Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 08:37 PM

15,651 posts, read 9,327,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Food delivery services and even your small local pizza joint have portable wireless debit machines, like we do in pubs and restaurants. Most pay and tip by credit or debit, so no real need for a lot of change.
When I retired 10 years ago about 50% of customers paid with bank cards / checks and 50% with cash. I believe that from polls I've seen, the number of people using cash is now down to about 1/3. That is still a lot of people paying with cash. Also a lot of people who pay with bank cards, still tip with cash. If those people are tipping with $1 and $2 coins, that has got to be a PITA for the delivery person.

I remember watching homeless people panhandle in San Francisco 20 - 30 years ago, and even they hated coins. They wanted paper money. The coins would fill up their pockets, then they would have to stop and walk into a bank every hour or so to convert the change into cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 09:01 PM

I have a good one. I remember my mother shopping for meat in a butcher shop. We lived in a small town that still had a vibrant Main Street with mom-and-pop shops that had been in business since my great-grandfather founded the town. My mother would go to the butcher shop everyday to buy fresh meat for our dinner. My mother would pick the meat out of the display case and the butcher would chop it up for her right there, and then wrap it up in white paper. Then it was a stop at the bakery across the street to buy fresh baked bread and rolls. I remember when we moved away and my mother had to start buying supermarket meat, she always complained about how poor the quality of the meat was. I don't think I have ever seen another butcher shop since then. I guess they exist, but I have never seen one.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:46 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,433,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have a good one. I remember my mother shopping for meat in a butcher shop. We lived in a small town that still had a vibrant Main Street with mom-and-pop shops that had been in business since my great-grandfather founded the town. My mother would go to the butcher shop everyday to buy fresh meat for our dinner. My mother would pick the meat out of the display case and the butcher would chop it up for her right there, and then wrap it up in white paper. Then it was a stop at the bakery across the street to buy fresh baked bread and rolls. I remember when we moved away and my mother had to start buying supermarket meat, she always complained about how poor the quality of the meat was. I don't think I have ever seen another butcher shop since then. I guess they exist, but I have never seen one.

I remember those, too. We used to be able to get fresh killed chickens that still had the insides--they still had to be de-gutted. We used to hold the whole chickens over the stove to burn off the tiny hairs and pin feathers left on them.

We had a couple of tiny neighborhood grocery stores around, too, where we could buy bread and milk and a few other things we might run out of during the week before our weekly trip to a real grocery store about a mile away.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:48 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,433,345 times
I remember when we had to lick the stamps to get them to stick to the envelope.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I remember those, too. We used to be able to get fresh killed chickens that still had the insides--they still had to be de-gutted. We used to hold the whole chickens over the stove to burn off the tiny hairs and pin feathers left on them.

We had a couple of tiny neighborhood grocery stores around, too, where we could buy bread and milk and a few other things we might run out of during the week before our weekly trip to a real grocery store about a mile away.
I don't remember chicken like that. The butcher that my mother went to would prepare all the meat while my mother waited, and have it ready for cooking. He would cut stakes to what thickness my mother asked for. He would place white paper on the scale and grind the exact amount of hamburger meat right onto the paper, and then wrap it up. But pork he didn't grind fresh for some reason. He always had a tray of that already ground up in the display case. I remember because he would sculpture it into the shape of a pig for the display. I always got a kick out of seeing that. LOL.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:00 AM

4,217 posts, read 3,155,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I remember when we had to lick the stamps to get them to stick to the envelope.
It was before my time, but I remember my grandparents talking about when they had to use mucilage of the stamps, because they had no adhesive.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:22 AM

24,644 posts, read 26,203,441 times
When some streets were paved with bricks.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,702,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
When I retired 10 years ago about 50% of customers paid with bank cards / checks and 50% with cash. I believe that from polls I've seen, the number of people using cash is now down to about 1/3. That is still a lot of people paying with cash. Also a lot of people who pay with bank cards, still tip with cash. If those people are tipping with $1 and $2 coins, that has got to be a PITA for the delivery person.

I remember watching homeless people panhandle in San Francisco 20 - 30 years ago, and even they hated coins. They wanted paper money. The coins would fill up their pockets, then they would have to stop and walk into a bank every hour or so to convert the change into cash.
It may be different in Canada. I don't want to go off topic, but the whole history of banking and bank/debit cards was totally different than the US. Canada from the beginning of debit cards we had a national system called Interac which made it possible to use a debit card at ANY bank machine ( ATM ) and ANY point of sell device across the whole country.

This meant that Canadians took to the new technology with ease. Writing checks ( cheques ) in Canada even 10 years ago, for purchase was practically non-existent. Tipping etc, was built in, and people do use it over cash.
Your average pizza delivery person isn't going to be weighed down too much.

Anyway, I'm so old that I remember having to rush to the bank on Friday before they closed at 3pm for the entire weekend. If you didn't you have to rely on friends for cash until Monday.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:03 PM

19,481 posts, read 15,380,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I remember when I started to school anyone who lived within 2 miles of the schoolhouse had to walk. No buses for even first graders within 2 miles of their classrooms.
Our house was situated so that we walked to grade school, jr. high (about a mile away), and high school. The only time I was ever on a school bus was for field trips. Now I avoid driving near even the high schools around here when they let out. Major traffic headache.

For some reason, talking about schools reminded me of that granular soap we had to wash our grubby little hands with. Someone has probably already mentioned that.

And then that reminded me of the fact that, in kindergarten, our restrooms were actually inside the classroom. The rest of the grades, the restrooms were at the end of the halls. Is this the case for most schools, then or now? Maybe more prone to accidents at that age?

Old 01-31-2020, 02:14 PM

33,066 posts, read 36,727,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
When some streets were paved with bricks.
I remember those. The main roads had been paved over with asphalt, but the alleys were still brick.

https://discussion.roadscholar.org/b...n-cobblestones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics