Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times

Advertisements

[I'm having PC problems tonight and can't post an image. ]

Hi from snowy NW Indiana, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

READ THE LABELS!

I think I wrote about reading food labels in the distant past, but it's time to post a reminder. This came to mind today as I was reading the latest Nutrition Action Newsletter. I think most people know that one of the worst ingredients in most prepackaged foods is sodium. It's a killer!

Something some folks don't consider when they read nutrition labels on packages, though, is the serving size. Want to eat a can of Campbell's soup? When you read that a serving has, say, 760 mg of sodium, keep in mind that if you eat the whole can you'll be doubling that sodium intake, since there are two servings in each can. Choose Campbell's (or another brand's) low sodium versions instead.

Here's another example of a frozen entrée with shocking nutrition stats. The label on a Stouffer's Satisfying Servings (16 oz.) White Meat Chicken Pot Pie states a serving has 590 calories, 13 grams of saturated fat and 930 mg of sodium. Bad enough, right? However, look at the label more closely and you'll see that those stats are for half of the pot pie, not the whole thing. So if you consume the whole pot pie, you'll end up ingesting 1180 calories, 26 grams of saturated fat and 1860 mg of sodium.

You might want to keep the phone handy to dial 911 when you eat prepackaged foods like these from your supermarket. Better yet, read labels carefully and choose foods with lower sodium, fats, carbs and sugars. There are some more healthful choices out there.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-21-2014 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Good tip, Pam.

I do pay attention to the ingredients because I have HBP and I have to pay attention to my salt intake.

I love V8 Juice. I switched to the low sodium kind several years ago. I really missed the salt for several months but now I like the low sodium V8 as much now as I used to love the old product.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
I'm terrible. I keep a salt shaker next to me and throw some on at every meal. And I don't read the labels. Somebody help me, please!

BTW, great tip Pam...

Old 01-21-2014, 09:56 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
[I'm having PC problems tonight and can't post an image. ]

Hi from snowy NW Indiana, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

READ THE LABELS!

I think I wrote about reading food labels in the distant past, but it's time to post a reminder. This came to mind today as I was reading the latest Nutrition Action Newsletter. I think most people know that one of the worst ingredients in most prepackaged foods is sodium. It's a killer!

Something some folks don't consider when they read nutrition labels on packages, though, is the serving size. Want to eat a can of Campbell's soup? When you read that a serving has, say, 760 mg of sodium, keep in mind that if you eat the whole can you'll be doubling that sodium intake, since there are two servings in each can. Choose Campbell's (or another brand's) low sodium versions instead.

Here's another example of a frozen entrée with shocking nutrition stats. The label on a Stouffer's Satisfying Servings (16 oz.) White Meat Chicken Pot Pie states a serving has 590 calories, 13 grams of saturated fat and 930 mg of sodium. Bad enough, right? However, look at the label more closely and you'll see that those stats are for half of the pot pie, not the whole thing. So if you consume the whole pot pie, you'll end up ingesting 1180 calories, 26 grams of saturated fat and 1860 mg of sodium.

You might want to keep the phone handy to dial 911 when you eat prepackaged foods like these from your supermarket. Better yet, read labels carefully and choose foods with lower sodium, fats, carbs and sugars. There are some more healthful choices out there.

You really need your attorney to be with you to read the labels and understand just what the company is trying to tell you.

Stay safe and warm everyone!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Yes! Take a magnifying glass with you when you shop. You'll need one to read the microscopic print. Thanks Pam!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Try a crash course to learn how to properly read labels and change your entire lifestyle and eating habits and the way you cook everything because your husband has been diagnosed with diabetes and you have 14 days to get his blood sugar number down to 110 from 310.

Thank you for the tips they are a good reminder for those times one (me) wants to get lazy at the grocery.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
That's why I cooked from scratch almost every day for over twenty five years. Fresh is best.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 PM

72,412 posts, read 18,199,776 times
Most of the time I pay attention to the labels. For some reason the frozen packages have so much sodium that I just keep away from so scary!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Pam, you're playing my song! Deceptive food labeling is one of my biggest all-time peeves. I also subscribe to Nutrition Action Newsletter and have learned to read labels with a skeptical eye when I'm shopping.

Some foods that advertise themselves as low-fat or light will actually have more sodium or calories than the original version. Other foods will put ridiculously small serving sizes on the label. Come on, who eats half a cup of breakfast cereal? I've actually measured my cereal to get a more realistic idea of how much a serving is. Most people vastly underestimate what a portion size looks like, and deceptive food packaging is one reason why.

You also have to watch the sugar content, too. Since last month when I broke my arm and wasn't able to cook, DH and I have been eating a lot of Lean Cuisine-type entrees. One of them was quite tasty and seemed healthy enough until I checked the label. Sure, it's low in calories -- but each entree has a whopping 23 grams of sugar! That's equivalent to six sugar cubes or the sugar in a small (6.5 oz.) glass of chocolate milk.

Ketabcha, I also drink low-sodium V-8 juice. At first it didn't taste right, but like you I soon I came to prefer it to the regular version. I drink it for breakfast instead of orange juice because it has much fewer calories and sugar but has the same amount of Vitamin C.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:12 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
I've been drinking V-8 juice for decades. I like the added lemon. Low-sodium....I'd just add my own salt so I get the regular. Deceptive labeling and lack of point of origin info on all foods is my biggest peeve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics