Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Well it is Monday and thats about all I am going to say on that subject

Yesterday while I was reading the posts in our daily exercise thread(stop by and say "hi") and read something that made the ole lightbulb go on telling me hey this would be a perfect

Todays question:

What was your biggest car "oops"

Today in history:
May 5,1847 - The American Medical Association was organized in Philadelphia, PA. Go sit in your doctor’s waiting room to celebrate...
May 5, 1891 Music Hall (Now known as Carnegie Hall) opens in New York, Tchaikovsky as guest conductor
May 5, 1962 West Side Story soundtrack album goes to #1 and stays #1 for 54 weeks which is more than 20 weeks longer than any other album.- hmm I think I still have this album.

Word of the day
:
fustian \FUHS-chuhn\, noun:
An inflated style of writing or speech; pompous or pretentious language.

Today is:
National Hoagie Day
and
Cinco de Mayo
which might be why it is also
National Totally Chipotle Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Morning Karla and all-don't know if you mean purchase or "an oops". If it's purchase-in 1976 we bought a lime green Pacer-why for ther life of me I don't know-no a/c and with those bubble windows it was a microwave on wheels.

An "oops" I had-my first car was a Kharman Ghia conv. DH and I were dating, he was in the Coast Guard and I went to the base to visit him. When leaving guess the sun was right in my eyes I hit a boat that was on stantions and knocked it over!!! Guys on his boat went to tell him and he just rolled his eyes and said "Figured it was her!"

Happy Cinco de Mayo.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:48 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
Well, Karla, not really sure what you mean by car "oops". So, I'll just take a stab and tell you that I had a date with this guy that I'd been flirting with at the office for quite some time, we went to a company picnic together, I got sick at the picnic and he had to bring me home early. He had a very very nice car that he was quite proud of, it was a very hot mobile, I told him to pull over, I didn't think I was going to make it home, well he did not get pulled over fast enough, and I barfed all over that gorgeous carpet!

And as sick as I was, I cleaned it up when we got to my home. First & last date.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
Quote:
He had a very very nice car that he was quite proud of, it was a very hot mobile, I told him to pull over, I didn't think I was going to make it home, well he did not get pulled over fast enough, and I barfed all over that gorgeous carpet!
This happened to me,I was on my first date with my first husband.I drank a little too much....oops........

Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
My biggest car OOPS came many years ago when I borrowed my father's car on a Friday night to take my future wife out to dinner. We lived in a Bronx apartment so we parked on the street and the space the car had been in was not available when I returned. I parked on a wide side street with a slight incline.

The next morning, I woke up to hear my father yelling and wondered what had happened. Well, we had an ice storm over night. There had been an ambulance that was struggling to make it up the icy incline so the driver stopped parallel to my father's car. There was also a pedestrian who probably had a little too much to drink who was trying to cross the street. He slipped in front of the ambulance and used the ambulance to steady himself getting up. As he leaned on the ambulance, on the wet icy road, he pushed the ambulance right into the side of my father's car and put a huge dent into the driver's side of his car.

Had I NOT borrowed the car the night before and changed the parking space ... PS!!!

Charley

Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
OK, since I'm the reason for today's ? o' the day, I'll tell you what inspired Karla.

One day recently, I decided to go to the pool while DH was snoozing. I went out into the garage, jumped into the golf cart and put it in reverse. Until about 7 years ago, I wore coke bottle glasses and, as a result, don't have any periferal (sp?) vision. I thought I was clear, gunned the gas (that cart can move, baby!) and suddenly heard this scraping sound. Yep. I hit the car with the cart. And not just a little tiny scratch, nnoooooo. A big, honkin' scratch that peeled the paint right off our nice, white car. So, now we have a 4-inch black scratch down the right front fender. The plan was not to say anything to DH and tell him it must have been somebody at the store who ran into it with their car or cart. Well, it took the goof about a week and a half to notice it. Sure enough, we're coming out of Publix. I headed for the car, and he started saying, "that's not our car." Yes, dear, it is. "No, it's not. Look at that scratch! OMG, somebody scratched our car! That SOB! Rant, rant, rant." Well, he got so upset. Me? I just stood there, watching. Finally, I said, "Hon? I can't lie to you. I did it with the golf cart." Once he found out it was his klutzy wife, he calmed down. You see, the cart and I don't have a harmonious relationship. I've run over the garbage can, backed out of the garage while the cart was still plugged in (it's electric and rechargeable), and all sorts of stupid stuff. They call me Crash. Wonder why.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
Somehow I broke the high beams button off. This was when the button was on the floor of a car. I had just started driving and the button was in the high beam position and I had cars flashing me to the point I was crying. My father told me that it was IMPOSSIBLE to break one of those but I DID IT!!!!!

Ah..West Side Story...my how things have changed in gangland........

Happy Cinco De Mayo Day!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Red face Car rolling into street was a big "oops!"

Somehow many years ago, I was at a service station and I guess I didn't have the car in the right gear. It began rolling off in the street. It was actually in the street rolling and I was chasing it down. Praying like mad. This guy saw what was happening and came to my rescue. He helped me "corral" the wayward car. I shudder to think what might have happened if he hadn't helped me!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times
I have a big oops. When I first got my drivers license a red light kept coming on, it was annoying to me so I put a piece of duct tape over it. Some time passes and the car isn't running right so I tell my dad. He asks about the tape, tell him the red light was annoying me. Long story short it was the oil light, what did I know???? I don't exactly remember the outcome but I had my car back in a few days. To this day I ALWAYS check my oil!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:38 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Todays question:

What was your biggest car "oops"
Biggest car ooops.. when I was 19, I was working under the hood of my 1967 Chrysler, I took the air filter top off, placed it on top of the battery, and shorted both terminals out.. There was an explosion and both battery caps went flying right off and of course, battery acid went flying out of the battery. Thankfully, the air cleaner top, which was about 20 inches in diameter, shielded me from the acid.

Another oops, and a very big oops I might add, was buying a 1978 Fiat X-19 Bertone in 1983. It was an Italian 2-seater sports car (A poor man's Ferrari ) , but unfortunately, it didn't run like a sports car; it spent more time in the shop than on the road! I found out that Fiat stood for "Fix It Again Tony" . Thankfully, I still had my 1979 Camaro Z-28 back then, which also started having engine problems at 79,000 miles. I got rid of the Fiat and the Camaro in late 1985, and I got an almost brand new red and black 1984 Mustang GT, with the 5.0 engine, and T-top. That was one car I never regretted buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics