Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 08:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

I can remember when my brother bought one of first transistor radios ;it was made by Zenith. I couldn't believe he paid 190 dollars for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 08:48 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I remember when everything was made in Taiwan, not China.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:26 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
My transistor radio had been made in Taiwan.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
There were many stylish pocket radios, like this beautiful Toshiba:

However, my radio was much more modest, something like this one:

I remember the bass was non-existent but the volume was good. It was a gift at Christmas, and I left on a troop transport shortly thereafter. We stopped at Hawaii but just a few of us left the ship, as we hadn't been paid and we were broke.

My buddy talked me into donating blood, for which you received $5. However, at the last minute I was turned down because of a recent tattoo. Reluctantly, I sold my radio for $5, and we then headed straight to a bar. The legal drinking age was 18, and both of us were only 17, but the fact that we were wearing our uniforms saved the day. We each had 4 beers, with change leftover.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:36 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times
^^^^^^^^^I had a little transistor radio (looked like the second one) it was white and it came in a little white vinyl case with a carry strap and ear plug. That was such a cool thing to have back then.

As kids we use to call the rock radio station and request a song then wait & wait by the little radio for the song to come on. They usually played our request, it was such a celebration when they did !

Old 03-16-2015, 05:17 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,507,453 times
I'm so old I remember... Cursing on a Saturday night... AM radio and the crackle as you listen do -wop No FM in my days..

Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
^^^^^^^^^I had a little transistor radio (looked like the second one) it was white and it came in a little white vinyl case with a carry strap and ear plug. That was such a cool thing to have back then.

As kids we use to call the rock radio station and request a song then wait & wait by the little radio for the song to come on. They usually played our request, it was such a celebration when they did !
As teens we'd call in the songs we wanted to hear & hit record on our cassette players sitting next to the radio speakers to have the song on tape for free too. Once you got good you'd it stop before the DJ started talking again.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
I'm so old I remember when, if you wanted to record off your transistor radio, you had to use a reel-to-reel tape recorder! Cassettes hadn't been invented yet.

I had a little battery-operated Aiwa model that used 2-inch reels. The record and playback speed would vary depending on how fresh the batteries were, which could create some very interesting effects.

Here's my transistor radio, the one I got as a Christmas present in 1961. This isn't the same one, but I found a duplicate in a thrift shop for $10. It required those old block-shaped 9 volt batteries that aren't made any more, but I found an adaptor kit so it now runs on today's 9 volt batteries, and it still sounds great.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,507,453 times
I'm so old I remember... When you had no zip off tops or twist off tops.. only a instrument named a church key to open a bottle or can.. Everything came in glass no plastic containers pop-ketchup-mustard which had a brush or stick affixed to the lid. Milk came in a glass bottle quart size only with a card board cap. Potato Chips came in a very large can with a wax paper bag inside. The can had a deposit on it. No fast food places unless you went to the BIG City.. and you walked up to a outdoor counter to order and sat on concrete bench and table this was the start of the famous Arches C Cola-fries & Big M was forty eight cents wrapped in wax paper and a wax paper sleeve for the fries paper straw. The other place W Castle was near the bus station or train station. Thirty five cents for six sliders - fries ten cents - and C Cola in a glass was ten cent. Woolworth lunch counter. Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup was forty five cents and served on a china dish & bowl with silverware no plastic along with a glass of C Cola on ice another ten cent.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I'm so old I remember... When you had no zip off tops or twist off tops.. only a instrument named a church key to open a bottle or can.. Everything came in glass no plastic containers pop-ketchup-mustard which had a brush or stick affixed to the lid. Milk came in a glass bottle quart size only with a card board cap. Potato Chips came in a very large can with a wax paper bag inside. The can had a deposit on it. No fast food places unless you went to the BIG City.. and you walked up to a outdoor counter to order and sat on concrete bench and table this was the start of the famous Arches C Cola-fries & Big M was forty eight cents wrapped in wax paper and a wax paper sleeve for the fries paper straw. The other place W Castle was near the bus station or train station. Thirty five cents for six sliders - fries ten cents - and C Cola in a glass was ten cent. Woolworth lunch counter. Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup was forty five cents and served on a china dish & bowl with silverware no plastic along with a glass of C Cola on ice another ten cent.

Ohhh, that makes sense- thanks for this info!- Whenever I see retro t.v. shows with large families, I always wonder why they had those small quart sizes! There were no half-gallons or gallons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics