Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 10:08 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the "Christmas" edition for the Questions of the day December 25, 2016. As a Capricorn born on December 25th, your patience and determination are amongst your most well known qualities. Although no one is immune to occasional frustrations, you attempt to be understanding and calm in all your dealings. Your family and friends often marvel at your ability to keep a cool head in even the most nerve racking situations. You join these celebrities and notables (past & present) birthdays today, Canadian Leader Justin Trudeau, Jimmy Buffet, singer, Clara Barton, nurse, Humphrey Bogart, actor, Sissy Spacek, actress, and Rod Serling, film producer.

(Some questions may be redundant, please bear with me, I'm short on time tonight)

1- Did you put up a tree this year?

2- Was it a real fresh cut tree or an artificial tree?

3- Did you hang a wreath on a outside door or elsewhere?

4- Did you display any outdoor lights?

5- Did you put out a blow-up Santa or other blow-up doll?

6- Did you participate in any Christmas party?

7- Did you sing any Christmas songs?

8- Did you watch any Christmas shows or movies?

9- Did you eat any delicious fruitcake?

10- Did you travel anywhere for a Christmas gathering?

11- How many Christmas cards, if any, did you send?

12- How many Christmas cards have you received so far?

13- Did you start celebrating Chanukah and light a menorah?

14- What's for Christmas dinner?

15- Do you have any favorite Christmas memories to share?

Holiday travelers pun:

Shortly before Christmas, a business man was anxious to get home. The business trip had been grueling and he was not in a particularly good mood. The airport loudspeakers blared Christmas carols he was sick of hearing. He thought their decorations were tacky.
The worst decoration, he thought, was the plastic mistletoe hung over the luggage scale.
Being in a grumpy mood, he said to the woman at the counter, "You know, even if I weren't married, I wouldn't kiss you."
"That's not what it's there for," said the attendant. "It's so you can kiss your luggage goodbye."

Christmas quote:
Christmas is a season not only of rejoicing but of reflection. Winston Churchill

Historical events of note for December 25:

0333 – Roman Emperor Constantine the Great elevates his youngest son Constans to the rank of Caesar.
0800 – The Coronation of Charlemagne as Holy Roman Emperor, in Rome.
1066 – William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy is crowned king of England, at Westminster Abbey, London.
1776 – George Washington and the Continental Army cross the Delaware River at night to attack Hessian forces serving Great Britain at Trenton, New Jersey, the next day.
1809 – Dr. Ephraim McDowell performs the first ovariotomy, removing a 22-pound tumor.
1868 – United States President Andrew Johnson grants an unconditional pardon to all Confederate veterans.
1914 – A series of unofficial truces occur across the Western Front to celebrate Christmas.
1941 – Admiral Chester W. Nimitz arrives at Pearl Harbor to assume command of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.
1968 – Apollo program: Apollo 8 performs the very first successful Trans-Earth injection (TEI) maneuver, sending the crew and spacecraft on a trajectory back to Earth from Lunar orbit.
2004 – The Cassini orbiter releases Huygens probe which successfully landed on Saturn's moon Titan on January 14, 2005.
2016 - Santa Claus brings holiday cheer, delivers presents to all of the good little boys and girls in the world.

As customary all Christmas and Holiday questions were run by and approved by the law firm of Rain, Deer & Claus, attorney's with holiday hearts.

Ho Ho Hope your Christmas Holiday is/has been a merry and festive one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 10:25 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times
Merry Christmas everyone!

1- Did you put up a tree this year? Yes

2- Was it a real fresh cut tree or an artificial tree? Artificial

3- Did you hang a wreath on a outside door or elsewhere? Inside on a wall, didn't fit on my door.

4- Did you display any outdoor lights? No

5- Did you put out a blow-up Santa or other blow-up doll? No

6- Did you participate in any Christmas party? Yes

7- Did you sing any Christmas songs? Yes

8- Did you watch any Christmas shows or movies? Yes

9- Did you eat any delicious fruitcake? No

10- Did you travel anywhere for a Christmas gathering? Just across town for Christmas Eve lunch with family

11- How many Christmas cards, if any, did you send? About a dozen

12- How many Christmas cards have you received so far? A dozen or so

13- Did you start celebrating Chanukah and light a menorah? No

14- What's for Christmas dinner? Roast beef

15- Do you have any favorite Christmas memories to share? When I was a kid I have happy memories of family being together. So sad that so many of those family members are gone now.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:47 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Want to wish my C-D friends a very merry Christmas and, if you're travelling like we are, be safe and, as my mother used to say, make it home in one piece.

1- Did you put up a tree this year? Yup

2- Was it a real fresh cut tree or an artificial tree? Only live trees in our house!

3- Did you hang a wreath on a outside door or elsewhere? Nope

4- Did you display any outdoor lights? Yup

5- Did you put out a blow-up Santa or other blow-up doll? Nope

6- Did you participate in any Christmas party? Nope

7- Did you sing any Christmas songs? Nope

8- Did you watch any Christmas shows or movies? Since before Thanksgiving, thanks to Hallmark Channel! lol

9- Did you eat any delicious fruitcake? Delicious fruitcake? Those two words don't even belong in the same sentence. lol

10- Did you travel anywhere for a Christmas gathering? 60 miles to my stepdaughter's Sunday

11- How many Christmas cards, if any, did you send? Maybe a dozen or so

12- How many Christmas cards have you received so far? More than we sent

13- Did you start celebrating Chanukah and light a menorah? Nope

14- What's for Christmas dinner? Today was lunch of country ham, sausage, eggs and biscuits

15- Do you have any favorite Christmas memories to share? Too many to narrow down to mention here

Old 12-24-2016, 11:07 PM

126,266 posts, read 19,034,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Welcome to the "Christmas" edition for the Questions of the day December 25, 2016. As a Capricorn born on December 25th, your patience and determination are amongst your most well known qualities. Although no one is immune to occasional frustrations, you attempt to be understanding and calm in all your dealings. Your family and friends often marvel at your ability to keep a cool head in even the most nerve racking situations. You join these celebrities and notables (past & present) birthdays today, Canadian Leader Justin Trudeau, Jimmy Buffet, singer, Clara Barton, nurse, Humphrey Bogart, actor, Sissy Spacek, actress, and Rod Serling, film producer.

(Some questions may be redundant, please bear with me, I'm short on time tonight)

1- Did you put up a tree this year?... YES a 7 ft Balsam fir

2- Was it a real fresh cut tree or an artificial tree?...REAL ONE

3- Did you hang a wreath on a outside door or elsewhere?..2 WREATH INSIDE

4- Did you display any outdoor lights?...YES

5- Did you put out a blow-up Santa or other blow-up doll?...NO

6- Did you participate in any Christmas party?....I HAVE 3 GENERATIONS in my home til NEW YEAR

7- Did you sing any Christmas songs?....YES we all sing and play music a tradition since my childhood,mostly alpine CHRISTMAS songs as well English ones

8- Did you watch any Christmas shows or movies?...NO

9- Did you eat any delicious fruitcake?.... STOLLEN with Marzipan

10- Did you travel anywhere for a Christmas gathering?...NO

11- How many Christmas cards, if any, did you send?...LOST COUNT

12- How many Christmas cards have you received so far?..A LOT

13- Did you start celebrating Chanukah and light a menorah?...NO

14- What's for Christmas dinner?..... CAVIAR pie and smoked salmon and Champage and home baked Christmas sweets

15- Do you have any favorite Christmas memories to share?..IT is 1 am and so many memories but so little time ...

Holiday travelers pun:

Shortly before Christmas, a business man was anxious to get home. The business trip had been grueling and he was not in a particularly good mood. The airport loudspeakers blared Christmas carols he was sick of hearing. He thought their decorations were tacky.
The worst decoration, he thought, was the plastic mistletoe hung over the luggage scale.
Being in a grumpy mood, he said to the woman at the counter, "You know, even if I weren't married, I wouldn't kiss you."
"That's not what it's there for," said the attendant. "It's so you can kiss your luggage goodbye."

Christmas quote:
Christmas is a season not only of rejoicing but of reflection. Winston Churchill

0333 – Roman Emperor Constantine the Great elevates his youngest son Constans to the rank of Caesar.
1066 – William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy is crowned king of England, at Westminster Abbey, London.
1776 – George Washington and the Continental Army cross the Delaware River at night to attack Hessian forces serving Great Britain at Trenton, New Jersey, the next day.
1809 – Dr. Ephraim McDowell performs the first ovariotomy, removing a 22-pound tumor.
1868 – United States President Andrew Johnson grants an unconditional pardon to all Confederate veterans.
1914 – A series of unofficial truces occur across the Western Front to celebrate Christmas.
1941 – Admiral Chester W. Nimitz arrives at Pearl Harbor to assume command of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.
1968 – Apollo program: Apollo 8 performs the very first successful Trans-Earth injection (TEI) maneuver, sending the crew and spacecraft on a trajectory back to Earth from Lunar orbit.
2004 – The Cassini orbiter releases Huygens probe which successfully landed on Saturn's moon Titan on January 14, 2005.
2016 - Santa Claus brings holiday cheer, delivers presents to all of the good little boys and girls in the world.

As customary all Christmas and Holiday questions were run by and approved by the law firm of Rain, Deer & Claus, attorney's with holiday hearts.

THANK YOU wit-nit and Merry Christmas to one and all

Old 12-24-2016, 11:17 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times

Grilled T-bones!

Holiday travelers pun:

Christmas quote:

Thanks Witty! Nice job! Merry Christmas to you all!

Old 12-24-2016, 11:18 PM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
Yes.
Real fresh cut.
Not this year, though I usually do.
No.
No.
No.
I sang along with the radio when I was driving.
Yes, so far I've seen White Christmas, A Christmas Carol, Meet Me in St. Louis and The Shop Around the Corner.
No, although I have some fruitcake mini-muffins on hand. I'm not a big fan of fruitcake.
No.
About 25.
About 14.
No, but I made latkes for Christmas Eve dinner in honor of the first night of Hanukkah.
Chili and cornbread. Apple pie for dessert.
I regret to say that I do not. I wish I were able to share some sentimental, touching or funny Christmas memories, but that would be someone else's life, not mine.

Thanks, wit-nit!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 12-25-2016 at 12:13 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 11:32 PM

38,869 posts, read 22,854,503 times
How appropriate I land on my favorite QOTD slot on Christmas Day. It's a gift!

1- Did you put up a tree this year? Yes.

2- Was it a real fresh cut tree or an artificial tree? Artificial.

3- Did you hang a wreath on a outside door or elsewhere? On the front door.

4- Did you display any outdoor lights? Yes.

5- Did you put out a blow-up Santa or other blow-up doll? No.

6- Did you participate in any Christmas party? No.

7- Did you sing any Christmas songs? No.

8- Did you watch any Christmas shows or movies? No.

10- Did you travel anywhere for a Christmas gathering? No, but I'm having guests.

11- How many Christmas cards, if any, did you send? Not very many, like 2 or 3.

12- How many Christmas cards have you received so far? About 6.

13- Did you start celebrating Chanukah and light a menorah? N/A

14- What's for Christmas dinner? Small prime rib roast with roasted potatoes and salad.

15- Do you have any favorite Christmas memories to share? When I was a kid, I got a battery-operated toy car for Christmas. It didn't have any batteries, so my dad had to try finding ANY store open on Christmas day to buy batteries. Thankfully, he found a local drugstore that was open and he bought batteries. I was happy.

To those who celebrate, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Old 12-25-2016, 02:45 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
1- Did you put up a tree this year? - Nope

2- Was it a real fresh cut tree or an artificial tree? - N/A

3- Did you hang a wreath on a outside door or elsewhere? - Nope

4- Did you display any outdoor lights? - No, I live in an apartment anyway...

5- Did you put out a blow-up Santa or other blow-up doll? -

6- Did you participate in any Christmas party? - Nope

8- Did you watch any Christmas shows or movies? - Never as an adult...

9- Did you eat any delicious fruitcake? - I did not

10- Did you travel anywhere for a Christmas gathering? - No

11- How many Christmas cards, if any, did you send? - Zero

12- How many Christmas cards have you received so far? - I got 3 holiday cards, if that counts. Two were online cards sent to me by a cousin and the other was from my new manager who gave everyone on the crew one. The nice welcoming message was appreciated.

13- Did you start celebrating Chanukah and light a menorah? - N/A

14- What's for Christmas dinner? - Tonight's dinner will be two chicken breasts, Sauteed mushrooms, fresh steamed broccoli, rice, and a dinner roll.

15- Do you have any favorite Christmas memories to share? - EDIT - I thought of one: I got a bicycle one year. I meant a lot because it was a little freedom.

Thanks, wit-nit.
I hope everyone enjoys their day!

Last edited by John13; 12-25-2016 at 03:18 AM..

Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,490 times

1- Did you put up a tree this year? I did. Now whether it's standing straight or not is another matter.

2- Was it a real fresh cut tree or an artificial tree? It's a beautiful fresh cut tree. For the past several years we've gone to a Christmas tree farm where we wander the fields, looking for and cutting down our trees.

3- Did you hang a wreath on a outside door or elsewhere? Did

4- Did you display any outdoor lights? Didn't

5- Did you put out a blow-up Santa or other blow-up doll? Never have

6- Did you participate in any Christmas party? A few and today we'll have Christmas with extended family in the house we grew up in.

7- Did you sing any Christmas songs? To myself only. I found out there was a group carol at a nearby church and would have gone if I'd known earlier.

8- Did you watch any Christmas shows or movies? Haven't this year

9- Did you eat any delicious fruitcake? Never had any DELICIOUS fruitcake

10- Did you travel anywhere for a Christmas gathering? Several, though not far. Last night was across town, maybe nine miles, to my cousin's home.

11- How many Christmas cards, if any, did you send? None

12- How many Christmas cards have you received so far? I'd guess about a dozen.

13- Did you start celebrating Chanukah and light a menorah? Didn't, though have several friends who did.

14- What's for Christmas dinner? Turkey, roast pork, potatoes, squash....

15- Do you have any favorite Christmas memories to share? I loved going to the midnight service at church on Christmas Eve. Haven't been for a while, but something I'd like my grands to experience.

Holiday travelers pun:

Christmas quote:

Happy holidays, all!

Old 12-25-2016, 04:17 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
'Twas the morning of Christmas, when all thro' the house
Not a creature was stirring.... some quietness before the day begins!!

11- How many Christmas cards, if any, did you send? four

12- How many Christmas cards have you received so far? about ten

14- What's for Christmas dinner? It will be quite a feast at my cousin's home.

Holiday travelers pun:

Wishing you a Merry Jingle Bell kind of day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics