Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:14 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,409,567 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions: ~on the move~> Thursday, 02 October 2014 Today's Questions hopped on the bus, Gus. ---> 0Oo.[=.==.=[].]

Today's Moving Questions:
What's the furthest you've ridden a bus - where to where?
I've not ridden on many buses but my longest trip would probably be between Vina del Mar, Chile to Santiago (120 miles or so.)

How did you acquire your first car or other transport?
I pumped gas at a full-service Texaco station while in high school for $75/week. The car was a 1953 Chevy for $90.

If you're moving along a street parallel to railroad tracks, do you ever feel like you're racing a train?
(This is nothing to do with crossing tracks while a train is on them! Just driving alongside.)
I have do this just about every time I drive to Albuquerque on US 60/84 West. I never feel like I'm in a race though. The trains are usually moving too fast.

What do you do while sitting in a car and waiting to cross busy railroad tracks?
At the TX/NM border at Farwell/Texaco, I always think, "When are they ever going to build an under/overpass here?"

What funny or weird things have you seen or heard of people doing while waiting there or at stop lights?
How about while driving?
Putting on makeup, picking noses, fighting with the kids in the backseat, changing drivers (not on the road though). . .

Bonus Hossie Question: http://s15.rimg.info/8a7a1f12cdd0918...20f9645491.gif
Would you rather ride:
-a stagecoach in an old west movie?
-a horse drawn sleigh through snow on a farm?
-a carriage through a rainy park in a big city?
-horseback in a parade?
-on the Budweiser beer wagon pulled by Clydesdales?
-or
(please describe) other hossie powered transport?
I'd have to be inside of, or on, some sort of a horse-drawn conveyance. I don't fit well on horse backs.
Maybe a stagecoach. I've never been inside one while it was being pulled.

Foodie and Bevvie Questions: http://s4.rimg.info/cd064a425548740d...e4305c2071.gif
If you drink beer or rootbeer, what kinds? Any kind.

What prepackaged or box dinners have you tried?
(ex. Hamburger Helper, but there are others) Tuna Helper.

Do you eat or make salad sandwiches - like ham, chicken, or egg? Not usually.

What other salad or made-from-a-mix sammiches can you think of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,833,133 times
[quote=bjh;36716366]Today's Questions hopped on the bus, Gus. ---> 0Oo.[=.==.=[].]

From Queensland to Surfer's paradise in Australia.
I worked my but off cleaning schools.
If you're moving along a street parallel to railroad tracks, do you ever feel like you're racing a train? Sometimes I am racing a train to cross before it stops me. We live close to the tracks and I have to cross them every day when I go to work.
(This is nothing to do with crossing tracks while a train is on them! Just driving alongside.)

What do you do while sitting in a car and waiting to cross busy railroad tracks?
Listen to music.
What funny or weird things have you seen or heard of people doing while waiting there or at stop lights?
Picking their nose
How about while driving?
Damn cell phones.

Bonus Hossie Question:
Would you rather ride:
-a horse drawn sleigh through snow on a farm?<-------This would be fun.
-horseback in a parade?<----------This. I did this when I was a teenager.
-or
A hay ride through some spooky fields in October. It was fun

Foodie and Bevvie Questions:
If you drink beer or rootbeer, what kinds?
Beer Root beer is a once in a blue moon thing.
(ex. Hamburger Helper, but there are others)

Do you eat or make salad sandwiches - like ham, chicken, or egg?
Sometimes. I love a good samich.

Just for fun:
The September photo contests are open for a while today, if you want to peruse and/or vote.
Best photo:
//www.city-data.com/forum/photo...your-best.html
Theme photo - Romance:
//www.city-data.com/forum/photo...e-contest.html

Today in History:
1879 Birth of poet Wallace Stevens in Reading PA
1889 Last great silver boom of the American Old West in Colorado
1925 Scottish inventor John Logie Baird performed the first test of a working television system
1950 Cartoon strip "Peanuts" by Charles M. Schulz first published
1959 TV series "The Twilight Zone" premiered on CBS
1996 US Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments expanded FOIA of 1966. Finland had the first FOIA type laws in 1951.
--> Freedom of information laws by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today's Quote:
"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
~ Oprah Winfrey

Today’s Definition:
busman's holiday
a holiday or vacation in which someone performs the same work they usually do

Today Is:
Custodial Workers Day
Fried Scallops Day
Guardian Angels Day

This Week Includes:
Great American Beer Festival
Universal Children's Week
Walk Your Dog Week I did that last night.

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
Greyhound bus being loaded with baggage in Pittsburgh, PA in 1943.

US government photo, from Office of War Information, in public domain.

Here's hoping your Thursday doesn't come with a lot of baggage.

Thanks bjh. I had such a nice day at work yesterday. It was an 8 hour shift with the last 4 hours as resource. Sweet.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:40 AM

24,554 posts, read 26,111,018 times
Anaheim, CA to San Francisco round trip prior to I-5 being built.

Step Dad won it in a raffle for $3.00 and I had to pay him back the $3.00.

If you're moving along a street parallel to railroad tracks, do you ever feel like you're racing a train?
No, but I have raced planes taking off at the McCarren airport in Las Vegas many, many years ago.

Listen to the radio, maybe look for a alternate route.

Nose picking, eating, shaving, reading, singing.

How about while driving?
Pretty much the same as above.

Bonus Hossie Question:
Would you rather ride:
-a stagecoach in an old west movie?- can I ride shotgun?
-horseback in a parade?
-on the Budweiser beer wagon pulled by Clydesdales?- and this one too.
-or (please describe) other hossie powered transport?

Dads and A and W.
Pacifico, Superior and Negro Modelo.

Mac and cheese, tuna helper, various hamburger varieties and black beans and rice.

Chicken, egg and tuna.

Shredded beef.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,237,950 times
On a 5th grade field trip, from Glen Burnie to Philadelphia.
Still drive my first car, got it used at a local used car dealer. It's a 1996 model year, but only had 36K miles on it. Whoever previously owned it must not have driven it more than 3,000 miles a year!
I've felt that way before, when we go on vacation to Williamsburg, VA. A track parallels the main route through the area, US 60. A lot of coal trains roll by when we're there. We usually see at least 4 a day.
Just sit there and watch the train roll by. In the above situation, if you had to cross, you would be waiting about 4 minutes.
I've seen plenty of people jammin' out, waving their hand around like they were dancing.
How about while driving?
This is a story I'll never forget (although I technically didn't see it)
My world geography professor said that as he was pulling into the parking lot one morning, he saw a woman talking on two cell phones, one in each hand. She was controlling the steering wheel with her elbows!

Bonus Hossie Question:
Would you rather ride:
-horseback in a parade?

Don't drink either.
Never had any.
Nope
Can't think of any

Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,438,530 times

Just down the Vegas strip. It took forever. An Elvis impersonator got on at one point. He was out of costume, but he had the hair and sideburns.

Make audible sighs and complain.

There was a woman sitting at a bus stop. She stood up, walked to the middle of the sidewalk, squatted and peed. She was wearing a skirt.

Bonus Hossie Question:
Would you rather ride:
-a carriage through a rainy park in a big city? <- I guess that.
-horseback in a parade?

Every once in a while a root beer. Whatever kind.

I don't know, it was a long time ago.

I don't like eggs or ham, but I sometimes make a roasted chicken salad recipe that I got from my aunt. It has purple grapes, pecans and dill. It's really good.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,050,028 times
What's the furthest you've ridden a bus - where to where? Probably from Abilene, Texas to Austin, Texas.

How did you acquire your first car or other transport? My father gave me the old family car.

Only if the train is on the tracks at the time.

What do you do while sitting in a car and waiting to cross busy railroad tracks? Check the cell phone for messages.

What funny or weird things have you seen or heard of people doing while waiting there or at stop lights? People picking their nose, shaving, singing.

How about while driving? Same as above most of the time, however, there was one time that was a bit unusual. A man who was driving alone on the highway was eating what looked like a complete meal while driving (not just a sandwich or hamburger). He had a whole line of food items on his dashboard that he was munching on, forks or spoons in each dish, dipping stuff into sauces, etc. It was just nuts...lol.

Bonus Hossie Question:
Would you rather ride:
-horseback in a parade?

If you drink beer or rootbeer, what kinds? A&W root beer most of the time.

What prepackaged or box dinners have you tried? Hamburger Helper, pre-packaged meals from the Deli.

Do you eat or make salad sandwiches - like ham, chicken, or egg? Sometimes.

Just for fun:
The September photo contests are open for a while today, if you want to peruse and/or vote.
Best photo:
September 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest
Theme photo - Romance:
September 2014 "Theme" Contest

^^^I'll check out those links.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:25 PM

44,403 posts, read 20,136,139 times
What's the furthest you've ridden a bus - where to where? That would be a little less than 50 miles, from my elementary school in Gary, IN to Brookfield Zoo, just west of Chicago. Coincidentally, I'm going with a group - via bus - to Brookfield Zoo this Saturday!

How did you acquire your first car or other transport? I paid $100 cash for my first car, in 1976. It was a 1962 Olds 98. I drove it for a couple of years and then sold it for $200.

If you're moving along a street parallel to railroad tracks, do you ever feel like you're racing a train? (This is nothing to do with crossing tracks while a train is on them! Just driving alongside.) Yes, most days when I'm driving to and from work. Several RR tracks run parallel to US 12, which I take to work, and it often feels as though we're racing. I often clock their speed, just out of curiosity.

What do you do while sitting in a car and waiting to cross busy railroad tracks? I count the cars to pass the time. If the train is moving slowly (which they often are on the tracks which are nearest my house), I'll grab my camera and take pictures of the graffiti on the train cars and then post the photos in the C-D Photography forum.

What funny or weird things have you seen or heard of people doing while waiting there or at stop lights? Just nose-picking. Although, I suspect some people do stuff like shaving or putting on nail polish (hopefully, not the same person! ).

How about while driving? See above.

Bonus Hossie Question:
Would you rather ride:
-a horse drawn sleigh through snow on a farm? << Definitely this one. I love snow and cold and the countryside, so this would be right up my alley.
-horseback in a parade?
- a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon and also one over portions of Hawai'i.

If you drink beer or rootbeer, what kinds? Didn't we just have a question about root beer last week in a QOTD? My favorite root beer brands are Stewart's, A&W and Dog N Suds.

What prepackaged or box dinners have you tried? (ex. Hamburger Helper, but there are others) I stopped buying prepackaged dinner mixes more than 10 years ago. But when I was still buying them, my favorites were Rice-A-Roni (chicken flavor), the original Kraft Dinner mac & cheese, and Hamburger Helper stroganoff. I'd just about kill to have a big plate of chicken-flavored Rice-A-Roni for supper tonight!

Do you eat or make salad sandwiches - like ham, chicken, or egg? I don't often remember to make salads for sammies, but I occasionally make chicken salad or egg salad. Haven't made ham salad in eons. I especially love chicken salad on a croissant. Yum!

What other salad or made-from-a-mix sammiches can you think of? I can't think of any at the moment.

Today's Quote:
"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down." ~ Oprah Winfrey Good one.

Today’s Definition:
busman's holiday
a holiday or vacation in which someone performs the same work they usually do
That would be every vacation my mom ever had. When I was growing up, I was oblivious to the fact that Mom still had to cook and clean every day when we were on vacation. Our family would go in with another family or two and rent a cottage on a lake somewhere. We were all crammed into one cottage, and while dads and kids were out fishing, swimming and playing, the moms were cooking our meals and cleaning up after us. It wasn't until I was grown that I realized that wasn't much a vacation for my mom. I'm sure she enjoyed the change of scenery, but she deserved a lot more than she got when we went on vacations. Sadly, Mom died when I was still in high school and she never had the opportunity to take a nice vacation with dad, sans kids.

Today Is:
Custodial Workers Day Hooray for building custodians!
Fried Scallops Day Yum! I love scallops. Lots of melted butter, please.
Guardian Angels Day I know I have one.

This Week Includes:
Great American Beer Festival I celebrated a bit early, by attending the Valparaiso (IN) BrewFest last Saturday.
Universal Children's Week Hooray for kiddies!
Walk Your Dog Week If I had a dog, I'd walk him.

Happy, happy Thursday, everybody.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-02-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 05:29 PM

12,617 posts, read 2,995,894 times
What's the furthest you've ridden a bus - where to where? When I was a teenager from San Antonio to Houston.

My brother helped me buy the first one. Don't think I don't appreciate that and I did repay him though it took me a long time.

If you're moving along a street parallel to railroad tracks, do you ever feel like you're racing a train? I can imagine getting that sense.
(This is nothing to do with crossing tracks while a train is on them! Just driving alongside.) Yes, sir!

Count the cars or watch them until it looks like we're moving and the train is still.

I once saw a couple get in a fist fight in their car while waiting at a red light. lol

How about while driving? Trying to read a map with it in the way of the driver's view.

Bonus Hossie Question:
Would you rather ride:
-a horse drawn sleigh through snow on a farm? Good choices. I like this one best.
-horseback in a parade?

If you drink beer or rootbeer, what kinds? I don't care for alcoholic beers. Occasionally, any root beer will do.

What prepackaged or box dinners have you tried? Chef Boyardee pizza kits, Velveeta shells, frozen dinners.

Do you eat or make salad sandwiches - like ham, chicken, or egg? Not my favorites, but an occasional egg salad is okay.

What other salad or made-from-a-mix sammiches can you think of? I like a good pimiento and cheese on toast.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:42 PM

12,617 posts, read 2,995,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Today's Questions hopped on the bus, Gus.
Slip out the back Jack

(ex. Hamburger Helper, but there are others) None. I don't think we have hamburger helper here. How much help does a hamburger need?
How much help does a hamburger need?

You just made me really laugh! Not for a hamburger sandwich, but for a package of hamburger meat. Or maybe you were kidding.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:05 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,225 posts, read 30,492,494 times
What's the furthest you've ridden a bus - where to where? DFW to NW Arkansas and back.

How did you acquire your first car or other transport? Bought it after leaving the Navy and had a few bucks set aside. Very few.

If you're moving along a street parallel to railroad tracks, do you ever feel like you're racing a train? Yes, or I wouldn't have asked the question.

What do you do while sitting in a car and waiting to cross busy railroad tracks? I try to read the information on the sides of the cars. As some of you said, I also can't help counting them sometimes. Longest ones I've seen had 80 or more cars. Maybe the further west you go in this country the longer the trains.

What funny or weird things have you seen or heard of people doing while waiting there or at stop lights? Lots of cleaned noses out there. Great answers.

How about while driving?
I knew someone who said every day on his way to work he observed the same woman applying make up while looking in her rearview mirror.

Bonus Hossie Question:
Would you rather ride:
-horseback in a parade?
-or

Budweiser hossies sure are popular. I got to see them up close once, getting hitched up for an event. But no ride.

Here's a nifty site about a rescue farm for draft horses, no pun intended. It got me to thinking how many of our ancestors relied so much on horses and had a strong symbiotic connection with them. Like dogs and cats humans uesd to have horses as an integral part of life. Anyway it's interesting and they do good work and respect all that horses have done for humans.

The site is ---> Blue Star Equiculture
This page of theirs helped inspire this question. ---> I am a horse - An open letter from America's Horses.

If you drink beer or rootbeer, what kinds? Mug rootbeer, because there's no caffeine.

What prepackaged or box dinners have you tried? Lots of good answers. Digiornos does a decent a pre-cooked pasta you heat and add sauce. Now I want that or some Velveeta shells.

Do you eat or make salad sandwiches - like ham, chicken, or egg? I don't usually like these types of salads, if there's mayo involved.

What other salad or made-from-a-mix sammiches can you think of? Some good ones listed.

Thanks everyone.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics