Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 07:34 AM

8,661 posts, read 9,199,019 times

Advertisements

Never heard of a swamp cooler. I grew up in the mid Atlantic....In my area at least, in the DC area, I remember around construction sites and road work, before the battery powered blinking lights resting on construction horses they used kerosene lanterns, and black metals balls with a flame at the top of the ball. The balls looked like one of those old fashion hand grenades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 07:59 AM

9,799 posts, read 14,371,392 times
I remember the old 1948 Ford my boyfriend had with a make-shift radio hook-up. He installed the large battery for the radio between the driver and passenger in the front seat. It made it quite inconvenient for us to sit close, or we would get tangled up in the battery wiring, resulting in losing the connection to our 50's music.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:14 AM

11,099 posts, read 7,080,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Never heard of a swamp cooler. I grew up in the mid Atlantic....In my area at least, in the DC area, I remember around construction sites and road work, before the battery powered blinking lights resting on construction horses they used kerosene lanterns, and black metals balls with a flame at the top of the ball. The balls looked like one of those old fashion hand grenades.
Very interesting. I think swamp coolers are for extremely hot places during humid season. In AZ that's July through September (monsoon season). Swamp coolers are pretty much a thing of the past, though. The casita I briefly rented was old.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:42 AM

33,066 posts, read 36,727,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Very interesting. I think swamp coolers are for extremely hot places during humid season. In AZ that's July through September (monsoon season). Swamp coolers are pretty much a thing of the past, though. The casita I briefly rented was old.
They're used in arid areas. They add moisture to the air. Some people still use them at least once in a while.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-...amp-cooler.htm

Old 11-22-2022, 09:58 AM

53,515 posts, read 35,221,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They're used in arid areas. They add moisture to the air. Some people still use them at least once in a while.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-...amp-cooler.htm
they do far more than just add moisture - they actively cool the air.

my grandpa had one of these hanging on the front of his pickup. water squeezes out of the tiny holes and evaporates.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...bag-cool-water

at highway speed it would easily lower the temp of the water to 30-40 degrees lower than the surrounding air temperature.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:11 AM
SFX

1,654 posts, read 923,215 times
(Off topic scientific side note) - evaporation is also what keep our bodies cool, and the entire planet cool. The lower the humidity the better it works.. Swamp coolers work best in dry climates, but even with high humidity, a fan blowing over a wet towel offers some cooling. So does a fan blowing on your sweat drenched hair and body. (I grew up in Florida, no air conditioning)

Hey, that brought this right back on topic.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:28 PM

15,651 posts, read 9,327,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I grew up in the mid Atlantic....In my area at least, in the DC area, I remember around construction sites and road work, before the battery powered blinking lights resting on construction horses they used kerosene lanterns, and black metals balls with a flame at the top of the ball. The balls looked like one of those old fashion hand grenades.
Smudge pot road flares. As a kid I always thought they looked so eerie. The glowing fires in the middle of the street with black smoke coming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-ZCuTuu8U

Old 11-22-2022, 11:53 PM
SFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone-2-Beach View Post
OK. How about an "I Remember" trivia question.

Name the first husband and wife who appeared in the same bed in prime time television history!
This may already be somewhere in the thread, but it's still a good one.

Name the show that had the first interracial kiss on prime time television

Bonus points if you can name the episode.

Nobody gets any points for naming the actors or the characters they were playing.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:52 AM

899 posts, read 687,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
This may already be somewhere in the thread, but it's still a good one.

Name the show that had the first interracial kiss on prime time television

Bonus points if you can name the episode.

Nobody gets any points for naming the actors or the characters they were playing.
I've heard Star Trek cited. However...

The first interracial kiss on television is debated, with several examples identified in the 1950s. For example, Shatner had another interracial kiss more than 10 years earlier on a 1958 episode of The Ed Sullivan Show, when he kissed France Nuyen, a person of Asian ancestry. This was during a scene from the Broadway production of The World of Suzie Wong.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_and_Uhura%27s_kiss

Old 11-23-2022, 10:12 AM
SFX

Interesting!

I must become more skeptical. So many things everybody "knows is true" end up not being true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics