Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 AM

941 posts, read 2,302,716 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this topic has come up many times, but it's one that needs to be repeated often, why do people feel that's it's necessary to have conversations about their private business in public places. I really dont' want hear about your baby daddy, or why that business deal went bad, while i'm stuck on line in the post office, it's bad enough avoiding these people on the roads in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Angry Quick cover your eyes & ears! :-(

Funny you brought this topic up again ~ just the other day I was in a public restroom and overhead a conversation coming from one of the stalls. It appeared someone was utilizing the facilities while enjoying himself talking on the cell phone. Give me a brake! I wouldn’t want to be on the other end of the call, and I sure wouldn’t want to barrow his cell phone one day, and I didn’t enjoy hearing about his end of the conversation while he was taking a dump. Ugly – who talks to these people that are in bathrooms?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
Oh yes...cell phones I now must use them in my business, however, there is a time and place!!! The bathroom? Give me a break That is disgusting. What annoys me is to have someone answer their 'phone and suddenly they feel as if they must speak at a roar in order to be heard by the party on the other end. I surely do not need nor desire to hear what they are saying. This happens in waiting rooms at the VA hospital where my husband goes (not by the patients, those that accompany them)and other public places.

I like and appreciate the convenience of a cell phone but too bad some users have no idea of how to use them politely and courteously. Good topic!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
So, I was using the bathroom the other day and the lady in the stall is talking... to me, I thought. I thought, "Hmm... how odd. I don't even know her" and as I'm thinking about this, I realize she's on the phone. I'm now done with my business and it never occured to me to be "polite" and wait until she was done with her conversation.... so I flushed. Man, did she get upset. You'd have thought I'd walked up and spit in her face.

Sorry, but my life isn't gonna be put on hold for your cell phone habit. And that's what it is, a rude habit.

If I talk on my cellphone more than twice a month, I'd honestly be suprised. And I'm not exageratting. My life has priorities so that, if I have a thought and I want to share it with someone... I can wait! I can wait untill I get home and call you from a land line. Or, if it really is important, I'll sit in my car (without the car moving!) and call you. But my private life is private and it's none of anyone's business, say, in line at the post office, what's going on in my life. And that's not being rude. That's an example of being repsectful of others!

What I don't get lately is the younger generation (8-21) who walk thru the mall with a cell phone plastered to their ear... but they're never talking to anyone. I guess nowadays, it's frowned upon to be walking alone somewhere. Like, if you're in public and you're not with someone.. or talking to someone on the phone, than you're a loser! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/headshake.gif (broken link)

Okay... thank you for the opprotunity to rant a little!

Last edited by canibeyou; 01-22-2008 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: 'Cuz I'm the Queen of Typos. :)

Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
What I don't get lately is the younger generation (8-21) who walk thru the mall with a cell phone plastered to their ear... but they're never talking to anyone. I guess nowadays, it's frowned upon to be walking alone somewhere. Like, if you're in public and you're not with someone.. or talking to someone on the phone, than you're a loser!
lol I must be a frowned upon loser. I do talk on my phone sometimes, but most of the time, I try to keep it quiet unless I'm in a noisy place, then I just leave. I can't stand it when I'm looking at a product and someone with the phone on their face comes barreling down the aisle shouting at phone like they can't hear them.

"OH MY GOODNESS DID YOU HEAR BLAH BLAH BLAH"

One of these days I'm just going to yell at them to shut up or leave the store, no one cares about what's going on except them! Arrrggghhhhhh!!!!

*shakes fist at people who have to talk louder as soon as they answer their phone*

Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,139,353 times
Thumbs up Etiquette

Maybe someone needs to cantact Martha Stewart and ask her do a show on CELLPHONE ETIQUITTE. And at the sametime have a person from a big insurance company there as well to let folks know how many accidents are caused on the roads by cell users.
I know that here in Ohio in some cities, if your caught on your cellphone while driving, you get a nice ticket. Best idea ever in my book. And some of the higher class restaurants wanted to ban the use of them whiles inside the building. But people complained and state stepped in and put a stop to the banned, the idiots. Even at home I won't answer the phone while seated for a meal, let alone being in a restaurant and putting-up with the numbskull in the next booth talking on his or hers. That's just being totally inconsiderate to everyone seated with them and around them. If they're close enough I like to get in on their conversation, that really drives them nuts. Then when they ask me, "do you mind"? I simply reply, "No, I surely don't, it sounds like a call we all need to get involved in, so no I don't mind".
Ya know, we did get along without them for alot of years.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
Okay, terrible but true event happened here in Missouri a few years ago. : A woman was driving her car home after visiting a friend in a hospital. Driving in the opposite direction was a woman disconnecting her cell phone after having a conversation with her daughter. The daughter was at home and letting her mother know that she was home and all okay.

Sadly the two women hit head on. . One woman died at the scene, the other a short time later. The irony of this is that both of these women were Realtors and belonged to the same board of Realtors and knew each other!.. The information regarding the cell phone usage came from the daughter during the investigation. I will not go into any further details as both of these women were acquaintances of mine.

Just a sad example of the dangers of cell phone usage while driving. I have been guilty of answering my cell phone while driving, but only on some of the 'back' roads around here.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 PM

250 posts, read 937,145 times
I'm a big fan of the gratuitous flush when I see someone talking on the phone in a public bathroom.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Unhappy Sad

I know a few years ago a young lady around 17 yrs old, was talking on her cellphone to a freind when she ran a stop sign and was hit by a semi-truck. The real sad part about all this is, that her freind said that all she heard was "oh my God!" Then it was all over, the young drivers life was cut saddly
short.
Moral of the story is, Moms and Dads tell them not to talk on the phone while driving.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnycakes View Post
I'm a big fan of the gratuitous flush when I see someone talking on the phone in a public bathroom.
Do you mean by "gratuitous flush", KEEP IT FLUSHING MY FREIND. I like the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics