Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 PM

24,782 posts, read 28,623,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'm melting!
You need to get a large tub... fill it full of ice & water... and place your " Toosie" in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 08:25 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,637,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
You need to get a large tub... fill it full of ice & water... and place your " Toosie" in it.
Oh my <fanning myself>

Old 07-21-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Oh my <fanning myself>
I forgot the coconut drink with the little umbrella..

Old 07-21-2016, 08:44 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,637,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I forgot the coconut drink with the little umbrella..
Oh well that changes everything. Thank you. Although I suspect this is all a diversion to keep me from the shake and fries.

Currently I'm thinking about snoozing - long day tomorrow.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Oh well that changes everything. Thank you. Although I suspect this is all a diversion to keep me from the shake and fries.

Currently I'm thinking about snoozing - long day tomorrow.
Shake - Fries - Snooze in that order... you will feel refreshed when you wake.. and have your coconut drink with umbrella

Old 07-21-2016, 10:15 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:

Liquor sales varies quite a bit from state to state and even county to county. There still are many places with blue laws - no alcohol sales on Sunday. In my home state, we have state stores that sell liquor and beer distributors that sell beer by the case. If you want a six pack you gave to get it from a bar that's willing to sell it that way. The State Store sells wine and liquor and no grocery or independent retailer is permitted to sell bottles. Where I live now, grocery stores sell beer and wine - aisles of them - and ABC stores sell hard liquor.
I noticed in Las Vegas, that ABC stores sell hard liquor. It's easy to imagine a huge country like America having varying laws in different parts of the country on the sale, and consumption of alcohol. I recognize religion and church having a part in this.

Even here in the UK, the country of Wales had very different laws in the past to England and Scotland. In 1881 a law banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays was brought in, and not repealed until 1961. Even after that, there were 'dry' districts in Wales, with the last one ending the ban in 1996.

We had laws where pubs had to close in the afternoon from 3pm till 6.30pm, and then had to close at 11pm. These laws were brought in during the First World War, and left in place until 2005. Foreign tourists, especially in places like London, would puzzle at why bars closed at 3pm. I don't think many people could tell them why....... they just did!......... Bars stay open all day now if they wish.

Buying hard liquor for home consumption, when I was a boy was quite difficult. There were pubs everywhere of course, but buying a bottle of say, whiskey, meant going to what are known as 'Off Licences.' They were few and far between back in the days before supermarkets. Once the big stores started to arrive in the late 60s, the consumption of hard liquor to buy, and take home, increased dramatically. This, and sales of beer for home consumption, has caused the closing of many pubs, which used to be a major part of the social fabric of this country. Many streets of old Victorian row houses, had a pub on one end. I remember my grandmother's street had one such pub, called 'The Fire Engine.'

My dad told me a story once about my grandmother cooking a family meal, and when it was ready, there was no sign of my grandfather. My gran said, "he'll be in the Fire Engine I bet." She walked to the pub with his dinner on a plate. On finding him in there, she tipped his dinner over his head........

Pubs used to be the places for social gathering in the evenings for all ages. I remember in the early 70s, going into my mother's watering hole, which was called 'The Bull's Head.' If I went to her house, and she wasn't in, I always knew where to find her........ I would go in, to a loud hum of people talking. In those days, pubs had two doors, One had a sign on it, that said, 'Public Bar.' This was the side men went in to get away from women........ There would be wooden tables and chairs, no carpet, and a dart board on one wall. The air was full of smoke, and the talk was politics and football.

The other door, had 'Saloon Bar' on it. In there, had cushioned seating, and carpeting. This bar was were men took their wives on a Saturday night, and behaved themselves, with no swearing allowed!! This slowly changed, and nowadays pubs have just the one bar. My mother's generation treated their local pub as their second home. Those days are long gone, and many pubs are quiet during the week, and make most of their money at the weekends. Plus most now provide meals, especially at lunchtimes. Back in the 60s and 70s most pubs provided nothing more than a bag of crisps (chips) with the beer, and possibly a pickled egg from a large jar.........

Old 07-22-2016, 12:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,128,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
A towel wrapped around your what?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Bonce ( head ) not bounce .... Predictive text......
Yes, it should have been "bonce" as LC rightly pointed out!

However, my predictive text thingy, doesn't know what "bonce" is; and of course I never bothered to proof-read prior to clicking the submit button!

I don't like Predictive Text at all. There are certain words I enter it just doesn't like and always changes them to suit it rather than suit me. And when I get really frustrated with it I start entering swear words, some of which it still doesn't recognize! So I just switch the bloody thing off and hop ef or thee bost, lol lol

Old 07-22-2016, 12:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,128,221 times
Quote:

Wot?! how did I get that so wrong? Had no idea - somehow I'd decided you were decades older than that. Well whatevs, your dinners always sound better than mine. Oh and sorry about the slip and fall - yikes!
Not sure whether to take that a compliment!? Especially the "decades older" bit; you could have at least said "a few years older"

By all means check out my profile for my dob (and mugshot - which I really must update one day! I think I was 3 sheets to wind when that pic was taken)

Anyway, I am only 23 and not 73 (the latter would put me in the same bracket as Dave, LC and Star!)

Old 07-22-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Yes, it should have been "bonce" as LC rightly pointed out!

However, my predictive text thingy, doesn't know what "bonce" is; and of course I never bothered to proof-read prior to clicking the submit button!

I don't like Predictive Text at all. There are certain words I enter it just doesn't like and always changes them to suit it rather than suit me. And when I get really frustrated with it I start entering swear words, some of which it still doesn't recognize! So I just switch the bloody thing off and hop ef or thee bost, lol lol
Morning Zola...... I went on google to read about 'predictive text'. I'm no nearer understanding it, than before....... All I get is a little red line under misspelled words as I type. The trouble is, when I spell words in English, English, it underlines them as being wrong. As for instance, colour. If I change it to color, then no red line........ Someone should tell these computer makers, we speak the Queen's English here in England.........

Old 07-22-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Not sure whether to take that a compliment!? Especially the "decades older" bit; you could have at least said "a few years older"

By all means check out my profile for my dob (and mugshot - which I really must update one day! I think I was 3 sheets to wind when that pic was taken)

Anyway, I am only 23 and not 73 (the latter would put me in the same bracket as Dave, LC and Star!)
I've just been to take a look at your boat race......... boy, you sure are young.......

73.......... 73.......... I'm only a boy of 62.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics