Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,385,392 times

Advertisements

Good morning, beautiful people! December is nearly half way gone! Amazing.

1. How many holiday parties have you gone to so far?

2. Describe the weather so far this December where you live.

3. If you have or had pets, describe any clothing items they have or had.

4. Tell us about your favorite activity this time of year.

5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not?

6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what?

7. How many candles do you own? Do you prefer scented or unscented? Electric/battery or the actual flame type?

8. Describe your very favorite memory from this time of year.

That's all I've got for today - enjoy! HAPPY HUMP DAY, EVERYONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 07:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,385,392 times
1. How many holiday parties have you gone to so far? I think four.

2. Describe the weather so far this December where you live. Well, the first week was pretty typical December weather for NE Texas - sunny, nippy, nice sweater and boots weather. Then it got all stupid hot and humid, which was weird. We had big storms roll through yesterday and the temps outside are dropping. Snow is actually in our forecast!

3. If you have or had pets, describe any clothing items they have or had. I have often tried to dress my dogs in sweaters when it got cold outside but my dogs all uniformly have hated to wear clothes, and I'd find the sweaters sort of wettish in a pile in the back yard. Strangely, all my pets (dogs and cats mostly) have been OK with collars and name tags and that sort of thing. I switched to harnesses instead of the more traditional leashes a few years ago - do harnesses count? They are pretty colorful.

4. Tell us about your favorite activity this time of year. I love laying on the sofa with lights twinkling, listening to Christmas music in the evenings.

5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not? It doesn't bother me because at least it gets cold! LOL

6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what? A combination but mostly playlists. In my car I often listen to Sirius/XM channels.

7. How many candles do you own? I don't even know - many. I have an antique buffet that's mostly filled with candles. Do you prefer scented or unscented? I prefer scented. Electric/battery or the actual flame type? I like them both but I think I probably prefer the actual flame type.

8. Describe your very favorite memory from this time of year. OK so last year, I was with my oldest daughter and her family in Germany around Christmas time. No one does Christmas quite like the Germans. Anyway, the whole trip was full of fabulous memories, but I think this is my favorite: We went to midnight mass and it was in Latin, German and English. During the mass, which was mostly in candlelight, we sang Stille Nacht. In German. It was snowy outside. I stood in that old church in a little village in Germany, with my daughter and her family all around me, and candlelight, and listened to Stille Nacht as the snow fell outside and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

Old 12-14-2022, 07:04 AM

11,422 posts, read 9,351,902 times
1. How many holiday parties have you gone to so far? - Zero and there won't be any. The last was a then work function party 8 years ago and I did not have a good time. I walked out before the food was served, that's how bad I hated it. Loud religious "music" complete with offensive lyrics through distorted speakers had me heading to the exit in less than an hour. It was a large corporate function in a hotel restaurant and not just an office party.

2. Describe the weather so far this December where you live. - About average, cloudy or clear, mid-40s. Tomorrow it's supposed to turn colder with sleet.

3. If you have or had pets, describe any clothing items they have or had. - N/A

4. Tell us about your favorite activity this time of year. - N/A

5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not? - A little, prefer more daylight.

6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what? - CD's and regular car radio. I also watch a lot of YouTube.

7. How many candles do you own? Do you prefer scented or unscented? Electric/battery or the actual flame type? - I have a couple packed away somewhere.

8. Describe your very favorite memory from this time of year. - I don't have one.

Thanks, Kathryn!

Old 12-14-2022, 07:09 AM

3,256 posts, read 1,087,594 times
Good morning.

This year? None.
Lovely, then cold (45 F) and rainy, then again warm and sunny, then rainy again. Form now until the end of this year ...they say the weather is going to be warm again, no more rain.
None. They were naked all their lives.
Meditation.
5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not?
Yes. I like to go for walks in the forest sometimes -in the afternoon- and I can't do it now. Also, I like to knit outside, on the balcony/patio and there is not enough natural light to do it.
6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what?
Sirius radio in the car. Mostly youtube at home.
7. How many candles do you own? Do you prefer scented or unscented? Electric/battery or the actual flame type?
Two that I use, scented, flame type.
In meditation. Too private to describe.

Thanks KA.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:10 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,440,780 times

This year, none and I don’t want to go to any.

Humid with highs in the high 70s and low 80s up until this morning. Now it’s decided to be cold.

You don’t put clothing on cats.

I’m not sure.

Sometimes, sometimes not.

Amazon Music was by far my favorite, but last month they decided to make changes and absolutely wrecked itself. The only reason I keep the app is for the Mr. Ballen podcast, otherwise I’d delete it. I use the ad supported versions of Pandora, Spotify and an app called Musi that’s okay. Sometimes still download from iTunes. I also use YouTube.

I have several scented and some of those battery kind.

Hard to choose just one.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:30 AM

37,829 posts, read 41,166,888 times

zero since retired in 2007.

2. Describe the weather so far this December where you live. Wet and warm. Currently heavy rain.

3. If you have or had pets, describe any clothing items they have or had. N/A

4. Tell us about your favorite activity this time of year. Photographing migrating seagulls which are late at arriving this year. Only 4 here as of yesterday.

5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not? Yes because don't drive at night except for a meeting around the corner once per month.

6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what? I listen to CDs I burn myself from my iTunes playlists almost every night before going to sleep.

7. How many candles do you own? Do you prefer scented or unscented? Electric/battery or the actual flame type? No candles.

From QOTD 12/22/21 -What is your favorite memory from any December? When I was robbed in the bank on December 7 in the early 1970s. You didn't say it had to be good but it's the one I remember the most.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,870 posts, read 81,892,720 times
1. How many holiday parties have you gone to so far? None. The one at work is Monday but it's on one of my regular days to work from home, and supposed to snow, so I'm not going.

2. Describe the weather so far this December where you live. Snow and cold, about 12" over about 6 days, some still not melted after a week of rain.

3. If you have or had pets, describe any clothing items they have or had. We have had 1-2 dogs for probably 40 years, and none ever wore any kind of clothing.

4. Tell us about your favorite activity this time of year. Without the weather needed to be outside comfortably, I stick to indoor activities. So far I have painted the living room, installed new window coverings, and did some woodworking in my shop.

5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not? Yes, because it can be dark when I leave for work, and dark when I get home. Fortunately I work from home 3 days a week now.

6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what? I still have CDs in my truck but mostly listed to Sirius/XM in both my truck and my wife's car. At work I will use the Sirius app and listen in my office. I will sometimes listen to sports on AM radio if working in the yard and can't watch it on TV.

7. How many candles do you own? Do you prefer scented or unscented? Electric/battery or the actual flame type? I would have to guess, about 12 real candles, and 15-20 of the little battery votives.

8. Describe your very favorite memory from this time of year. It was very recent, about this time of year in 2021 when I rented a trailer and drove 120 miles to buy my 1974 Nova. I had a lot of fun tinkering and driving it this summer, but now it's resting for the winter.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:09 AM

18,269 posts, read 25,983,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

1. How many holiday parties have you gone to so far?one so far

2. Describe the weather so far this December where you live. Cold, my area won't hit 32 degrees until Saturday.

4. Tell us about your favorite activity this time of year.Listening to lots of music and reading.

5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not?Not a fan of DST.

6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what?Been buying CD's since 1985, been buying records since 1962. Local radio. Don't have Sirius.

7. How many candles do you own? Do you prefer scented or unscented? Electric/battery or the actual flame type?none right now, been meaning to buy a few candles though.

8. Describe your very favorite memory from this time of year.Just being a kid at Christmas time.

Thanks Kathryn!

Old 12-14-2022, 08:23 AM

126,434 posts, read 19,191,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

1. How many holiday parties have you gone to so far? 0

2. Describe the weather so far this December where you live. Cold,icy spots and we are expecting a big snowstorm tomorrow and will be digging out sometime on Friday afternoon

3. If you have or had pets, describe any clothing items they have or had. None of my dogs had clothing items,but my kids dogs have all assortment of funny clothing items

4. Tell us about your favorite activity this time of year. Love to cross-country ski in winter

5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not? It does not matter to me.With winter it is cozy putting candles on,having the fireplace on and enjoying a good book

6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what? I listen to my CDs,LPs,Spotify and Radio.net where I can listen to the stations playing in Europe

7. How many candles do you own? Do you prefer scented or unscented? Electric/battery or the actual flame type? I have a few boxes of taper and tea candles as well I received a few candles in glasses and jars. I like beeswax and vanilla aroma

8. Describe your very favorite memory from this time of year. Spending time with my mother and grandmothers baking in the Advent season,going on sleigh rides watching father cut down the perfect Christmas Tanne/tree.Christmas Eve with the whole family,singing around the festive decorated Christmas tree,performing our gift for our parents in form of a poem or sing a song with our instruments,then the pets got their treat in form of Frankfurters for the cats and Lyoner rings for the dogs.Then we watched our grandmothers open their gifts and lastly our parents turn came to open their gifts. Later we had our dinner,then we kids enjoyed the sweets that were hanging on the Christmas tree and we played games. Father finally sat down at the piano and we all young and old gathered around and joined him singing Stille Nacht/Heilige Nacht (Silent Night/Holy Night) and we kids performed the Andachtsjodler/spiritual yodeling tune. A bit before midnight the church bells rang to invite all villagers to the Christmette/Midnight service to celebrate Christmas Eve and ring in the first day of Christmas.These memories I never will forget and many traditions I have passed on to my kids................

Thank you Kathryn

Old 12-14-2022, 08:27 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,641,006 times
1. How many holiday parties have you gone to so far? None

2. Describe the weather so far this December where you live. Overcast, temps in the upper 50s-low 60s. 1.65" rain last night

3. If you have or had pets, describe any clothing items they have or had. I have never, and never will put any type of "clothing' on my dogs. Wife did put Santa hats on them for our Christmas card picture this year, but that's it.

4. Tell us about your favorite activity this time of year. All the baking

5. Does it bother you that the days are shorter this time of year? Why or why not? Doesn't bother me either way

6. Do you listen to CDs, play lists, Sirius/XM radio, Pandora, other radio stations, combination of the above, or what? I have a couple music stations I listen to on roku, plus our local channel on the car radio

Just 2 regular candles
8. Describe your very favorite memory from this time of year. Baking cookies with my mother. She took plates of cookies to
people all over town every year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics