't know what type of countertop to pick, what type of sink and faucet I should get or what brand of appliances to buy. There are so many choices out there.

I don't want a full remodel, just an update. New cabinets would be nice, but I've had the cabinets refaced fairly recently so I'm not up for replacing them, not to mention that it costs a fortune. (One cabinet will probably need to be replaced or modified to allow for an over-the-stove microwave.)

I might hire a contractor who specializes in kitchens and who can help me make good decisions about the appliances, sink and countertop.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,351,364 times
Well, I do HAVE to lose a little weight ~ that's doctor's orders. That was 1-1/2 months ago and I've managed to shed 2 pounds through the Christmas season. I think that's good.

Also need to work on finding ways to accept my job better and deal with the issues.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:36 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,854,953 times
The last six months have been full of chaos and change. Now I have to make another career change. I think I'll just take one day at a time other wise it could be over whelming.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:44 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,283,703 times
I need to work on implementing a budget and actually sticking to it as my income goes down about 30% this year.
I'm not a spiritual person so nothing spiritual but I do need to work on my overwhelming urge to argue and fight with certain people all the time.
Lastly, I need to focus a bit more on my family back home - funny how it takes a crisis to realise how much family means to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics