Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times

Advertisements

Good morning all
My hubby says I will strike up a conversation with anyone, I tell him it is a "gift" he tells me "yeah right" and rolls his eyes
But seriously, I have actually met some of the most interesting people by utilizing this "gift"

So here is todays question for you to ponder

Do you enjoy striking up conversations with folks you don't know?
and any really interesting experiences ?

BTW I am talking about everyday situations, not parties or business functions where you sorta have to.

Today in history:
December 11, 1844 1st dental use of nitrous oxide, Hartford, Ct
I know all the "dentist weenies" here(me included) are so glad

Word of the day:
ponder (pän′dər)
transitive verb
to weigh mentally; think deeply about; consider carefully

Today is National Noodle Ring Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,752,834 times
Some conversations seem to go in your favor while others; I walk away.
Only yesterday at the liquor store, the owner and I were discussing Hurricane Katrina,
the dogs were let loose on I-95 so that people could get a hotel room for the night.
Here's where I got upset, he tried to cover it all up by saying it's okay and understandable... NOPE! IT'S NOT! My dogs ARE my family and I would never separate from my dogs. Not even for a bed and shower for the night! Geez, I was upset and walked out of the store. His theroy was; family first, huh?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:49 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,786 times
I am quite shy so I usually don't intiate conversations with strangers,but will engage if they start one.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:28 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Yes I'll talk to anyone. I always talk to the people I'm standing in line with at the check out then I talk to the checker, I like to try to cheer them up because seem to be in a bad mood.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
I'm usually a shy person, but I do have an interesting story about "striking up a conversation". In early 1986, a friend of mine and I went into a bar. We sat at the bar and both of us ordered a beer. They had DJ music playing and we were checking out two gals that were sitting together at a table and contemplating asking one, or both of them to dance with us. Another guy sat next to me at the bar and he was trying to start a conversation, just basic small talk, but to my surprise, a couple of minutes later, he asked me if I wanted to dance with him! I wasn't sure about what he had said because the music was playing and I barely heard him, so I said "Excuse me?", and he repeated his invitation to dance. I looked at him in disgust and I told him politely that I'd rather dance with one of the two gals sitting at the table a few feet away. He then indicated to me that the place was a gay establishment! At that instant, I tapped on my friend's shoulder and I told him "Let's get the hell out of here, this is a gay bar". We left both beer glasses half full and I can tell you that I've never run out of a place so fast! Apparently, there was a sign at the entrance, which we didn't see for some reason, it indicated that the establishment caters to gays. I was also hoping nobody I knew drove by and saw my friend and I walking out of a gay bar and got the wrong idea!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,527 times
Was on the metro last night seated next to a college student reading a paper about stock market psychology... I read it out of the corner of my eye and then said to her, "hey, I can't help but notice you're reading about so-and-so" and we talked.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I'm usually a shy person, but I do have an interesting story about "striking up a conversation". In early 1986, a friend of mine and I went into a bar. We sat at the bar and both of us ordered a beer. They had DJ music playing and we were checking out two gals that were sitting together at a table and contemplating asking one, or both of them to dance with us. Another guy sat next to me at the bar and he was trying to start a conversation, just basic small talk, but to my surprise, a couple of minutes later, he asked me if I wanted to dance with him! I wasn't sure about what he had said because the music was playing and I barely heard him, so I said "Excuse me?", and he repeated his invitation to dance. I looked at him in disgust and I told him politely that I'd rather dance with one of the two gals sitting at the table a few feet away. He then indicated to me that the place was a gay establishment! At that instant, I tapped on my friend's shoulder and I told him "Let's get the hell out of here, this is a gay bar". We left both beer glasses half full and I can tell you that I've never run out of a place so fast! Apparently, there was a sign at the entrance, which we didn't see for some reason, it indicated that the establishment caters to gays. I was also hoping nobody I knew drove by and saw my friend and I walking out of a gay bar and got the wrong idea!

OMG, stop it http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Of all people for this to happen to http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link) http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

You didn't see the sign? http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

LMAO http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Sorry Mike!! http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
I have always been a chatterbox. How are you supposed to make new friends if you don't talk to people?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
I will have to ponder this question for a little while, but not long. I will talk to just about anybody, anywhere, anytime, about anything respectable. My mother used to say I had never seen a stranger. It would not matter whether it is a beggar on the street or the president. I enjoy life to its fullest. I love people.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
omg mike I just spewed my diet pepsi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics