Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 02:53 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,085,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
I don't recall any mature students during my terms at university; at least not in my classes. But I know what you mean.

My mother tried to do an Open University course many many years ago (probably before decent internet broadband). She had to either watch or record those OU programs that were broadcast on BBC1/2 at some ungodly hour of a night/morning.

However, she knocked it on the head after her 1st year as she found it incredibly difficult to concentrate/motivate herself after a working day.
Didn't you have any mature students on your course?! We had quite a few. Most of them were alright actually, and I got on well with them. But some of them were pains - I think they were trying to 'prove' they were just as good as the younger students.

Yes, there were these Open University programmes on during all hours, with 'mad scientists' presenting them! I couldn't do OU, because I would struggle to get the motivation. It was bad enough trying to get myself to lectures at Uni!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 05:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,424,246 times
OMGoodness, when I started college I was 40 years old and all of my classmates were the same age as my children.
The funny thing about that is I never sat at a table alone, all of them, male and female would pull up a chair and sit with me at the table I was at. We chatted a lot but we also discussed our class and did some research and studying.

Edited to add: This is my project for today except I am using a Red Heart Yarn called *Strata* and I am using all Purple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5kYGJ7tDg

Last edited by CSD610; 09-06-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,128,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Didn't you have any mature students on your course?! We had quite a few. Most of them were alright actually, and I got on well with them. But some of them were pains - I think they were trying to 'prove' they were just as good as the younger students.

Yes, there were these Open University programmes on during all hours, with 'mad scientists' presenting them! I couldn't do OU, because I would struggle to get the motivation. It was bad enough trying to get myself to lectures at Uni!

Now I think about it, there probably were a few mature students on my course; probably in their mid 30s, certainly not any older. I didn't really pay it much mind at the time; I was so engrossed with the whole university life thing that checking out older students was a forgotten afterthought.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OMGoodness, when I started college I was 40 years old and all of my classmates were the same age as my children.
The funny thing about that is I never sat at a table alone, all of them, male and female would pull up a chair and sit with me at the table I was at. We chatted a lot but we also discussed our class and did some research and studying.

Edited to add: This is my project for today except I am using a Red Heart Yarn called *Strata* and I am using all Purple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5kYGJ7tDg
Sounds like an interesting project My grandmother used to crochet, and my mother dabbles from time to time.

As for me - I neither have the patience or the nimble fingers to do that kind of thing; I like DIY but when it comes to arts & crafts, I am sadly lacking.

Funny you should mention "strata" because I am currently working on a project called Strata, which involves deciding on which of our physical servers in our datacentre can be decommissioned, upgraded or virtualized into a Cloud solution (I work in IT, in case you're wondering, lol)

Old 09-07-2016, 12:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,424,246 times
Zola, my Mother was a programmer analyst for years so I actually know what you are talking about.
She started out as a data input operator and worked her way up to programmer analyst, self taught.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:32 PM

Sitting in my comfy chair, watching some junk on Kodi, eating a Magnum, drinking a cold shandy; with my feet soaking in a foot spa, and thoroughly enjoying a peaceful evening.....

..... but typically, I need to pee!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:41 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,578,410 times
Tooooooo bloody muggy!!

Old 09-07-2016, 01:52 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Sitting in my comfy chair, watching some junk on Kodi, eating a Magnum, drinking a cold shandy; with my feet soaking in a foot spa, and thoroughly enjoying a peaceful evening.....

..... but typically, I need to pee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Tooooooo bloody muggy!!
Good evening, the terrible twins........ I've been watching the bonus DVD for the Judy Garland movie, 'A Star Is Born.' I bought it today for a fiver. The original movie was three hours long at it's premiere in 1954. All the talk was of Judy getting the Oscar that year. Then the cinema owners complained the movie was too long, and they needed more showings per day to make money. Jack Warner then had a half hour of the movie removed........ This ruined the flow of the film, and Judy didn't get the Oscar. Over many years attempts were made to find the removed parts of the film to return it to it's original form. Some parts were found, but not all sadly. I saw this movie at the National Film Theater in London decades ago, and even damaged as it was back then, it is still probably Judy Garland's greatest achievement on film.

It sure is bloody muggy LC......... Today, we went into the town of Bury and it was real warm. I went in shorts and t-shirt, which shows you just how warm it is. I don't normally reveal so much of myself to the English public....... I normally confine showing of the flesh when abroad on holiday........

Judy is upstairs watching 'Bake Off' on the telly, with the fan blasting at her. She is fed up of this heat, and is ready for autumn!!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:07 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,578,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Good evening, the terrible twins........ I've been watching the bonus DVD for the Judy Garland movie, 'A Star Is Born.' I bought it today for a fiver. The original movie was three hours long at it's premiere in 1954. All the talk was of Judy getting the Oscar that year. Then the cinema owners complained the movie was too long, and they needed more showings per day to make money. Jack Warner then had a half hour of the movie removed........ This ruined the flow of the film, and Judy didn't get the Oscar. Over many years attempts were made to find the removed parts of the film to return it to it's original form. Some parts were found, but not all sadly. I saw this movie at the National Film Theater in London decades ago, and even damaged as it was back then, it is still probably Judy Garland's greatest achievement on film.

It sure is bloody muggy LC......... Today, we went into the town of Bury and it was real warm. I went in shorts and t-shirt, which shows you just how warm it is. I don't normally reveal so much of myself to the English public....... I normally confine showing of the flesh when abroad on holiday........

Judy is upstairs watching 'Bake Off' on the telly, with the fan blasting at her. She is fed up of this heat, and is ready for autumn!!
Hello dad!!!! Or is that grandad! ( A star is born 1954!... What's that!!!! LMAO )

She's in the Wizard of Oz? ...... The oldest film I've seen was a carry on film from the 50s...

Oh Dave mate!.... Today was bad but yesterday..... What's the worst possible colour to wear when sweaty? ... Grey!.. I had a grey t shirt, grey bottoms and even a grey hoody to go home with... We had a manic day at work mate and it honestly looked like I jumped in the bath I was that soaked

Yeah I'm not allowed shorts at work ( health and safety ) so got brown face, arms and neck and white legs and torso lol

It was great ( scaffolding ) years ago ... When 18 I was in shorts, trainers and the only protection I had was sun cream ...

Apparently ( according to my mate ) we are in for a really bad winter!... Cold wise ... He says he's seen a headline but hoping he's on the wind up?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Evening, Gents

It is extremely close this evening; even with the fan in my face I can barely get comfortable or cool.

Had a shower earlier that offered some temporary relief, but alas I still feel extremely lethargic

So as a consequence I might knock it on the head and go to bed with my fan, my cold water bottle and a bottle of chilled water.

I want to open my bedroom windows, but if I do that I'll end up with a swarm of moths and/or crane flies hovering around my lamp shade.

Ho hum.... just another 3 days and I can bugger off to cooler climates for a week or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics