Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

In the never-ending quest for interesting things to yack about,
let's take a look first at the state of marital un-happiness or 'un-wedded' bliss.

Today's Asunder Questions:
One of our family friends has said she considers the divorce from her first husband many years ago to have been a blessing.

Have you known of any divorces that were a "blessing" or at least mostly a good thing?
(Details, if you dare.)

Maybe for their own sake or those around them, have you known of a couple you thought would benefit from getting a divorce?

Bonus How-I-Got-Here Section:
How did your parents meet?

Did they know each other long before having you/kids?

Were they happy together, as far as you know?

Do you think your luck with romance has been better or worse than theirs appeared/appears to be?

Foodie Questions:
It's Be Kind to Food Servers Month.
Have you seen a food service worker putting up with things, people, situations you wouldn't want to deal with?

Do you ever take a server's suggestion of what's especially good or the day's specials?

Have you or someone you know worked a food service job?
If so, any tales to tell?

Today in History:
1610 Galileo Galilei first observed the largest moons of Jupiter
1785 English channel crossed in 2.5 hours by gas balloon, operated by Frenchman Jean-Pierre Blanchard
1789 1st US presidential election held
1797 Current Italian national flag first used
1830 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad railroad service began
1896 1st Fannie Farmer cookbook published, "The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book"
1927 1st transatlantic telephone service established between NYC & London
1947 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' reached #1 on US pop music chart
1954 1st public demonstration of a machine translation system held in New York at IBM

Today's Astronomical Quote:
"The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it,
can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do."
~ Galileo Galilei, cool dude

Today’s Word:

gantry [GAN-tree] noun, plural gantries
1.a framework spanning a railroad track or tracks for displaying signals
2.any of various spanning frameworks, as a bridgelike portion of certain cranes
3.Rocketry: a frame of scaffolds used to erect vertically launched rockets and spacecraft
4.a framelike stand for supporting a barrel or cask
Origin: 1300s Middle English 'gauntre' from dialectal Old French 'gantier' wooden stand,
wooden frame, variant of 'chantier' from Medieval Latin 'cantarius'

Today Includes:
Bobblehead Day
Tempura Day

This Week Includes:
New Year's Resolutions Week: 1-8
Someday We'll Laugh About This Week: 2-8
Elvis' Birthday Celebration Week: 4-8

January Includes:
Be Kind to Food Servers Month
Creativity Month
Hot Tea Month
Oatmeal Month
Soup Month
Walk Your Dog Month

Today's 103 year old Nostalgia Picture:
1912, Washington DC area, man pulls child on sled. The sled looks homemade, the box a reused crate. Looks like it was a might chill out there.
(Am keeping the rough edges on this one so you can see what a nifty old photo it is.
The originals of many old photos like this one are on glass. Good quality for its age.)

Pre-1923, US government photo, in the public domain.

Wishing you all a warm and happy Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:58 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
let's take a look first at the state of marital un-happiness or 'un-wedded' bliss.

One of our family friends has said she considers the divorce from her first husband many years ago to have been a blessing.

Have you known of any divorces that were a "blessing" or at least mostly a good thing?
(Details, if you dare.)
Old friends married and were a disaster.
Maybe for their own sake or those around them, have you known of a couple you thought would benefit from getting a divorce?

Long enough.

Do you think your luck with romance has been better or worse than theirs appeared/appears to be?

Foodie Questions:
Have you seen a food service worker putting up with things, people, situations you wouldn't want to deal with?

Do you ever take a server's suggestion of what's especially good or the day's specials?
Yes at times.
Not myself but others.

Today in History:
1785 English channel crossed in 2.5 hours by gas balloon, operated by Frenchman Jean-Pierre Blanchard
1896 1st Fannie Farmer cookbook published, "The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book"
1954 1st public demonstration of a machine translation system held in New York at IBM

can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do."

Today’s Word:

3.Rocketry: a frame of scaffolds used to erect vertically launched rockets and spacecraft
Origin: 1300s Middle English 'gauntre' from dialectal Old French 'gantier' wooden stand,

Today Includes:
Bobblehead Day
Tempura Day

This Week Includes:
Elvis' Birthday Celebration Week: 4-8

January Includes:
Creativity Month
Hot Tea Month
Oatmeal Month
Soup Month
Walk Your Dog Month

1912, Washington DC area, man pulls child on sled. The sled looks homemade, the box a reused crate. Looks like it was a might chill out there.
(Am keeping the rough edges on this one so you can see what a nifty old photo it is.
The originals of many old photos like this one are on glass. Good quality for its age.)

Great pic and Q's thanks BJ!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

(Details, if you dare.)

Foodie Questions:

Many times I've asked them for their recommendations as well

Both my DD's did this when they were in college.
It resulted in us having to tip BIGGER than ever before... to the point I finally told them we couldn't support EVERY waiter/waitress in the country! But, we do continue to tip very generously simply based on their experience... made us all really appreciate what servers go through day in/day out!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:
Bobblehead Day
Tempura Day

This Week Includes:
Elvis' Birthday Celebration Week: 4-8 Wow, bjh, didn't know it was your birthday week!

January Includes:
Creativity Month
Hot Tea Month
Oatmeal Month
Soup Month
Walk Your Dog Month

Today's 103 year old Nostalgia Picture: Another grand old photo, thanks for sharing!

Thanks bjh for the great 1st Thursday's QotD of 2016!

Enjoy All!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:24 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Have you known of any divorces that were a "blessing" or at least mostly a good thing? (Details, if you dare.) Some.

Maybe for their own sake or those around them, have you known of a couple you thought would benefit from getting a divorce? Some.

How did your parents meet? I have no idea I wasn't there, and I can't ask since they have passed..

Did they know each other long before having you/kids? Have no idea.

Were they happy together, as far as you know? Sorta.

Foodie Questions:
Have you seen a food service worker putting up with things, people, situations you wouldn't want to deal with? Many times.

Do you ever take a server's suggestion of what's especially good or the day's specials? Have.

Have you or someone you know worked a food service job? I've known some people that have.
If so, any tales to tell? Can't think of any.

Danke mein Freund

Old 01-06-2016, 10:47 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,132 times

(Details, if you dare.) Mine!

Maybe for their own sake or those around them, have you known of a couple you thought would benefit from getting a divorce? We all know marriages go through good times & not so good times. Who said that the opposite of love isn't hate.... it's indifference. If there's indifference you know it's done. I've known some I thought would benefit from divorce, but who am I to judge?

How did your parents meet? Dad's family owned a farm & dairy. My mother worked at a creamery & dad delivered some milk there. He was, from what I was told, quite a ladies' man & people were surprised when they were married within months of meeting.

Did they know each other long before having you/kids? Within a year after marrying. Pop was 24 and Geeg was 20. Poppy said as a young man he never wanted kids. He ended up with five. I can't imagine him not being a dad, he was that good at it.

Were they happy together, as far as you know? Pop was happy, I think, for the most part. My mother wasn't happy being a farmer's wife. They were, however, married 53 years.

Do you think your luck with romance has been better or worse than theirs appeared/appears to be? Worse

Foodie Questions:
Have you seen a food service worker putting up with things, people, situations you wouldn't want to deal with? Have. Some people seem to feel they deserve more than anyone else around them.

Do you ever take a server's suggestion of what's especially good or the day's specials? I have when it's something I had considered ordering.

Have you or someone you know worked a food service job? I waited tables a few summers during college.
If so, any tales to tell? Oh, so long ago...

~ Galileo Galilei, cool dude Like this.

Today’s Word:

Pre-1923, US government photo, in the public domain. A friend's dad has a collection of glass slides. Love this
photo!
Wishing you all a warm and happy Thursday! Well, it will be warmer than the beginning of the week at least! Thanks, bjh!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times

(Details, if you dare.) Both mine were, but didn't seem like it at the time. First marriage was the result of my 16 yr old girlfriend stating "Guess what I found out at the doctor today?" At that time, and with my mother, pregnancy means marriage. Marriage #2, she was never happy about the marriage. She went from "Joe and Jane's" daughter, to my wife, to "Pete and Repeat's" mother. Never just "her".
For me, definitely third marriage is the charm!

Maybe for their own sake or those around them, have you known of a couple you thought would benefit from getting a divorce? I know several

How did your parents meet? Went to high school together

Did they know each other long before having you/kids? 6 years

Were they happy together, as far as you know? Very much so. Mama died 2 weeks after their 66th anniversary

Do you think your luck with romance has been better or worse than theirs appeared/appears to be? Worse!

Foodie Questions:
Have you seen a food service worker putting up with things, people, situations you wouldn't want to deal with? Yup

Do you ever take a server's suggestion of what's especially good or the day's specials? A few times

Have you or someone you know worked a food service job? Yup.
If so, any tales to tell? Best tips, when you work in an all night restaurant in a college town, is after midnight when the frat parties shut down.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times

(Details, if you dare.)
My stepsister's three marriages all ended in divorce. The second husband was an ex-con who molested her daughter and the third husband was emotionally immature and became an unemployed drug abuser after a back injury. I was glad to see both of them gone from her life.
Fortunately I can't think of any couples that I would put in that category.

I don't know for sure, but I am guessing they met in high school.
They were married 10 years when they had my brother and 13 years when they had me.
They were happy at first, but after 20 years of marriage they went through a really nasty, painful, bitter and protracted divorce. Late in her life I asked my mother, "If you knew then what you know now, would you still have married him?" She answered yes without any hesitation, which really surprised me.
Better, I think, because I recognized early on that my first marriage was a mistake and ended it. My second marriage has lasted for nearly 30 years, longer than any of my father's three marriages. (My mother's second marriage lasted a little longer, 32 years).

Foodie Questions:
Yes, mainly unruly small children whose messes they have to clean up or extremely high-maintenance diners who ask a million questions about what's in the food or make a lot of special requests.
Yes. I'll never forget the time I asked about the petrale, and the waiter went into the kitchen and brought out the raw fish to show me how good it looked! I respect waiters and never hesitate to ask their advice.
A friend of mine worked as a waitress when she was in high school. She said it was the hardest job she ever had, and I believe her. I know I couldn't do it.

Thanks, bjh! Love the nostalgia picture.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times

Have you known of any divorces that were a "blessing" or at least mostly a good thing? (Details, if you dare.) My brother's first wife became an alcoholic. I guess it ran in her family; my nephew much later told me that her brothers and sisters were also alcoholics. My nephew also told me that my brother would frequently have to drive all over town looking for her to bring her home. The sad, sad thing is that none of us knew this was going on. When we were visiting she seemed fine. It took forever for them to be divorced because she needed to be on his work's health care plan. Now he's with a much nicer woman who makes him really happy, so his divorce really was a blessing.

Maybe for their own sake or those around them, have you known of a couple you thought would benefit from getting a divorce? Most couples are mystery to me - things I would never put up with are just accepted by some. So I don't have a clue about why various marriages work or don't work.

How did your parents meet? At a professional meeting.

Did they know each other long before having you/kids? They only knew each other 3 months before they married (!), but waited 2 years before having their first child.

Were they happy together, as far as you know? Wow, so hard to tell. They were married 58 years, but were they happy? I think at that time you just stayed married no matter what.

Do you think your luck with romance has been better or worse than theirs appeared/appears to be? Well, you'd have to differentiate between "romance" and "marriage". None of my romantic relationships - especially those that only lasted only 3 months - led to marriage. Is that better or worse than their life experience? I'm really not sure.

Foodie Questions:
Have you seen a food service worker putting up with things, people, situations you wouldn't want to deal with? Oh my gosh yes! I've always said that you never know someone until you've seen them in these situations: 1) drunk, 2) in heavy traffic, and 3) how they treat waitresses.

Do you ever take a server's suggestion of what's especially good or the day's specials? All the time, because I never can decide what to order. Not that I go to restaurants all that often.

Have you or someone you know worked a food service job? My first non babysitting job was at a steak house. I'm very klutzy, and was very shy then, so I wasn't very good at it. But it was a very interesting experience because the manager hated "educated" people - had a real chip on his shoulder about this subject and talked about it a lot. That was the first time I learned that other people think differently about things than my family did - a very useful thing to learn at 17.

Thanks BJH, and happy new day to everyone.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:52 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times

(Details, if you dare.) Yes, my younger sister's first husband was rather abusive to her and I'm glad they got divorced. About the only good thing to come from their marriage is my soon-to-be 26-year-old nephew.

Maybe for their own sake or those around them, have you known of a couple you thought would benefit from getting a divorce? Oh, sure.

How did your parents meet? My mom and my uncle (dad's younger brother) were classmates at the university. My uncle introduced my dad and mom when they went with a group of people to a special occasion, like a birthday party of a mutual friend.

Did they know each other long before having you/kids? About 2-3 years.

Were they happy together, as far as you know? They were in the beginning but after 21 years, decided to call it quits.

Do you think your luck with romance has been better or worse than theirs appeared/appears to be? Worse, but that's my choice.

Foodie Questions:
Have you seen a food service worker putting up with things, people, situations you wouldn't want to deal with? Yes, unfortunately. I know I could never do that job.

Do you ever take a server's suggestion of what's especially good or the day's specials? Sometimes.

Have you or someone you know worked a food service job? My younger sister (same one mentioned in the first question) worked at a fish & chips place when she was in college.
If so, any tales to tell? Just the usual about how some people can be so demanding and feel this inflated sense of entitlement, etc., ad nauseum.

Enjoy the first Thursday of 2016. We're having thunderstorms right now.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Have you known of any divorces that were a "blessing" or at least mostly a good thing? (Details, if you dare.) I have only known one couple in my circle of people that have divorced. They had no children so that part was a blessing.

How did your parents meet? I have no idea.

Did they know each other long before having you/kids? I have no idea.

Were they happy together, as far as you know? They were not.

Do you think your luck with romance has been better or worse than theirs appeared/appears to be? better

Foodie Questions:
Have you seen a food service worker putting up with things, people, situations you wouldn't want to deal with? I am of the Club that if you don't like working with the Public get another job. (I work Customer Service and deal with a lot of things. I find it a challenge to make an unhappy person happy.)

Have you or someone you know worked a food service job? I worked in one for a minute a very long time ago, enough of a minute not to ever want to do it again.
If so, any tales to tell? I had a co-worker that was friendly to me all the time, one night I had a large party, they left me a hefty tip. I saw her walk by the table and take the tip. I was done after that. Back stabbing at its finest.

January Includes:
Creativity Month
Hot Tea Month
Oatmeal Month
Soup Month
Walk Your Dog Month I miss my dog.

I will have to stay inside to get the "warm" part, it is 17 degrees out there right now! Have a happy Thursday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics