Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 12:49 AM

12,654 posts, read 2,998,951 times

Advertisements

What are you doing this weekend?

Have you ever owned a horse or wished you could?

When you were young was there a store or place you and your sibs or friends could go to buy a drink or a piece of candy?

Before you could drive where did you hang out even if it was at someone's house?

If you got an allowance growing up how much was it?

Did you ever sneak money, even change, from either of your parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 01:04 AM

62,033 posts, read 87,741,405 times

Going to visit my son's family and my grand kids and will stay there for two weeks.

Not really. One could easily join equestrian club and also help tending for the horses.

When you were young was there a store or place you and your sibs or friends could go to buy a drink or a piece of candy?

I used to live in a country with many neighborhood stores and even going to downtown wasn't a big deal. We met often there for a juice, snack, candy/cake or ice cream. Without parental supervision.

Before you could drive where did you hang out even if it was at someone's house?

Where I lived there wasn't a need to drive. Everything was (and still is) easily accessible per foot, bike or public transportation. We met in someone's house, numerous and various activity clubs, city parks, amusement parks, indoors/outdoors sport places, library, movie theater etc...etc..
And again there wasn't a need for parental involvement.

I got everything I needed plus adequate allowances for personal spendings or savings.

What?? I just needed to ask, not steal.

Thank you, PegE!! Great trip down memory lane

Last edited by elnina; 07-09-2022 at 01:25 AM..

Old 07-09-2022, 01:18 AM

21,617 posts, read 8,781,823 times
Not much. Housework, grocery shopping, maybe a little yard work.
No, but I do enjoy riding.
Yes. I had moved 13 times by the time I was 14, but wherever I lived there was nearly always a little grocery store within walking distance that sold treats like that.
At home, mostly, or at a school playground.
Age 5 to 11: 25 cents a week
Age 11 to 14: 50 cents a week
Age 14 to 18: $1.00 a week
No, I would never have done that.

Thanks, PegE!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 07-09-2022 at 01:37 AM..

Old 07-09-2022, 01:37 AM

44,689 posts, read 61,830,991 times
What are you doing this weekend? Not much, mostly napping, otherwise no plans.

Have you ever owned a horse or wished you could? We had a palomino horse when I was a youngster.

When you were young was there a store or place you and your sibs or friends could go to buy a drink or a piece of candy? There was a mom & pop store about a block away where we got bubble gum, candy, colas, and other goodies from.

Before you could drive where did you hang out even if it was at someone's house? Mostly a friends house up the street or to the school playground down the road a bit.

If you got an allowance growing up how much was it? Sometimes two-bits if I was really lucky.

Did you ever sneak money, even change, from either of your parents? Nooooo, I valued my life.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:51 AM

37,818 posts, read 41,123,733 times
What are you doing this weekend? Took care of a few things yesterday so besides grocery shopping, nothing.

Have you ever owned a horse or wished you could? No and no.

When you were young was there a store or place you and your sibs or friends could go to buy a drink or a piece of candy? Yes, there was a candy store with a soda fountain that was in bike riding distance and in those days non-city parents didn't watch us like hawks. They just told you what time to be home for dinner. I usually bought a comic book, my friends bought candy and then we went for a slice of pizza and a soda in the local pizza parlor.

Before you could drive where did you hang out even if it was at someone's house? We hung out in finished basements and listened to and danced to 45 rpm records. Sometimes we hung out on the stoops.

If you got an allowance growing up how much was it? Didn't get one.

Did you ever sneak money, even change, from either of your parents? I just kept my school lunch money and didn't eat. Mother snooped around, found it and beat the crap out of me.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:11 AM

11,407 posts, read 9,330,716 times
What are you doing this weekend? - Storms all day today and into tonight. Tomorrow a likely trip to a local farmers market is all I have planned.
There is a local farmers market today that I will likely hit despite the rain as I do need a few things.

Have you ever owned a horse or wished you could? - Unrealistic but sure, would love to.

When you were young was there a store or place you and your sibs or friends could go to buy a drink or a piece of candy? - There were a couple of local stores within walking distance.

Before you could drive where did you hang out even if it was at someone's house? - I remember a couple of those too.

If you got an allowance growing up how much was it? - Nothing steady, only a very small amount here and there up until age 12 when I got my first job delivering newspapers. I also did some side jobs like yard work and delivering store advertising door to door.

Did you ever sneak money, even change, from either of your parents? - I never did that but I remember my father stealing money from me!

Once I found a small amount of loose change in a chair and I kept that. It was a rare time I was happy which is why I just remembered.

Thanks, PegE! Great questions!

Old 07-09-2022, 03:35 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,011,243 times
Sweating. Temps expected 104 -105
Yes, and no I never wished I could. lol
Many. Most i still remember.
I had a motorcycle at 14. Was pretty free to roam. So i did.
Ugh.. possibly thought of some as an allowance but as kids we had our ways. Selling bottles, pecans etc.
Not that i recall.

Thanks PegE!

Old 07-09-2022, 03:46 AM

126,384 posts, read 19,145,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
What are you doing this weekend? .........This weekend long distance cycling with a group

Have you ever owned a horse or wished you could? .........Yes I have

When you were young was there a store or place you and your sibs or friends could go to buy a drink or a piece of candy? ........No but mother always had cookies for us home baked

Before you could drive where did you hang out even if it was at someone's house? .......Friends place and later spend after school lots of time at the dojo

If you got an allowance growing up how much was it? ..........I was given what was needed and a little extra for learning how to use and save money

Did you ever sneak money, even change, from either of your parents?...........Never

Thank you Peg

Old 07-09-2022, 04:25 AM

14,858 posts, read 8,187,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Catching up of some housework and some Zzzzz's.
No, and no...but there are horses all over this city...you can drive for miles and see lots of Horse farms with million dollar thoroughbred's out grazing, the Horse Park, etc.

Link

https://www.visitlex.com/things-to-d...se-farm-tours/

Several friends houses that I probably lived at as much time as I did my own home.
If I needed money all I had to do was ask, my parents were generous about that.
I would have never done that. Never. If I had, I wouldn't be here to live to tell about it today!
all I had to do was ask for money if I needed it, then I babysat and took fast food jobs as a teenager.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-09-2022 at 04:43 AM..

Old 07-09-2022, 04:45 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,417,813 times
Good Morning

What are you doing this weekend? Today just chillin' and doing some tidy stuff around the house. Tomorrow--I think I will head to D.C. and embrace a museum.

Have you ever owned a horse or wished you could? No interest. Between 13-17 we rented a house on a horse farm that breed horses--that was quite nice.

When you were young was there a store or place you and your sibs or friends could go to buy a drink or a piece of candy? The days of real cherry coke and penny candy!

Before you could drive where did you hang out even if it was at someone's house? There was, but I always felt more comfortable in my own home.

If you got an allowance growing up how much was it? No allowance. I was quite creative so my parents always funded my hobbies of sewing, embroidery, etc.

Did you ever sneak money, even change, from either of your parents? No need. Somehow even with paying for everything they taught me the importance of taking care of myself when I was old enough to earn money. They weren't good with the loving, great parents part. However financially they were good in taking care of my sister and me.

Enjoy your day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics