Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM

969 posts, read 2,853,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wore out a couple of her records when I was a preschooler; my favorite was "Fun in ShariLand," with Shari wearing a turquoise sweater and holding Charlie Horse over her shoulder (I tried to find a picture of the record, but came up empty).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 09:51 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I remember getting jelly in the Howdy Doody jars that when emptied were drinking glasses.

Anybody remember spoolies? They were little rubber thingies that you wrapped your hair around the middle and then pulled the top half down over the bottom to secure.

And going to bed with a head full of brush rollers (what was I thinking?)

And rushing home from school to watch Bandstand with Dick Clark.

Safety Patrol with those webbed sashes.

Sending away for what turned out to be boxes of greeting cards you were expected to sell (and hiding them in my closet until the threatening letters started showing up and I had to 'fess up to my dad...)

Weejun loafers that caused major blisters

50 yard petticoats

White buck shoes and "bunny pads" full of talc to keep them clean

Metal lunch boxes to take to school

Diagraming sentences in English class

Memorizing the "times tables" - do they still do that?

Tangee lipstick

Evening in Paris

And the oh so charming leisure suits for men - where were Stacy and Clinton when they were really needed?

When you wrote to a boyfriend you put S.W.A.K on the back and put the stamp on upside down

Trying to decipher the words to "Louie, Louie"
My father had a men's cologne called "Golden Showers"

Anyone remember Falls? It was a wig consisting of long hair you'd attach to the back of your head. I always had short curly hair, and desparately wanted long flowing locks. When I was nine years old I placed a deposit on a fall. The store called my father asking for the balance due. Not easy to explain that to my parents. Needless to say I never had a fall.

I remember long distance calls came at a high price. I made a long distance call once when I was a kid. Someone in CT had a long haired cat for sale, pure-bred and a ton of money. Whew, I dodged an early death that time. Guess I was a real wheeler dealer, back in the day.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,578,938 times
I'm so old I remember my mother using 'Evening In Paris' cologne, Ponds facial cream, Toni permanents (which twin has the Toni?). Switching from low beams to brights by pushing button on the floor board. Giving 'turn signals' by sticking your arm out of the window, even in cold, rainy weather!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,378,206 times
water rockets with a pump, I had more fun with that cheap toy.
eating egg custard at the custard stand in PA.
Lums hotdogs steamed in beer.
when Disney World First Opened, driving in through Kissimmee when it was nothing but dirt roads.
In the 60's I remember getting Mercury Dimes, Franklin Halfs and the occasional Peace Dollar in change at the store.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I remember long distance calls came at a high price.
I remember that, too. Via exactly ONE telephone company, AT & T

Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
True-I'm so old I remember when "MaBell" was it for phone service!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
I’m so old I remember Ma’Bell wasn’t married but had about 10 ~12 children each operating in different regions of the nation. Oooooh the good’ol days

Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m so old I remember Ma’Bell wasn’t married but had about 10 ~12 children each operating in different regions of the nation. Oooooh the good’ol days
Funny, what a tramp she was.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Default Just dial zero for help

I also remember that you could dial 0 from any phone from any location in the country and a lady would HELP you with most anything from an emergency to a phone number, or just good information on most anything. The smaller the town the better the information got and the nicer the lady was.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:21 PM

41,979 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Switching from low beams to brights by pushing button on the floor board.
And in the case of my '73 Mercury Comet, having your foot go through the floorboard when switching on the brights ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics