Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM

7,359 posts, read 2,756,202 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Actress and author Carrie Fisher died this Tuesday the 27th.
Then her mom Debbie Reynolds died the following day.
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you?
I usually hear about the deaths on the news. There have been several that made impressions on me. There are many authors that have made an impression on me.

Bonus Section:
I remember seeing Star Wars in a crowded theater in 1977.
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78?
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" I enjoyed the movie.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing?
Singing In The Rain is the first movie I can remember seeing. I loved it then and I love it now.
Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? No

From ticket prices to concessions to annoying moviegoers or anything else big or small,
do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? I remember at 16 going on my first date to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Sadly the boy died almost 10 years ago. We stayed good friends.

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay?

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? Yes and yes
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? table
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? Used to...not so much anymore. They are becoming much harder to get out of.

Thanks bjh. I hope you are all enjoying your afternoon/evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 03:23 PM

44,415 posts, read 20,170,268 times
Today's Question(s):
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you? Ah, there are so many. It's hard to choose just one or even a few. The biggest impression on me was when John F. Kennedy died, even though I was only 9 at the time. That day and the few days following are etched in my memory.

I also remember how sad I was when I learned that Jim Croche died. I was home from college for the weekend and was alone in the house, on my hands and knees washing the kitchen floor, when I heard it on the radio. I sat there and cried and cried. It was so sad.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? Yepper. I was so amazed at the state-of-the-art technology. It was a real eye-popper and a great story line as well.
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" The first movie was the best, for the reasons stated above. I saw the second one, but haven't seen any of the prequels or sequels since then.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? I remember my aunt taking me to a movie theater to see Gone With The Wind when I was in second or third grade. Not really a movie for little kids, and I remember being terrified when they showed the scene of hundreds of wounded and dead Civil War soldiers. Except for that, I liked the movie and for decades it was my favorite movie. I've seen a couple in the past 10 years or so that rival it as my favorite.

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? Yes, but not ones I saw in theatres; just ones I'd intended to watch at home.

From ticket prices to concessions to annoying moviegoers or anything else big or small,
do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? Yes. Way back when I was a teen, I was at a movie with some friends and someone in the row behind us, carrying a cardboard thingy with several beverages in it, tripped and the drinks spilled all over my friends and me. We were drenched, and it was right at the beginning of the movie.

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay? YEA! YAY! YEA!

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? I've heard of chicory but don't recall whether I've ever tasted it.

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? Booth. I like the privacy and also it helps me hear better. (I'm deaf in one ear and background noise makes it harder for me to concentrate on a conversation.)
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? They're okay, as long as I don't end up all the way in the corner. I get claustrophobic when I'm in a place that I can't get out of quickly.

Today's Bonus Quote:
"I live right in front of my daughter. I have a little house right in front of her because
I can stay in touch. It's like a little commune, and it's very nice, because you can be
close. I can see my granddaughter. I live very close to my brother, too, and my son. We're a very close family." ~ Debbie Reynolds Sweet. Both will be missed by millions.

Today’s Word:
nexus [NEK-suh s] noun
a connected series or group; tie; link
Origin: Latin "nectere" to bind
The "nect" in "connect" is from the same root.
I knew that!

Today Includes:
YMCA Day, the organization - not the song Used to be a great organization. I'm not sure what they do now besides run fitness centers.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-29-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,619,808 times
Hello all!

Computer issues. Ugh!

Strap on your flying helmets. Here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you?
2016 has been a terrible year in terms of celebrity deaths. I'm not sure if it's been worse than previous years, or if I am more acutely aware of it because many of the people who have died this year were people my generation held so dear; David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Prince, Florence Henderson, Gene Wilder...

Bonus Section:
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?"
I saw Star Wars when it first came out, and while all my friends were all hung up on Mark Hamill, he was too pretty for me. I couldn't take my eyes off Harrison Ford!

Still love Star Wars. And Harrison Ford!

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing?
Saw all the LOTR movies, all the Lethal Weapons, and all the Harry Potters.

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand?
The Kate Winslett movie The Reader, and the Nicole Kidman movie The Others were both ruined for me by movie reviewers. To be fair, I heard the reviews long after the movies came out, and it was assumed everyone who wanted to had already seen the movies. Saw The Reader and loved it. Still want to see The Others.

do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind?

The first time I saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It was, of course, a midnight show, I was 17, hanging with an older crowd, and drunk. When I was actually able to see the movie later, I only remembered two scenes.

Foodie Questions:
Back in my meat-eating days, yea!

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it?
I have had coffee with chicory in it. I didn't really notice much difference from the regular coffee. Mustn't have been much chicory in it.

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table?
Booth
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people?
Sometimes. SOmetimes it's hard for the middle person to get out if necessary.

Top Music Hits This Day:
1945 Sammy Kaye - Chickery Chick
1958 Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Song
1961 Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
1978 Chic - Le Freak
1984 Madonna - Like a Virgin
1997 Elton John - Something About The Way You Look Tonight

First Published on This Day:
1782 1st nautical almanac in US published by Samuel Stearns, Boston
1916 James Joyce's 1st novel "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"

Today's Quote:
“If anything, my mother taught me how to sur-thrive. That's my word for it.”
~ Carrie Fisher, actress

Today's Bonus Quote:
"I live right in front of my daughter. I have a little house right in front of her because
I can stay in touch. It's like a little commune, and it's very nice, because you can be
close. I can see my granddaughter. I live very close to my brother, too, and my son. We're a very close family."
~ Debbie Reynolds
Two family members in 24 hours, I just cannot imagine what this family is going through right now. I am holding them close in my heart.

Today’s Word:
nexus [NEK-suh s] noun
a connected series or group; tie; link
Origin: Latin "nectere" to bind
The "nect" in "connect" is from the same root.

Today Includes:
YMCA Day, the organization - not the song

Today's Stately Picture:
Oklahoma. View of Wichita Mountains from Mount Scott.
Made freely available on flickr.com by jonathanw100.
Beautiful pic. Thanx for including it.

Happy Thursday! May the force be with us all.
Same to you bjh. Thanx for the Qs!
Have a good one everyone!

Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,155,702 times
Today's Question(s):

The recent loss of John Glenn was hard for me. The reminder that those of the Greatest Generation are leaving & my children & grandchildren are growing up in a world without heros.

Bonus Section:
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" My Uncle George took my sister & I to see it in a Denver theatre when I was 9 & I thought both it (the movie) & I were about the "coolest" things on earth! Along with my uncle; that is. He's still a cool dude but I haven't really kept up with the ongoing Star Wars movies.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? I actually saw the black & white "Tarantula" (1955) & "Reefer Madness" (1936). I loved Romeo & Juliet (1968).

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? No; I'm usually not paying attention anyway (it's one of my many flaws).

I really enjoyed being my own movie date when I was pregnant with my twin girls; now I always have to get those seats with the aisle in front because I like putting my feet up the rail.

Foodie Questions:

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it?
No

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table?
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? Yes

Old 12-30-2016, 12:20 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,301 posts, read 30,535,071 times
Strap on your flying helmets. Here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
Someone asked if I'd heard that Princess Diana had been in a car crash and saying she's probably okay.
Short time later turned on the TV and saw that she had died. That was a surprise. All of 36 years old.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? Yep.
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?"
I like Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back, but lost interest after those two.

Extra Credit:
Titanic. Finally saw it after it ran for a long time. Still a very crowded theater.

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand?
Yes, someone told me all the details of a movie once. That's how I learned that's no fun.

Someone said theaters are smaller. Yes, I remember big theaters. When there was a
really good movie it was great to see it with a lot of people in a crowded theater.

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay? I say yeah!

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? Yes, it was good.

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? I like booths, though I like to be on the outside seat.
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? Yes, I like.

May the Force be with us all.

Wishing everyone a happy New Year and a satisfactory Groundhog Day, really really early.

Last edited by bjh; 12-30-2016 at 12:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics